Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 89709 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #700 on: 14 December, 2020, 11:04:21 am »
206km DIY on Sat around the war memorials of Hertfordshire. That’s my Dec ride done for RRTY. Visited 35 in total. Rain to about 2pm and strong westerly. Met Tomsk going opposite way on his Bricks and Moretaine 200 perm. Some comedy off road up a steep muddy hill in the Chilterns. Fortunately it was possible to gingerly ride down the other side to rejoin the roads.  Some really over the top Christmas light displays after sunset. Didn’t stop at any shops.  Had a flask of hot chocolate with me in addition to my water. Fantastic.

Socks

• Clennel Street on my touring bike
« Reply #701 on: 30 March, 2021, 08:21:04 pm »
At last, a 200k DIY.  And for the first time since last Summer, not from home.  Drove to Staindrop and did a nice circuit down to Winston (Whorlton bridge being closed for the foreseeable).  Quiet roads down to Northallerton, then a very badly surfaced stretch of main road to Thirsk with a gusty headwind and some fast traffic. 

Nice to get on the minor roads again zig zagging to make up the distance and bouncing across the increasingly rickety Aldwark bridge.  Back up to Boroughbridge, more lanes and a couple of loops to keep off main roads then through Northallerton again.

Very tired on the last stretch, the longest ride I've done some the beginning of December is only 45 miles.  Or maybe the unaccustomed heat, once the breeze was behind me it felt very warm.  I even took my jacket off.  Loads of daffodils, birds making a lot of noise including some crows who appeared to be working on making the next generation.  And two woodpeckers (heard, but couldn't see them).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #702 on: 01 May, 2021, 02:17:43 pm »
Yesterday, my 11th run around the Snow Roads 300, in consecutive years.
Ridden as a Perm, starting / finishing at Banchory.

Weather not great.
Front light failure had me ride the final hour over the Cairn o' Mount in darkness, with only the residual light in the sky and night-vision to see by.
I'm expecting comments in the local FB page 'Fubar News'!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5221690214

« Reply #703 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:46:40 pm »
Did the Devil's Punchbowl 100, plus the ride up and down to Steyning from Worthing. Great little Coffee shop 'cyclist friendly' sticker, just by the control called Cookies. Had an even fancier coffee in Shoreham on the way home, and maybe more cake was consumed...

Had my left pedal seize up (but not unrideably so) about 30k from finish, but still made the time limit, despite the annoying feeling everytime I pushed the left pedal round.