Author Topic: a restaurant review I enjoyed  (Read 37309 times)

Re: a restaurant review I enjoyed
« Reply #175 on: 17 October, 2021, 12:31:36 pm »
I quite like the fact that this utter chancer is relieving these rich fools of so much money for such poor food.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #176 on: 17 October, 2021, 01:58:55 pm »
A fool and his money….

I love the fact that Jay can really *enjoy* unpretentious but tasty food, without hang-ups...

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #177 on: 18 October, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
As he says:
In my more benevolent moments, I wonder whether Mr Salt Bae isn’t actually having the last laugh. Unlike the billionaire Sultan of Brunei, owner of the most recent restaurant outrage at the Dorchester, he didn’t start a rich man. He came from a poor working-class family. Now he’s rinsing the rich and stupid. It could almost be inspiring.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #178 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:10:09 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #179 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:33:13 pm »
That Costa "mac n cheese" looks exactly like something next door's cat leaves in the garden.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #180 on: 02 March, 2022, 02:39:56 pm »
A long, brutal and very amusing review (complete with pictures to convey the full sanity-nomming horror) of what is apparently the worst Michelin-starred restaurant in the world - Bros, in Lecce, Puglia. I'll just quote the intro to set the mood...

There is something to be said about a truly disastrous meal, a meal forever indelible in your memory because it’s so uniquely bad, it can only be deemed an achievement. The sort of meal where everyone involved was definitely trying to do something; it’s just not entirely clear what.

I’m not talking about a meal that’s poorly cooked, or a server who might be planning your murder—that sort of thing happens in the fat lump of the bell curve of bad. Instead, I’m talking about the long tail stuff – the sort of meals that make you feel as though the fabric of reality is unraveling. The ones that cause you to reassess the fundamentals of capitalism, and whether or not you’re living in a simulation in which someone failed to properly program this particular restaurant. The ones where you just know somebody’s going to lift a metal dome off a tray and reveal a single blue or red pill.

I’m talking about those meals.

https://everywhereist.com/2021/12/bros-restaurant-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever/

I recommend also reading the comments... ;D
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.
And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #181 on: 02 March, 2022, 03:44:33 pm »
A long, brutal and very amusing review (complete with pictures to convey the full sanity-nomming horror) of what is apparently the worst Michelin-starred restaurant in the world - Bros, in Lecce, Puglia. I'll just quote the intro to set the mood...

Wow. That is incredible.

The citrus foam...  :sick:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

• why would any decent person have such thoughts?
« Reply #182 on: 02 March, 2022, 05:04:16 pm »
I thought that was terrifyingly ace. I was on tenterhook for anatomically and physiological precise genitalia later in the meal. Disappointed.

It's not my cup of tea, but it reads like they went to an avant-garde restaurant, ordered the 27-item tasting menu, and then complained they didn't get a main course.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets, the Putin of pandas

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #183 on: 02 March, 2022, 05:14:22 pm »
The trip advisor comments seem fairly evenly divided between "This isn't a meal!" and "Amazing!"

« Reply #184 on: 02 March, 2022, 05:54:01 pm »
I thought that was terrifyingly ace. I was on tenterhook for anatomically and physiological precise genitalia later in the meal. Disappointed.

Well, there was only one way the citrus foam course could have been worse:

"... we realised the dish wasn't a cast of the chef's mouth..."  :demon:
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster.
And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

« Reply #185 on: 04 March, 2022, 05:05:28 pm »

It's not my cup of tea, but it reads like they went to an avant-garde restaurant, ordered the 27-item tasting menu, and then complained they didn't get a main course.
They said there was no menu, that was the only option for food.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #186 on: 04 March, 2022, 05:40:15 pm »
Still, if you go to a poncy restaurant, that's what poncy restaurants do. If you want a kebab and chips, go to Mr Kebab not the Fat Duck. I have always imagined that school careers day was a pretty easy one for Mr Kebab.

It seems strainingly written for clicks, I'm not really sure what they expected. It's not the sort of restaurant that you're wandering by and think, oh let's pop in for dinner. One glance at their web page pretty much removes any surprise. You can even buy that mouth (either Floriano or Isabella, you can choose and have your own fun, and no, no, no, culinary use only – €58 each)
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets, the Putin of pandas

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #187 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:09:15 pm »
Jay Rayner branches out into music criticism  ;)
It was when they started pumping a soft, lilting chill-out cover of Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart into the dining room that I really began to lose the will to live. We’d already been subjected to spayed versions of Madonna classics. Now the DJ at Il Borro was subjecting us to an ugly, disfigured cover of the Manchester gloomster’s finest. I wasn’t sure which was worse: the dismal music or the seafood pasta with just one langoustine, one shrimp, three clams and three mussels for £46. Actually, I was sure. The music was very bad. The mean pasta was truly dismal.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jul/17/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-il-borro-london-the-music-was-bad-the-pasta-dismal

« Reply #188 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:59:34 pm »
Enjoyed reading that earlier. Not the sort of place I could afford anyway, but imagine finding yourself jammed in somewhere along that table in the photo, surrounded by "open-collared men sit staring at their phones, their faces bathed in a blue glow, or barking at each other about the latest top deals from HSBC Global.” Even the best of food would be no compensation.

« Reply #189 on: 18 July, 2022, 09:04:25 am »
Jay Rayner branches out into music criticism  ;)
It was when they started pumping a soft, lilting chill-out cover of Joy Division’s Love Will Tear Us Apart into the dining room that I really began to lose the will to live. We’d already been subjected to spayed versions of Madonna classics. Now the DJ at Il Borro was subjecting us to an ugly, disfigured cover of the Manchester gloomster’s finest. I wasn’t sure which was worse: the dismal music or the seafood pasta with just one langoustine, one shrimp, three clams and three mussels for £46. Actually, I was sure. The music was very bad. The mean pasta was truly dismal.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jul/17/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-il-borro-london-the-music-was-bad-the-pasta-dismal
Well, he IS a musician.

I really enjoyed that review. Not just for the sparky, snarky writing, but for the explicit mentions of (cheaper) places that produce the same food well.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #190 on: 18 July, 2022, 10:01:22 am »
Indeed, I had a lovely peposo in actual Tuscany last week. That restaurant sounds grim, the food doesn't even look that great in the photos.