Author Topic: What tool to score a tiled floor?  (Read 2495 times)

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
What tool to score a tiled floor?
« on: 14 July, 2021, 12:22:15 pm »

A flooring company will be coming to lay something liquid to level this tiled floor so that a linoleum floor can be laid and will not, over time, sink into the ridges of the existing floor.

I have been asked to prepare the floor by scoring the tiles to ensure that the levelling compound has a better ability to stick to the tiles. Is there a correct tool to use? I have approximately 20 square metres to prepare.

Re: What tool to score a tiled floor?
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2021, 12:29:14 pm »
I would have thought that a scribing tool for tile cutting would suffice.

« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2021, 12:30:22 pm »
Glass cutter.

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2021, 12:58:00 pm »
What if at some point later in life someone want's to revert back to the nice original floor that they hope is under the Lino, only to lift it and find all the tiles badly scored?
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2021, 01:20:54 pm »
What if at some point later in life someone want's to revert back to the nice original floor that they hope is under the Lino, only to lift it and find all the tiles badly scored?
Once they've had self-levelling screed laid over them, there'll be no going back to the tiles.

« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2021, 01:22:37 pm »
 With that area, an angle grinder with a suitable cutting disc. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2021, 04:17:03 pm »

Nothing less will do - and wear goggles when you're doing the work - and I would be inclined to rout out the existing tile grouting as well to let more levelling compound into the "slots" and get a better surface for the new floor covering.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2021, 06:20:38 pm »
Glass cutter.

I had a look at these. If I only had one or two tiles to do they would do nicely. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nothing less will do - and wear goggles when you're doing the work - and I would be inclined to rout out the existing tile grouting as well to let more levelling compound into the "slots" and get a better surface for the new floor covering.

That is kind of what I expected to be told, so today became a tool n+1 day as I added an angle grinder to the pile. I had not heard of a diamond cup grinder but it proved to be the right tool for the job, even if it cost more than half the price of the angle grinder. Thanks, Roger, for mentioning the tile grouting as the thought was in my mind but I wasn't sure what to do. I will do that after I have ground the whole floor. As for PPE, I am used to using masks (multiple), goggles, ear defenders, gloves and knee pads so I think I will be ok, but better to suggest it than assume everyone will automatically know what to do.

I ground one tile to test it out. Now I have a photo to check with the flooring company that I am doing enough.

That is a great question, WCTD, but the floor has holes in it from the previous user's plasterboard walls that I removed, plus a doorway has been moved and more, meaning there are areas where there is now screed, not tiles, so I am not concerned about preserving the tiled floor.

Jaded, you are a one!

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2021, 07:19:01 pm »
Glass cutter.

I had a look at these. If I only had one or two tiles to do they would do nicely. Thanks for the suggestions.

That is kind of what I expected to be told, so today became a tool n+1 day as I added an angle grinder to the pile. I had not heard of a diamond cup grinder but it proved to be the right tool for the job, even if it cost more than half the price of the angle grinder. Thanks, Roger, for mentioning the tile grouting as the thought was in my mind but I wasn't sure what to do. I will do that after I have ground the whole floor. As for PPE, I am used to using masks (multiple), goggles, ear defenders, gloves and knee pads so I think I will be ok, but better to suggest it than assume everyone will automatically know what to do.

I ground one tile to test it out. Now I have a photo to check with the flooring company that I am doing enough.

That is a great question, WCTD, but the floor has holes in it from the previous user's plasterboard walls that I removed, plus a doorway has been moved and more, meaning there are areas where there is now screed, not tiles, so I am not concerned about preserving the tiled floor.

Jaded, you are a one!

HTH - that looks very much like the "value angle grinder" from ALDI! -  AND having done a similar job with floor levelling myself over a part tiled/part concrete (but at the same level) make sure they put a good thick covering of the levelling compound down - if there are thin patches or it feathers away to an edge it often cracks or de-laminates.

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #10 on: 14 July, 2021, 08:15:24 pm »
HTH - that looks very much like the "value angle grinder" from ALDI! -  AND having done a similar job with floor levelling myself over a part tiled/part concrete (but at the same level) make sure they put a good thick covering of the levelling compound down - if there are thin patches or it feathers away to an edge it often cracks or de-laminates.

It is a Bosch GWS 9-125S Professional angle grinder, probably not dissimilar from an ALDI offering.

Thanks for the extra advice.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2021, 08:19:30 pm »
Just invite this lass round for a few days…

https://youtu.be/-I_T3XvzPaM
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2021, 09:11:46 pm »

It is a Bosch GWS 9-125 Professional angle grinder, probably not dissimilar from an ALDI offering.

Thanks for the extra advice.

I stand corrected - the ALDI stuff is blue! - the BOSCH Pro tools (blue rather then the green regular stuff) are more than a cut above ALDI quality-wise!

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #13 on: 14 July, 2021, 10:35:35 pm »
Jaded and citoyen, you are both invited with your videos to come and dance to your heart's content in your carpet slippers and diamond-soled shoes. Let's see if you can show Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly a thing or two.

« Reply #14 on: 14 July, 2021, 10:55:40 pm »
Haven't you just ground the glaze back rather than scored them? I'd be cutting stripes into the tiles as that what scoring implies to me, I'd say you'd just removed glaze and high spots, though of course that might be OK.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 14 July, 2021, 11:03:58 pm »
You probably want to produce additional texture to aid bond between the new and old material. Extra texture gives a larger area to stick and also provides mechanical interlock. Making the surface smoother does the opposite.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2021, 12:19:52 am »
Jaded and citoyen, you are both invited with your videos to come and dance to your heart's content in your carpet slippers and diamond-soled shoes. Let's see if you can show Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly a thing or two.

;D
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #17 on: 15 July, 2021, 09:48:49 am »
Haven't you just ground the glaze back rather than scored them? I'd be cutting stripes into the tiles as that what scoring implies to me, I'd say you'd just removed glaze and high spots, though of course that might be OK.

Yep, that's whay I mentioned a cutting disc - I assumes a series of criss-cross slots being cut in each tile to provide a key. I wouldnt have botehred to take the glaze off myself.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #18 on: 15 July, 2021, 09:13:19 pm »
Have you tried spraying water on the floor (yes I know the dangers with electric power tools) in order to stop the dust rising?

« Reply #19 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:03:11 pm »
You can also use a plant mister afterwards to take the dust out of the air, I also have a big 24" fan that I sit on the doorstep extracting the dust from within.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: 16 July, 2021, 08:48:10 am »
Would it not have been easier to lift the tiles with SDS drill / tile chisel before levelling...?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #21 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:32:10 am »
You could have waited until he'd finished the job before suggesting that.

« Reply #22 on: 16 July, 2021, 04:33:49 pm »
Bit late to the party . But I use powder tile adhesive ( Dunlop flexy rapid set  ) as a self levelling compound . no need to score the tiles, its not 1984 .   Just clean the tiles , I find sugar soap is very good . Mix the adhesive with water in a bucket  using a paddle mixer in a drill , To the  specification on the bag and pour on . I use it on ceramics , marble , stone , slate , quarry tiles and porcelain. You can buy cheaper powder tile adhesive and prime the floor with SBR .  I buy the Dunlop  in at best trade price and for me its not worth messing about with any thing else . I use the adhesive for laying large format porcelain tiles on walls & floors so its well up to the job . Make sure the screed has completely dried before covering it .   
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul  three wheels Nurses !!!

road-runner

• Currently in Slovakia
« Reply #23 on: 16 July, 2021, 11:34:22 pm »
Would it not have been easier to lift the tiles with SDS drill / tile chisel before levelling...?

In theory, yes, but our builder-handyman said at the start that the tiles were so well laid that it would be easier to build on them than remove them. If you are interested, see reply #657 in the topic WFH rejig for more photos and work in this room.

And no, you're not late, Colin, and your suggestion is appreciated, just in case I need to DIY.

I asked the flooring company whether they could do the levelling layer as I have never done it before and feel I am overworking at the moment. I fancy offloading this job to someone competent - which would have been our builder chap except for his broken leg or foot that is keeping him out of action.

By the way, what is SBR?

robgul

« Reply #24 on: 17 July, 2021, 07:16:03 am »
No, you're not late, Colin, and your suggestion is appreciated, just in case I need to DIY.

I asked the flooring company whether they could do the levelling layer as I have never done it before and feel I am overworking at the moment. I fancy offloading this job to someone competent - which would have been our builder chap except for his broken leg or foot that is keeping him out of action.

By the way, what is SBR?

Styrene Butadiene Rubber   - like PVA but dries "solid" where PVA doesn't