Author Topic: Bees under the deck  (Read 2645 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Bees under the deck
« on: 12 June, 2022, 05:57:43 pm »
We have a deck in the garden. In the past couple of weeks, we've noticed bees occasionally going beneath it, flying in and out through a small gap between one of the supports and the ground. Should we be concerned?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Bees under the deck
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2022, 07:09:02 pm »
Unless you have small children I would say no. They just want to go about their business in peace, and if they are bumblebees making a nest they will die out over the winter apart from the queens anyway. (According to the research I did when some bees started moving into our roof last weekend).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2022, 09:08:08 pm »
Or if you have a cat that likes to carry live bees in its mouth  :facepalm:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:36:37 am »
Well, the bees seem very happy, buzzing in and out. They are loving the large lavender bush just a few feet away and the cats have learned to keep their distance - whether through experience or intuition, I know not.  Over the winter, I'll plant some more bee-friendly attractions, in the hope that the queen survives and they'll be back next year.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2022, 11:42:48 am »
This year's queen will almost certainly die if they are bumble bees, but her queen-sized daughters will hopefully survive the winter and set up new colonies.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.