Author Topic: Replacement Brompton headset?  (Read 2074 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Replacement Brompton headset?
« on: 20 July, 2020, 12:31:25 pm »
What does the peanut gallery suggest for a replacement headset?

My steel Brompton’s original headset is serviceable but pretty rusty. An eBay Al Brompton headset turned out today to be steel. A stock Al B headset can be delivered for £15. Should I consider anything more expensive, if interested in function, rather than bling?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Replacement Brompton headset?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2020, 12:38:38 pm »
Over on LFGSS Ryan Hobbs, who is SJS's Brompton mechanic,  was recently (in the last couple of days) advocating a Joseph Kuosac one for about 20 quid - Best improvement you can make to a Brompton for least outlay - apparently.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2020, 01:04:52 pm »
Within a year of buying the bike (in about 2011) I replaced my Brompton's headset with the M Part Elite threaded, and it's been brilliant.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2020, 03:36:51 pm »
Tange Falcon FL270C has a pretty low stack and is a super headset.  Cane Creek bearings fit, in the unlikely event that it ever wears out.  I have a Chris King 2Nut but the head tube needed shaving slightly to fit it in.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2020, 09:54:13 am »
The Kuosac headset is not a perfect fit on my decade-old steel Brompton. The fork extends maybe four turns into the locknut, enough for reliable service but only about halfway into the locknut. Aggressively facing the head tube would improve matters.

The locknut is fully threaded and a too-long fork could protrude from the top. No chance of that here.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...