Author Topic: How Not To Lock Up Your Bike  (Read 19450 times)

Re: How Not To Lock Up Your Bike
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2020, 09:33:52 pm »
I hadn't noticed this particular bike until I took the above photo but perhaps he/she routinely secures with tie-wraps.

This particular bike shed requires an RFID tag to enter/exit so is reasonably secure, a few people don't bother locking up at all.

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:37 am »
While you were all obsessing about the "tie wrap" securing the Cannondale, somebody has nicked the white Orbea next to it.
It's not a tie wrap.
It's one of these: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hiplok-z-lok-cable-tie-lock-twin-pack/rp-prod164159

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »
Today's edition of Badly Locked Bikes Of Birmingham:

See that front QR?  It was flapping in the breeze.  Not just unclamped, but totally loose, to the point where the lawyer lips were likely to be ineffective.  I did the decent thing, but didn't have anything with me to leave a note.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2020, 07:38:22 pm »
Isn't that the Cameron technique? Tho TBF you would probably need to remove the saddle and/or seatpost before slipping the lock out, and that requires, ooh, a 5mm allen key?
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2020, 08:15:54 pm »
I think it's technically an inverse-Cameron.  Cameron is lock through the bike frame and round an easily-lifted-over bollard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »
Now you've jogged my memory, I think you're right. I'd say this unknown person has a slight edge in the security stakes over the pink-faced smarmster. Probably better at being PM too.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2020, 10:23:18 am »
At least the lock is safe.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

sib

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2020, 10:40:55 am »
I found the clashing colours a strong deterrent.

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2020, 11:14:38 am »
See that front QR?  It was flapping in the breeze.  Not just unclamped, but totally loose, to the point where the lawyer lips were likely to be ineffective.  I did the decent thing, but didn't have anything with me to leave a note.
Maybe that was a security feature, easy to nick, faceplant before getting very far.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2020, 11:17:00 am »
Maybe that was a security feature, easy to nick, faceplant before getting very far.

I doubt the brakes were up to a faceplant.  Unexpected unicycle at the first speed bump seems more likely.

I assume it got that way because someone who doesn't undertand QR levers tightened it up wingnut style, and it loosened over time.  The state of the tyres suggests the bike's been ridden a decent amount, and it looked like the gears were in some approximation of working order, so presumably gently enough that the wheel was retained by gravity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2020, 11:32:58 am »
Someone otp, I think it was Wobbly John, recounts not discovering till after several jumps that the QR on his mtb's front wheel was not done up. At all.

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2020, 11:41:57 am »
"Several jumps" ?
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »
Something like that... I'm sure he'll be along in a while with the correct details.