Author Topic: The Flattish ACME Grand 01/09/2022  (Read 23597 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
The Flattish ACME Grand 01/09/2022
« on: 27 March, 2022, 05:42:37 pm »
Provisional information and routesheet uploaded to AUKweb. Bits that are new and not borrowed from The Flatlands, LEL etc may get checked in the next few months. Planning to check the Oakham to Chatteris section this week, including a cycle route skirting Peterborough.

dod

Re: The Flatish ACME Grand 01/09/2022
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2022, 08:09:52 pm »
There are some nice cycle paths in the new developments on the south of Peterborough, but the older paths tend to be broken up and strewn with glass. Going a bit further south, through Norman Cross-Yaxley-Holme-Ramsey might be a better option.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2022, 07:35:12 am »
There are some nice cycle paths in the new developments on the south of Peterborough, but the older paths tend to be broken up and strewn with glass. Going a bit further south, through Norman Cross-Yaxley-Holme-Ramsey might be a better option.

Thanks - I know the Norman Cross route well, but I'll have a nose around and see ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2022, 08:43:15 am »
Interesting and instructive pootle around stage 14 of the Grand yesterday ... with a cold north-easterly cross/head wind. The rain didn't amount to much though, but I got the train back from Ely rather than riding home through the night!

The bridleway from Elton to Haddon is rideable, (old lane, truncated by the A605) - but care is needed at the main road crossing. The Peterborough Green Wheel was rough but do-able. For both I'll have road alternatives that are only a little further and certainly advised for recumbents, velomobiles and tandems!

Out on the Fens, Straight Drove definitely turns into a farm road with no right of way, so back to the B road to Pondersbridge.

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2022, 09:57:50 am »
Interesting and instructive pootle around stage 14 of the Grand yesterday ... with a cold north-easterly cross/head wind. The rain didn't amount to much though, but I got the train back from Ely rather than riding home through the night!

The bridleway from Elton to Haddon is rideable, (old lane, truncated by the A605) - but care is needed at the main road crossing. The Peterborough Green Wheel was rough but do-able. For both I'll have road alternatives that are only a little further and certainly advised for recumbents, velomobiles and tandems!

Out on the Fens, Straight Drove definitely turns into a farm road with no right of way, so back to the B road to Pondersbridge.

Sounds like a productive day. On Streetview, the bit where Streetview finishes on Straight Drove doesn't really show what lies up ahead, but when you check where it rejoins the B road it looks very gravelly. I can imagine it gets very rough around where the farms are ... and in any case, not open to the public.

Did you use the A606 around Rutland Water? When I was checking route options I found heading up via Burley and then across to Great Casterton adds 2km for that section, but would be much more pleasurable.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2022, 11:21:47 am »
The A606 isn't too bad to cycle on and you do get some decent views over Rutland Water which I don't think you can see from the alternative route.

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2022, 03:28:16 pm »
Using the bullock road between Elton and Haddon would mean no A605 crossing as that road goes over on a bridge.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2022, 08:47:27 pm »
The A606 isn't too bad to cycle on and you do get some decent views over Rutland Water which I don't think you can see from the alternative route.

A606 isn't anywhere near the desired route, unfortunately. It goes northwards via Ashwell and comes back from Cottesmore. You can get glimpses of Rutland Water from the A6003 south of Oakham which is taken in both directions on the route.

Using the bullock road between Elton and Haddon would mean no A605 crossing as that road goes over on a bridge.

Yes indeed, that'll be my alternative option. The Greenhill Road crossing is ok, as sight-lines are good and there's a chevronned centre with 'crawler lane' which helps. I found it quite do-able mid-afternoon.

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:06:15 am »
I've been umming and ahing about riding the 1000, so thought I'd take another look at my outline route. When I first plotted it I'd not spotted that Pocklington was visited in both directions. Oops! I'm now up to 1040km, but all on quiet lanes.

When is the official GPX going to be available Tomsk?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2022, 01:29:20 pm »
Wasn't long thinking I'd better start plotting the route and thinking about where to stop, not sure I fancy 3 nights roughing it.
Hot footing it down the road from Barra with an overnight at home so I expect to be totally unprepared in unknown territory... (Except I've ridden Deano's Yorkshire Grit and YviaE)

I remember being quick for me on the first day of YviaE then slow, very very slow the second day.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2022, 03:23:46 pm »
When is the official GPX going to be available Tomsk?

Wilkyboy is working on it, but there's the three Hopstock routes to do too ... the routesheet is on AUKweb. I'm intending emailing riders once the gpx is done, or by the week before LEL whichever is earlier - ie soon!

I'm thinking of a bivvy extravaganza for the Grand (depending on the weather outlook), and then really appreciating the luxury of the Dutch Trip the week after.

felstedrider

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2022, 03:47:12 pm »
I did put together a brief plan a couple of weeks back based on the routesheet but it probably needs work.

I'm going on tour in the meantime so I will take another look closer to the time.

« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2022, 04:39:18 pm »
 :) Like to a see GPX (not my forte) but useless without one…& think it’s a good qualifier for PBP ‘23.
That extra day to get on list & pick start day/time may be critical next year, there seems to be more entrants each event, as there seems to be more ‘advertising’ via bike mags etc . Third time I may be quicker  :thumbsup:  ;D

felstedrider

« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2022, 05:02:49 pm »
I did put together a brief plan a couple of weeks back based on the routesheet but it probably needs work.

I'm going on tour in the meantime so I will take another look closer to the time.

In a brief moment of organisation I have booked the Yorkway Hotel for Friday night.   600k in 30-31hrs gets me there dinner time.   Menu looks good.

300k on Saturday get me to Chatteris.   Nearest Travelodge is Ely but it seems to be £167.   Need to think about that a bit more.

« Reply #14 on: 26 July, 2022, 06:33:56 pm »
:) Like to a see GPX (not my forte) but useless without one…& think it’s a good qualifier for PBP ‘23.
That extra day to get on list & pick start day/time may be critical next year, there seems to be more entrants each event, as there seems to be more ‘advertising’ via bike mags etc . Third time I may be quicker  :thumbsup:  ;D

It’s a much bigger gap than just a day between entry for different pre qualification distances.

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:58:36 pm »

In a brief moment of organisation I have booked the Yorkway Hotel for Friday night.   600k in 30-31hrs gets me there dinner time.   Menu looks good.

300k on Saturday get me to Chatteris.   Nearest Travelodge is Ely but it seems to be £167.   Need to think about that a bit more.

Peterborough Travelodge is cheaper, about £85 for the Saturday. You may need to adjust your route a little.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:40:01 pm »
What's the provision of ultra-budget hotels like?

felstedrider

« Reply #17 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:17:00 pm »

Peterborough Travelodge is cheaper, about £85 for the Saturday. You may need to adjust your route a little.

Yeah, there’s that or, possibly, trying to get home.   I can then ride to Witham and back Sunday morning to check in.   I think this might be a stretch, though.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 27 July, 2022, 07:39:04 am »
What's the provision of ultra-budget hotels like?

I've not looked at Audax Hotels yet, but I'm considering taking bivvy kit in a big saddlebag - it's flat enough to be a reasonable option - and several made it round the 2021 AAA edition sleeping out every night ...

« Reply #19 on: 27 July, 2022, 10:12:45 am »
Due to poor planning on my part (I forgot) we've a family BBQ on the Saturday evening, looks like no time for a bivvy and just ride from start to finish   :facepalm:

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2022, 09:00:14 pm »
I have booked sleeping on the first two nights and will ride overnight to the finish. I hate starting a multiday ride with an overnight ride.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #21 on: 28 July, 2022, 09:09:22 am »
I've booked at the Yorkway at Pocklington, but will also take a bivvy bag in case one sleep isn't enough
How much can a koala bear?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #22 on: 29 July, 2022, 05:11:39 pm »
Hi just booking train tickets to Witham. From Liverpool Street is it an intercity that needs a bike reservation or a local service that I can just jump on with my bike? I do not know these services and the GA web site I am not finding very clear.

Thanks BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

felstedrider

« Reply #23 on: 29 July, 2022, 05:32:25 pm »
Hi just booking train tickets to Witham. From Liverpool Street is it an intercity that needs a bike reservation or a local service that I can just jump on with my bike? I do not know these services and the GA web site I am not finding very clear.

Thanks BB

They are local services.   Just hop on with your bike.

(There’s limitations coming into town in rush hour but not the opposite way)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #24 on: 29 July, 2022, 07:32:00 pm »

Thanks BB

They are local services.   Just hop on with your bike.

(There’s limitations coming into town in rush hour but not the opposite way)
Thanks. I will get the ticket on the day and catch the first train. The Trains from Reading to London Paddington I have to book on GWR.

BB