Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:12:29 am »
Re-purposed a rather primitive shoe rack I made as a temporary measure when we move here 2.5 years ago into a small outdoor log store for fire-bowl wood.  Now loaded with ex-whisky barrel oak off-cuts from a local bloke that makes furniture and tables from the barrels.
LEL 2022 / Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 11:12:16 am »
Not the first time I've heard those designations in audaxes, by a long way.
The effect is that the air that has to be displaced causes a surge in the liquid flow - surely people have been taught to pour with the opening at the top so that the air is displaced smoothly?

No, never been taught that, but it's something I've learned from experience.

University of life, mate, innit.

I was taught/told at age 12 by the woodwork master at school when pouring out some woodstain!   ..... but then do they still teach woodwork at schools nowadays?
GPS / Re: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Last post by Sergeant Pluck on Today at 11:06:58 am »
Now they've been bought out by SRAM

And immediately Shimano acted to ensure the Karoo won't work with Di2...
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:04:47 am »
How are they 'bricking' the devices?
Literally disabling them with an update?

https://www.hivehome.com/product-news   - stuff will work until 1 August 2025 - then it wont.

Hmm, I can understand them turning off the server support for cameras (gits).

Turning off a hub in your home so that it won't communicate with other devices in your home; not sure that can be legal.
I don’t know Hive specifically, but there’s a probability (these decisions are made by marketeers after all) that the kit has a contact home heartbeat and will refuse to work without connection to the server.

I think that may be what I just described!  (Not heard that expression before - crystal clear description!)
The Dark Side / Re: BHPC racing
« Last post by Kim on Today at 11:04:01 am »
Whose was the white and yellow Milan SL in the background?

Tim MacDonald.  (Top tip: You can map race numbers to riders by looking at the timing results.)
LEL 2022 / Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Last post by grams on Today at 11:03:49 am »
There’s a guy on Twitter calling the controls “CP2” and “CP4” and so on like it’s the TCR. I haven’t decided if it’s cute or grounds for a DQ.
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:03:03 am »

https://www.hivehome.com/product-news   - stuff will work until 1 August 2025 - then it wont.

Turning off a hub in your home so that it won't communicate with other devices in your home; not sure that can be legal.

I don't think it's a case of "turning off your hub" - AIUI all the activity/storage etc for all the Hive stuff is at their end - what they are going to do is "stop the function" in 2025.   The Hive hub is just, if you like, an extension to your own router with its own proprietary wifi that talks to all the Hive devices and relays to Hive HQ.
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 11:02:05 am »

I don’t know Hive specifically, but there’s a probability (these decisions are made by marketeers after all) that the kit has a contact home heartbeat and will refuse to work without connection to the server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10