Author Topic: WFH rejig  (Read 64460 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: WFH rejig
« Reply #575 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:22:17 am »
I built my own, using a cheap-ish commercial summer house structure (pics earlier in thread). With insulation, heating, and electrics, it came to about £3K. I've had to add a de-humidifier, as it has no opening windows and I've moved the turbo in there. I will install a couple of opening windows when the weather is a bit more pleasant for working outside.

Meantime, the old shed that was attached to the house is being reduced to rubble and a new slab will be laid to allow a rather more substantial home office/studio/gym to be constructed (by me), with a shower room incorporated. Should be about 5x4m. Still essentially a timber shed, but insulated and soundproofed to at least household standards. Once complete, the 'old' studio will regain its intended role as a summer house and, um, bar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #576 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:39:50 am »
I built my own, using a cheap-ish commercial summer house structure (pics earlier in thread). With insulation, heating, and electrics, it came to about £3K. I've had to add a de-humidifier, as it has no opening windows and I've moved the turbo in there. I will install a couple of opening windows when the weather is a bit more pleasant for working outside.

Meantime, the old shed that was attached to the house is being reduced to rubble and a new slab will be laid to allow a rather more substantial home office/studio/gym to be constructed (by me), with a shower room incorporated. Should be about 5x4m. Still essentially a timber shed, but insulated and soundproofed to at least household standards. Once complete, the 'old' studio will regain its intended role as a summer house and, um, bar.

Unless cost is the ultimate motivator, I'd look at prefab for the new extension, otherwise known as SIPs.  Makes work so much quicker and easier.

Of course, you could well have already thought of the construction method, in which case ignore me :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #577 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:00:54 am »
Whatever building structure you go for I highly recommend a combined heating aircon unit (pictures up thread) - I'm loving mine.  It cost £1.2k including installation and is supposedly no more expensive to run than traditional electric heaters and it cools as well which will be very useful in the summer as my home office can turn into an oven.  Its also extremely quiet so won't upset your neighbours.   If I switch it on early in the morning or am still working in the evening I use the "outdoor unit  low noise" function just in case.

TimC

« Reply #578 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:21:21 am »

Unless cost is the ultimate motivator, I'd look at prefab for the new extension, otherwise known as SIPs.  Makes work so much quicker and easier.

Of course, you could well have already thought of the construction method, in which case ignore me :D

Mine needed planning permission and Listed Building Consent, so it had to be a custom structure to fit the exact location and profile of existing buildings, so prefab was not ever a possibility. Including some fairly major groundwork with drainage, it will come in at around £25k. I couldn't get anywhere near that with any of the commercial home office people.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #579 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:30:26 am »
@TimC, one word. OUCH!

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #580 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:47:21 am »
I bet he has a moat.

TimC

« Reply #581 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:51:31 am »
I bet he has a moat.

Well, I've discovered some soakaways I didn't know anything about! Destruction is ongoing....

And this is what it should end up looking like...

(the plain door is the selected version)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #582 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:56:49 am »
I bet he has a moat.

And a deer park  ;D

[I know where TimC lives so know he doesn't have a deer park which frankly is disappointing!]

TimC

« Reply #583 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:57:24 am »
Sorry, Steve! I do get muntjack in the garden occasionally!

As you know, I used to have a river, which is rather better than a moat!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #584 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:58:39 am »
Sorry, Steve! I do get muntjack in the garden occasionally!

Well I suppose that's something although we do get muntjack in Shitham so I think you need to try harder!

TimC

« Reply #585 on: 03 February, 2021, 10:00:43 am »
If that chimney is still used Tim it needs lining.

No, it houses a cupboard in the kitchen. Yes, we had a bit of a chuckle at the amount of blowing evidence there is. We had rather less of a chuckle at what a poor state the wall is in generally. It's been covered up by another shed for the last 130 years or so, and no-one's obviously bothered to have a look until now. It basically needs rebuilding. Of course, there are no foundations...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #586 on: 03 February, 2021, 11:10:07 am »
Whatever building structure you go for I highly recommend a combined heating aircon unit (pictures up thread) - I'm loving mine.  It cost £1.2k including installation and is supposedly no more expensive to run than traditional electric heaters and it cools as well which will be very useful in the summer as my home office can turn into an oven.  Its also extremely quiet so won't upset your neighbours.   If I switch it on early in the morning or am still working in the evening I use the "outdoor unit  low noise" function just in case.

This is my only significant concern about mine - summer and heat!

I have electric underfloor and I have to say, the building as a whole is outperforming the house in terms of heat loss overnight even with the very cold nights we're having.  Looking at the data on the EUFH, it's coming on for a pre-heat of less than an hour most mornings - the controller is still learning and did manage some dramatic overshoots early on (hit 23 degrees on a 19 degree target).

But summer is concerning - the office is north-facing so gets most of it's direct sunshine in the mornings; so there will be mitigation in the form of making sure the blinds are closed to reduce solar gain in the morning etc.

I am not morally adverse to looking at AC (though I actually don't have a lot of wall space for the unit) but want to see how things perform over summer as I'd rather try and avoid adding to my already significant carbon footprint etc.!

Before it was furnished (and before blinds were fitted), we did get some very hot days and the sealed box went up to 35 degrees - I was pleased to see how quickly the temperature came down with airflow though and I am hopeful that I can keep the temperature down to start with.

Anyway - time will tell whether I made a misjudgement.

As for value to property, it wasn't a consideration for us, but it does ease the pain (though there are some slight accounting/tax challenges if we did sell as my company built the office for me so I really need to let the asset depreciate and then the company dispose of it at a 'fair value' but it's on a fairly long depreciation schedule (I actually don't know how long off the top of my head)).

We're about to do my wife's office next - again the joinery by Kerf - so we end up with a 2-bedroom cottage with 2 fitted home offices - kind of niche, but for a childless couple who run two businesses from home, it works for us!

@TimC - that's going to look bob on that - love the floor to roof apex window!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #587 on: 03 February, 2021, 11:19:36 am »
@marcusjb  My outside aircon unit isn't wall mounted it sits on the ground...

Untitled by Steve Rowley, on Flickr

I shall shortly be boxing it in to make it less conspicuous whist not interfering with airflow.  In real life its smaller than it appears in the photo (as the bishop never said to the actress)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #588 on: 03 February, 2021, 11:36:52 am »
It's my internal wall-space that's limited - too much joinery!

Outside, I've got options - some more ideal but rather more visually challenging.

Anyway - we'll see; I'm hopeful that I will be able to manage the heat and on those truly ridiculous 30+ degree days, I can always take a laptop and go and work in the house and/or under the shade of a tree.
Right! What's next?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #589 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:30:13 pm »

Outside, I've got options - some more ideal but rather more visually challenging.

Anyway - we'll see; I'm hopeful that I will be able to manage the heat and on those truly ridiculous 30+ degree days, I can always take a laptop and go and work in the house and/or under the shade of a tree.

The footprint of my indoor unit (Fujitsu) is 260x830mm and it sticks out by 210mm.

« Reply #590 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:35:15 pm »
Anyway - we'll see; I'm hopeful that I will be able to manage the heat and on those truly ridiculous 30+ degree days, I can always take a laptop and go and work in the house and/or under the shade of a tree. day off and play in the hills

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #591 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:38:55 pm »
Anyway - we'll see; I'm hopeful that I will be able to manage the heat and on those truly ridiculous 30+ degree days, I can always take a laptop and go and work in the house and/or under the shade of a tree. day off and play in the hills

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #592 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:55:31 pm »

The footprint of my indoor unit (Fujitsu) is 260x830mm and it sticks out by 210mm.

The two walls without joinery are covered in pesky windows and doors!

I have options if I do need to do it - smaller indoor split units are available or I could go full-on FCU in the shed part of the building and grille into the office part; but that would get costly.

But, ideally, I will be able to manage the temperature okay.  The blinds should have good performance for reducing solar gain and the airflow once the side and rear windows are open is very good.
Right! What's next?

TimC

« Reply #593 on: 03 February, 2021, 01:40:06 pm »
I never thought about aircon - I might well have a look at that...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #594 on: 03 February, 2021, 02:38:22 pm »
I never thought about aircon - I might well have a look at that...

The fella I used is based in Braintree so I'd imagine he'd cover your area.  Let me know if you want his contact details.

« Reply #595 on: 03 February, 2021, 03:48:18 pm »
I had an airsource heatpump on my list of requirements when I started investigating the garden office more seriously. I've been advised that it would be overkill for my needs, as the office is going to be so well sealed and insulated that it'll take very little to warm up the air. I'm therefore going to start with an oil-filled radiator to see how much truth there was in this guidance, and could always add the airsource heatpump at a later stage if needed.

I do have an MVHR being installed though - it filters the air, extracting heat as air is expelled, and warming incoming air. That'll avoid stale air, and I guess running out of oxygen if I stay in there too long!

Build is due to start on 15th Feb, and take 5 days. I've not been told its been delayed yet ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #596 on: 03 February, 2021, 04:12:05 pm »
If it is as well insulated as my office, they really do not take a lot to heat.

MVHR is not a bad idea though - being well sealed, the air can get stuffy if you don’t crack the window open etc.

Pictures of the build when they start please!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #597 on: 03 February, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »

Sure. I did ask if I could rig up a timelapse camera, but that went down like a lead balloon!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #598 on: 03 February, 2021, 07:23:52 pm »
5th February!  Exciting!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #599 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:17:12 pm »

Sure. I did ask if I could rig up a timelapse camera, but that went down like a lead balloon!

What have they got to hide?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.