Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 92491 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #725 on: 04 April, 2021, 12:52:43 pm »
www.snow-forecast.com have just warned me that my subscription is going to run out :-)

« Reply #726 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:33:57 am »
Is it too early? I probably ruined the season by buying a pass to one of the local mountains. The regular one (Cypress) was a total shit show last year, as people couldn't travel and stayed local. The other resorts put a limit/reservation system up, but Cypress went "Come on up, y'all". You had to buy your ticket in advance, but already at 8am there was a 3 hour line-up for parking.
So, I bought a pass to Mt Seymour which will continue running their reservation system on the weekends.
Better yet, my contract runs out end of November and I plan to take December and most of January off and abuse the hell out of my pass.

......which probably means we wont get any snow at all.

« Reply #727 on: 19 October, 2021, 06:45:03 am »
We had an en-famille moment last week when we realised that we were in severe danger of spending a second year at home for Christmas, as if the experience of last year wasn't enough to last. Cue much clicking, we are now on the cusp of either (a) a mega-apartment in Courchevel if some friends can get their shit together and say yes or (b) a first time in Saas Fee. Not _quite_ a first for me as I was there <mumble mumble> years ago, with an early trial version of the current Mrs Ham, who was a Swiss national, we had borrowed the picture postcard chalet of some of her friends, set alone a couple of hundred metres on the slopes (and yes, it did feature on a picture postcard of the resort, which card I still have in that "odd stuff" box). Unfortunately (?), because weather we probably spent more time on indoor sports, we had to dig ourselves out when the storm abated. This combined with generic annodominitus means I don't remember too much. Anyone been there lately?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #728 on: 21 October, 2021, 06:34:48 pm »
First dustings on Lochnagar.

Folklore has it that a good crop of Rowan Berries presages a hard winter, and we've had such a crop.
We shall see.

Sorry about the FB link, it's what Braemar MRT use.

https://www.facebook.com/braemarmrt/posts/4250320128350614

« Reply #729 on: 21 October, 2021, 06:58:35 pm »
Just booked our annual run to the hills. A return to Arabba for the first time in about 18 years. Really really looking forward to showing our friends round.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #730 on: 21 October, 2021, 09:56:46 pm »
Update.

we are now on the cusp of either (a) a mega-apartment in Courchevel if some friends can get their shit together and say yes or

Well, well. Every time I looked at the apartment I thought to myself, that's the expensive end of Courchevel, innit? and, even at the other end, £9k for the Christmas week for a 7 bed apartment is too little. And it was showing as 100% available. Fishy. And there were zero reviews about this chalet. Pescatorial again. I bunged in an enquiry to ask if it was still available, thinking maybe availability just hadn't been updated, back it came swiftly, my booking request had been accepted (oh, and could I please hand over the full rental amount now to secure the rental).

Time to delve.

The renter was declared as the owner of this business renting on behalf of owners, which added a little credibility. Until I discovered that none of the properties on the website had any reviews. Using reverse image search I found the REAL chalet renters. Chalet Gentiane, not Belvedere.

Have a guess how much the weekly rent for it is - and of course it is unavailable having been rented for the peak weeks - before you click. Go on, the rent on the scam site is £9,000.

(click to show/hide)

I found alternative sources for some other of the photos on the Bellgold  Holiday website and I reported the dirty scammer to the site I found it on, but it still seems up.

Bullet dodged.

Saas Fee, here we come, wheeeeeeee!

« Reply #731 on: 22 October, 2021, 10:52:59 am »
Even in a house of that size I cannot think of 14 people I would want to spend a whole week cooped up with!