Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Audax / Re: Sydney-Melbourne Alpine 1200 2017
« Last post by LittleWheelsandBig on Today at 03:21:11 pm »
David Thompson or Mark Thomas? Mark is a lawyer who used to own a bike shop (may still do so) and sometime soon (perhaps already) will be the person who has ridden the most 1200s ever. I don't know David and don't recognise his name.
Parts and Accessories / Re: Paramo repair
« Last post by Flite on Today at 03:20:33 pm »
You can repair Paramo kit yourself, but the firm makes a really good job of it in my experience. 
I have a general purpose/walking jacket and trousers, both about 16 years old and well used.  Couple of years ago, I got the pocket zip stuck on the trousers (clumsy arthritic hands), so sent them for assessment. For the minimum fee, they would replace the zip, and also mend a small tear in the leg, clean and reproof. (yes you do pay up front, and yes it can take quite a while).  Came back like new.  Last summer, I decided the jacket zip, although still functioning, might not manage another winter.  Again they assessed and replaced the main zip and the Velcro on the sleeves, clean and reproof.  The cleaning is much better than I can achieve at home, and getting it done in summer meant I didn't have to struggle along without it for long.
IIRC, That jacket was about £160, so it has cost me £10 per year so far, then I think it was £30 for the repairs, and now it has at least another 10 years in it.
I think that is good value.  It's also a really useful bit of kit - wearable in a wide range of conditions, so I only need one jacket for most uses.  (I am saving up for a lighter one for cycling)
Their paperwork may be a tad old-fashioned, but I do feel I'm talking to real people at Paramo
Audax / Re: Sydney-Melbourne Alpine 1200 2017
« Last post by Charlie Polecat on Today at 03:17:23 pm »
It's very sad about Ron Spargo and also Dr Ann Formaz-Preston in the adjoining article.

As many miles as I ride, there is no question that bikes and vehicles are not a good mix on major roads and the sound of a truck coming up behind always gives me pause wondering if the driver sees me and is paying attention.

It is interesting to see David Thomas riding in the 1200, this bloke rides 1200's all over the world. He runs a bike shop in the Seattle area and somehow finds the money to travel extensively. I think this ride must be the 6th 1200 he has ridden this year. Amazing fellow and I have yet to meet him but might if I manage to make the 1200 in Minnesota next August.
Food & Drink / Re: Proper old school greasy spoons
« Last post by Ham on Today at 03:11:33 pm »
I like regional variations in chippies.

Many years ago, when I lived in the Midlands, I'd never experienced or even considered putting gravy on chips. So I always like to do so when north of the Watford Gap. I like it very much.

I rememeber when one of my housemates at uni (from The NorthTM) came down to visit in the summer. We had a few beers and then went to a chippie and I fancied adding a Savaloy. When I ordered it he went "WHAT THE FOOK IS A SAVALOY?!!!"

Happy days  :P

You should have said "Something you can eat with a wally" ......
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by Wascally Weasel on Today at 03:11:30 pm »
Prior to the above, I finally caught up with Kingsman.

I know I shouldn't appreciate it but the OTT gratuitous violence and the camp lisp of Samuel L were absolutley brilliant.

The sequel is less good although it has its moments.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by zigzag on Today at 02:58:02 pm »
fettled my friends garmin1000 which wouldn't charge. it now charges.
Rides and Touring / Re: ACME Miscellany
« Last post by Oscar's dad on Today at 02:46:48 pm »
Carl, if you can ask him if there's anything he needs bringing in (within reason obvs...) then I'll try and pop over on Thursday to sort... grapes, lucozade, kebab - that sort of thing!

Okey dokey, I`d say sneak him a couple of bottles of beer, but I`m not sure if he can open them at the moment :'(

Surely the answer is obvious.  Just take him the Beer Bitch!
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by spesh on Today at 02:45:24 pm »
ROFLMAO ;D
Rides and Touring / Re: ACME Miscellany
« Last post by Carlosfandango on Today at 02:43:20 pm »
Carl, if you can ask him if there's anything he needs bringing in (within reason obvs...) then I'll try and pop over on Thursday to sort... grapes, lucozade, kebab - that sort of thing!

Okey dokey, I`d say sneak him a couple of bottles of beer, but I`m not sure if he can open them at the moment :'(
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Today at 02:43:10 pm »
"I can see clearly now the milk has come"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10