Author Topic: Sharps disposal  (Read 2619 times)

Re: Sharps disposal
« Reply #25 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:57:02 pm »

Who supplies/prescribes your injections? Mine are prescribed by Queen Square and supplied by Lloyd's (was BUPA, was Clinovia all from same premises) in Harlow.

Chelsea & Westminster - which has a Boots pharmacy.  I'll ask them next time I get a batch

« Reply #26 on: 12 April, 2021, 02:01:15 pm »
Put them into an empty ring-pull drinks can then crush the can and put into the recycling.

It would need to be a big can - and would serve no purpose! 

They are 5 inches long and have no exposed sharp bits - the needle retracts into the pen and the top goes back on.  There is nothing 'sharp' in the accepted sense, but that is how they are supposed to be disposed of, given the biohazardous nature of the product and my bodily fluids on the needle.  A problem is that they are so bulkly that they quickly fill up sharps bins

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 12 April, 2021, 03:34:36 pm »
IMO there are 'medical' and 'non-medical' sharps.

Non-medical sharps, including broken glassware can be stoutly packaged and thrown with the household waste. Most folk here have the ingenuity to make something sturdy enough not to puncture bin bags or injure waste collectors.

Medical waste carries a small risk of infecting others and needs different management. Appropriate sharps bins are available online (and maybe at pharmacies, I don't know!) for not very much.

The problem is then with collection of these bins. My suppliers collect my bins so 'I'm all right, Jack' but AIUI Councils are supposed to arrange this but it's obviously not happening. All those places now offering Covid jabs must have some way of getting THEIR sharps collected; seems a shame they can't just take the odd extra bin...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2021, 12:41:18 pm »
IMO there are 'medical' and 'non-medical' sharps.

Non-medical sharps, including broken glassware can be stoutly packaged and thrown with the household waste. Most folk here have the ingenuity to make something sturdy enough not to puncture bin bags or injure waste collectors.

Medical waste carries a small risk of infecting others and needs different management. Appropriate sharps bins are available online (and maybe at pharmacies, I don't know!) for not very much.

The problem is then with collection of these bins. My suppliers collect my bins so 'I'm all right, Jack' but AIUI Councils are supposed to arrange this but it's obviously not happening. All those places now offering Covid jabs must have some way of getting THEIR sharps collected; seems a shame they can't just take the odd extra bin...

^^^
This!

Any medical sharps need to be disposed of via the formal routes (one of the issues that the government overlooked in recent at home Covid testing where sharps were involved).  Sticking them in you waste bin risks sharps injuries to the binfolk... which can lead to all sorts of issues.

If your cannot find out who at your local authority is responsible, write/email the environmental health team.  They'll usually give the relevant party a kick up the 'arris.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor