Author Topic: Doorstep Milk delivery  (Read 10780 times)

Re: Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #100 on: 18 April, 2020, 02:53:32 pm »
I think the legal definition of a pint is now 568ml, and not by reference to any other standard.
Exactly.
Except for milk in returnable containers and draught beer, see earlier link.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #101 on: 18 April, 2020, 03:03:56 pm »
I think the legal definition of a pint is now 568ml, and not by reference to any other standard.
Exactly.
Except for milk in returnable containers and draught beer, see earlier link.
But the question is how do you define a pint?

In fact, SteveC is only partially correct - a pint is defined as 1/8 of a gallon, but a gallon is defined as 4.54609 litres.

(Until 1976 a gallon was defined as the volume of 10lb of water at 62F.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #102 on: 24 September, 2021, 02:09:14 pm »
My milk has not been delivered today.
I received an email timestamped 08.34 explaining this and another, stating I'd get a refund.

There's a REASON I always have (Mr Sainsbury's cheap plastic-bottled) milk in my freezer…

I'll probably cancel all deliveries around Christmas again.

T42

• Patron saint of the dry joint
« Reply #103 on: 24 September, 2021, 05:17:47 pm »
Around here people used to put a plastic bucket out, with one clothes-peg on the rim for every litre they wanted. The milk wasn't just poured into the bucket, it was in plastic blebs like Tetrapaks.  "Used to" because at some point in the last 20 years they stopped doing it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #104 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:43:01 pm »
My milk has not been delivered today.
I received an email timestamped 08.34 explaining this and another, stating I'd get a refund.
There's a REASON I always have (Mr Sainsbury's cheap plastic-bottled) milk in my freezer…
I'll probably cancel all deliveries around Christmas again.

8 weeks on: another cancelled delivery.

Friday receive an email advising me that New! Shiny! technology milkandmore is introducing might delay my next delivery.
Decided to get a 2 pint milk carton out of the freezer when milk hadn't appeared before we went to bed, as we keep silly hours.

Wake up to email cancelling delivery today due to 'unforeseen circumstances' + another email advising me of refund.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #105 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:47:56 pm »
Milk'n'More advised Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) that his payment this week would be going to not the usual recipient, but since he can read neither e-mails nor bank statements these days I doubt he cares.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:16:41 pm »
Milk'n'More advised Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) that his payment this week would be going to not the usual recipient, but since he can read neither e-mails nor bank statements these days I doubt he cares.

I had a similar email last week.

I didn't think to look at my bank statement, despite usually visiting my bank's website about four times per week.

It somewhat defeats the object of doorstep deliveries if the only way to be sure of a constant. reliable milk supply is to keep a freezer stocked with Sainsbury's plastic cows.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #107 on: 24 November, 2021, 05:49:07 pm »
D spoke to the milkman when he met him as he returned from the gym at dark o'clock today.

Apparently the dairy had changed his round and his electric van/float battery went flat.

I didn't realise they used electric vehicles. I knew they did in Days of Yore.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #108 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:02:06 am »
We have had the milk man knocking on our door twice, in the last few months trying to sell their service. Looking at the back steps around here when out walkies. This door knocking have clearly helped their business.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #109 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:39:43 am »
Milkman has delivered my 'distress purchase' of two loaves of bread and three pints of milk for the weekend.