Author Topic: Been inspired by something a character eats or drinks?  (Read 5983 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Been inspired by something a character eats or drinks?
« Reply #25 on: 05 March, 2022, 08:24:26 pm »
Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.

That sounds like a damn good lunch to me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 05 March, 2022, 08:30:01 pm »
Anyone done One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich?

First read that while serving a ten-stretch at st custards.  The similarities were remarkable ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:14:00 pm »
Having encountered a Several of ScotPlod nomming macaroni pies in divers novels I am intrigued, though not enough to travel to Scotlandland to seek one out.

Morrisons in London sell them from time to time on the hot counter.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #28 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:18:01 pm »
I went to a colleague's wedding a few years ago. At the reception, there was a choice of two cocktails on arrival - his wife had chosen Bellinis, he had chosen White Russians. I don't know if he'd ever had a White Russian before, but he was a fan of The Big Lebowski so it seemed like a good idea.

Absolutely no one touched the White Russians, everyone went for the Bellinis.

Who ever thought putting milk in an alcoholic drink was a good idea?

Anyone who ever spent an evening imbibing Steve “Knobber” Nixon's Brandy Alexanders*.  Hic!

* OK, so it’s supposed to be cream rather than milk…

Amaretto sour has raw albumen in it.

« Reply #29 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:28:14 pm »
Having encountered a Several of ScotPlod nomming macaroni pies in divers novels I am intrigued, though not enough to travel to Scotlandland to seek one out.

I made macaroni pie for my last audax, it's surprisingly hard to explain to English folk who haven't encountered it. Those who tried it seemed to enjoy it, and it looks like I invented the Macaroni Pie Floater (Mac pie inna bowl of soup).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #30 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:32:01 pm »
Now I want a macaroni pie supper anna pickled egg  :P

« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2022, 10:46:39 pm »
I still have a bit in the freezer (for research purposes, you understand, there's always a time when you just want some beige food encased in more beige food).

Someone commented that mac pie doesn't normally have a lid, but what is a pie without a lid?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #32 on: 05 March, 2022, 11:04:05 pm »
I still have a bit in the freezer (for research purposes, you understand, there's always a time when you just want some beige food encased in more beige food).

Someone commented that mac pie doesn't normally have a lid, but what is a pie without a lid?

Quiche  ;)

Always thought macaroni pie was cheesy macaroni in a pork pie style crust.  Then the lid is melted grated cheese. 

There is a similar pie, a easter rice pie made with, ricotta or mascarpone and sweet crust.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 06 March, 2022, 02:53:44 am »

A flan.

HTH HAND :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2022, 07:21:04 am »
Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.

No longer remember the inspiration, but once tried devilled kidneys for Christmas breakfast à la stately home.  Once was enough: they killed my appetite for lunch.

Something I've fancied trying since I read about it was done by a Dickens character, quoted in Dorothy Hartley's wonderful Food in England: he hung a piece of pork on his door-key and suspended this from the mantel by a string so that it could twirl in front of his fire until well-roasted.

I hope he had a pan underneath for the dripping.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #35 on: 11 November, 2022, 12:46:00 am »

No longer remember the inspiration, but once tried devilled kidneys for Christmas breakfast à la stately home.  Once was enough: they killed my appetite for lunch.

Something I've fancied trying since I read about it was done by a Dickens character, quoted in Dorothy Hartley's wonderful Food in England: he hung a piece of pork on his door-key and suspended this from the mantel by a string so that it could twirl in front of his fire until well-roasted.

I hope he had a pan underneath for the dripping.
I have nothing further to add, at the moment, but I notice that the last comment was posted on my birthday, then the thread has lain dormant ever since. As the OP,  that's oddly pleasing.

Of course, I've ruined it now...