Author Topic: Hopstock Audaxes 20/08/2022  (Read 776 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Hopstock Audaxes 20/08/2022
« on: 22 July, 2022, 07:43:13 am »
Audax Club Mid-Essex and The Compasses, Littley Green present the Hopstock Audaxes on Saturday 20th August 2022.

200, 120 and 50km routes starting at 08:00, 09:00 and 10:00 respectively. Audax/Beer Festival car parking nearby, camping, b&b at the pub and Beer Festival catering from 07:00. £5 entry fee via audax.uk
A good opportunity for a post-LEL meeting and late summer wind-down.

The 200km is based on the 'Bricks and Moretaine' permanent, with controls at Jordan's Mill cafe, Broom near Biggleswade, Marston Moretaine (free control) and Spoke cyclists' cafe near Codicote. The 120km is and out-and-back route to Spoke and the 50km features a delightful pootle (at 8.3kph minimum speed!) to the legendary Blue Egg cyclists' cafe near Great Bardfield.

Routesheets and further info on audax.uk with gps tracks available to riders nearer the time.

Beer Festival info at : http://www.compasseslittleygreen.co.uk/

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Hopstock Audaxes 20/08/2022
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2022, 09:11:34 am »
hmmmm...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2022, 10:57:15 am »
Entered.

A/c at Braintree Premier Inn

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2022, 08:23:46 pm »
An appeal for controllers at Jordans Mill cafe and Spoke: I had a local volunteer in mind for the latter, but it's not worked out - however the cafe staff now say they are happy to stamp and time brevets themselves and it's a long stint for both rides (11:28 - 17:16 combined). Whereas at Jordan's it's just from 10:32 to 13:04 for the 200km. Possibly a controller could be on the event, leave an hour or so early and then carry on to complete the ride after the last riders are through, and then be back at the Compasses for a few pints on expenses!

Jordan's has some bike parking (Sheffield-type stands), but I feel needs someone to keep order there as there's a large outdoor seating area with railings by the mill pond and associated buildings. Spoke is of course well equipped with parking infrastructure

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2022, 08:57:16 am »
I’ve asked my helper on my audax yesterday if he fancies manning Spoke for half the shift. We would then be able to cover it between us. A week after LEL I’d be happy with a short ride to Spoke, as one of my recovery rides.  Watch this space, should have an answer today or tomorrow.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 24 July, 2022, 09:42:46 am »
I’ve asked my helper on my audax yesterday if he fancies manning Spoke for half the shift. We would then be able to cover it between us. A week after LEL I’d be happy with a short ride to Spoke, as one of my recovery rides.  Watch this space, should have an answer today or tomorrow.

:thumbsup: Cheers Phil!

Spoke have everything you'll need control-wise: rubber stamp, extra event signage ... and food + drink on expenses. Mechanical assistance for riders too, if required. I'll send you some funds when you confirm.

« Reply #6 on: 24 July, 2022, 01:24:02 pm »
Heard back from my helper.  That’s a positive, we can control Spoke for the times stated. We will split into a first shift and second shift, with a short overlap for handover.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2022, 06:51:14 pm »
Excellent, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Still need someone, maybe a rider on the 200km event for Jordan's Mill.

« Reply #8 on: 24 July, 2022, 07:48:03 pm »

Put me down.  Family’s away so I have no need to rush round.  I’m on tour from next weekend for a week but should be recovered enough by the 20th.

I’ll just need to pop round and collect a card during the week.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2022, 08:26:57 pm »

Put me down.  Family’s away so I have no need to rush round.  I’m on tour from next weekend for a week but should be recovered enough by the 20th.

Many thanks - I'll be back from LEL the week before if you want to get a brevet and stamp then - otherwise I'll be at the Compasses from 07:00 on 20th Aug. I can send you AUK control signs/arrows or you can get them off the website?

« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2022, 08:38:18 pm »

Many thanks - I'll be back from LEL the week before if you want to get a brevet and stamp then - otherwise I'll be at the Compasses from 07:00 on 20th Aug. I can send you AUK control signs/arrows or you can get them off the website?

I’ll either pop by Friday as I usually WFH (early evening ?) or I’ll drop by the pub at 7am and set straight off.   It’s a few weeks away so I’ll drop you a line closer to the time and confirm.

I’m supposed to be meeting a mate at Spokes as well so I won’t finish terribly early.

« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2022, 08:28:21 am »
Incidentally, Stebbing Road is closed by the school.   Proper closed as you can't get through by bike.   We have a few weeks yet so will keep an eye out.

« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2022, 01:43:46 pm »
An appeal for controllers at Jordans Mill cafe and Spoke: I had a local volunteer in mind for the latter, but it's not worked out
I'm really sorry to be the "not worked out" - I simply have to be at home that weekend, for the reasons I explained to Tomsk. But I learnt last night, at the club 10, that a couple of my clubmates have chosen this as their first foray into Audaxes. Hopefully all my posts on the club Facebook page about the rides I've done are bearing a little fruit at last. I'm just sorry it's not one I can do.

So do watch out for them everyone :-)