Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865937 times)

fuzzy

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1625 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:37:48 am »

Cut in half and toasted. One half with butter, one half with Marmite :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:
that's classy :)

I don't know about classy but it is chuffing delicious :D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1626 on: 06 December, 2011, 12:09:42 pm »
where food is concerned delicious & classy = same thing IMO

fuzzy

« Reply #1627 on: 06 December, 2011, 12:22:31 pm »
I don't think I can subscribe to that ethos.

I offer this example to the panel-

A chip and leek butty.

Delicious- yes (in spades).

Classy?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1628 on: 06 December, 2011, 02:50:07 pm »
ther's nowt wrong wi' chips  ;)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1629 on: 06 December, 2011, 02:59:11 pm »
On the Ullapool sportive last year, Terry and I stopped in Lairg and bought a bag of chips for lunch, and sat on the wall eating them to looks of horror / amusement from the tightly-packed club pelotons sucking on gells as they zoomed past.

Dunno what you're laughing at, says Mr. T.
We set out at the same time, and we're here before you!

We never caught them back up, tho.

--
Ron

« Reply #1630 on: 06 December, 2011, 03:09:19 pm »
jockey wheels.

£10 for a pair. WTF are they so bloody expensive?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1631 on: 06 December, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »
I pack of those reflective spoke thingys from that gent Andrij :thumbsup:

;D

they've just arrived in the post 8)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1632 on: 07 December, 2011, 07:23:37 am »
jockey wheels.

£10 for a pair. WTF are they so bloody expensive?
My Trice Q has a rather unusual lower jockey wheel which costs an unfeasible £35. Fortunately ICE sent me a pair for a fiver that they had lying around.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

fuzzy

« Reply #1633 on: 07 December, 2011, 09:27:12 am »
2 packs of those reflective spoke thingys from that gent Andrij :thumbsup:

Arrived in the post yesterday and fitted last night :D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1634 on: 07 December, 2011, 01:38:45 pm »
A studded rear tyre for Regina, from the Schwalbe online shop.

I am now ready for the SNO.

Arrived yesterday.  Excellent service from Schwalbe's store people.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1635 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
trekking handlebars, to replace the ones damaged in a crash

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1636 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:08:36 pm »
I got some foam bar grips from Poundland.  They are not unlike "Grab On" foam and are in packs of 4 pieces.  I know a lot of people hate "Grab On" foam but I did used to have it on a bike and quite liked it

« Reply #1637 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:31:11 pm »
I had something similar on my bike back in the 80s, having first tried it because it was standard equipment on my brother's Raleigh Winner. It was pretty nice, but I remember it dissolving in the summer when I had sun block on my hands leaving a horrible black sticky mess. I did like it enough to replace it a couple of times when it got too disgusting, but eventually moved back to normal bar tape. I'd actually be tempted to try it again on a hack bike as it was very comfy without gloves.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1638 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:46:26 pm »
A 7cm stem, so a 50cm Ribble bike built three years ago can be handed down from the eldest son (now 16 and 6'2"!) to the middle one who is 14 and 5'2" and a much better fit!

« Reply #1639 on: 07 December, 2011, 08:51:46 pm »
A rack for my cross bike so I can ride it down to my sisters for Christmas.

« Reply #1640 on: 07 December, 2011, 10:04:17 pm »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1641 on: 08 December, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »
Bought on ebay for a tenner at the weekend, arrived today: a pair of Porelle Drys for Mrs B. Fit perfectly, which is good. Should give her warmer & drier toes while she dithers for a couple more years over buying or not buying overshoes or winter cycling shoes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1642 on: 08 December, 2011, 07:52:44 pm »
A carbon seatpost from Ebay.

Which when it arrived had 27.2 marked on it; which I rather suspiciously checked with vernier calipers. Spot on! :thumbsup:

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #1643 on: 10 December, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »
Idly looking through Ebay...like you do. A pair of leather straps for toeclips. Blue to match my blue bike. So I had to have them. A fiver! :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1644 on: 10 December, 2011, 11:22:54 pm »
Some reflective velcro straps to tame my trouser legs (how I ended up buying more cycling bits when I was supposed to be out looking for a new car I don't know ???)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1645 on: 11 December, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »
Time to 'fess up. I've just sent a Lot Of Munny to Oz, with Mrs eck's blessing  :-*,  in exchange for this.

I borrowed a set of Ay-Ups from David Martin of this parish a couple of years ago, and was mighty impressed with them. Others, including Mr Noodley, have kindly lent me other HBFO lights for suffering in the dark, but it was the cost,  design and runtime of the Ay-Ups that swung it for me. The only serious competitor was the Exposure Maxx. A clubmate lent me his for the Mersey Roads 24 this year, very nice but a good bit dearer than what I paid for the Ay-Ups, and not so good a run time.

Cue lots of people telling my why I should have bought something else...  :-X And, yes, I know about shipping costs and that I might get stung for duty.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1646 on: 12 December, 2011, 11:05:06 am »
I'm clomping around at work wearing a new pair of Diadora Artics and waving a new pair of SKS mudguards both of which arrived 10 mins ago  :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1647 on: 19 December, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »
Some comapct (read short reach) brake levers and crossstops for TLD's "new" road bike...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1648 on: 19 December, 2011, 02:00:45 pm »
A bracket for my new front light.  Not exciting?  Well it is!  My new front light's a Lezyne, which is very bright and the bike it's to attach to is my SWB 'bent, so it has to attach to the boom, right at the front, just behind the BB.  The boom's about 50mm in diameter.  So it's very fat and perpendicular to the handlebars.  Is there anything out there that'll fit?  No.  Anything that can be bodged together from two brackets?  No.

So lovely AW Cycles of Merton High Street say they can make one for me from raw ingredients.  Cool, eh?  I was worried going to pick it up because we didn't agree a price.  I shouldn't have been.  He did a beautiful job and charged me a tenner.  And gave me £3 off the mirror I bought in a fit of gratitude.  Man!

« Reply #1649 on: 19 December, 2011, 02:52:43 pm »
I've taken a bit of a risk and bought a Trigon carbon disc fork from Taiwan via Ebay.
It's intended for the light bike and the fork already on there will be cascaded onto the tourer.
I'm hoping that the light bike will look a little better and I'll gain a bit more toe room. The benefit for the tourer will be a much better ride and a lot less weight; the current fork is a Kona P2 which is made of Irn Bru girders.
The new fork is intended for MTBs so fingers crossed that it all works out.