Author Topic: Youngen's and Cycling.  (Read 2787 times)

ed_o_brain

Youngen's and Cycling.
« on: 22 February, 2009, 11:03:37 pm »
My boys are nearly 2 and nearly 4. They both have birthdays coming up and I'm looking at options to get them cycling.

At the moment, I use a trailer, but when the oldest one sits inside it, his head is not far off the top of it. I think his is old enough for a trailer bike, but I'm worried about how he would take to it.

He has an unusual gait and is not as fast on his feet as his peers, so I think a balance bike would really help with his sense of balance.

I bought the oldest (/eldest?) a Giant Tricycle but I don't honestly think his mum has ever taken him out on it.

I was thinking about buying them both balance training bikes. I've just measured a pair of jeans that the oldest has, and his in-seam is 13.5 inches. What does this tell me about the size of bike to get him?

I've a bike in the shed on 14 inch wheels. Is this likely to be to big for him, if I take the cranks and stabilizers off?

I need to look at option that mean I can keep cycling with them both as they grow up.

Maybe going forward a child seat on the bike and a trailer bike?

Thanks

Re: Youngen's and Cycling.
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2009, 02:04:37 pm »
Have a look at the sizing chart for Islabikes: http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdfs/sizes/Size_Chart08_web.pdf

Their Cnoc 14 bike (14" wheels) is for an inside leg of 38cm - 48cm. The measurement you give is about 35cm, but that's not including a bit extra for the foot, so the 14" bike may well fit your son. For scooting though you do need the seat to be a little lower than for pedalling.

My son had a 'Joey' wooden balance bike from Evans: Evans Cycles | Hudora Joey Runner Kids Bike | Online Bike Shop but has now graduated onto a proper bike with pedals (one of the Puky ones I was lucky enough to get from freecycle). I think I got the wooden bike for him on his 3rd birthday.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2009, 02:19:57 pm »
Thanks Tim.

I've been offered a 12 inch wheeled bike on freecycle. If the larger bike I already have is small enough for my oldest, than the new smaller bike will shortly be the right size for the youngest.

I'll have to find out about taking the ashtabula [sp?] cranks apart so both bikes can be used as hobby horses until the boys get there balance.

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2009, 08:57:14 pm »
When my first tow were that age it was the 4 year old on the back of a tandem with kiddiecranks and the 2 year old in a burley trailer.
I would always avoid childseats.

When the next two came along it became even more interesting  ;D

ed_o_brain

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:33:04 pm »
When my first tow were that age it was the 4 year old on the back of a tandem with kiddiecranks and the 2 year old in a burley trailer.
I would always avoid childseats.

When the next two came along it became even more interesting  ;D

any clues on how you managed?

I guess I will need to look at some kiddie cranks...

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2009, 10:00:42 pm »
The whole caboodle was constantly changing and from child No1 onwards, but to give an idea when No.4 came along it was:

Wife - Tandem (Claud Butler)
6week old daughter in Burley Trailer
8 year old daughter on rear of tandem
Me - Tandem Trike (Bob Jackson)
2 year old son in kiddie seat*
6 year old daughter on kiddiecranks

We toured much of the UK and Europe, including some pretty mountainous areas, with this set up - always cycle camping. At one point both tandems had kiddiecranks.

They were wonderful days  ;D

* I would not use a child seat on anything other than a trike due to the CoG issues when wheeling the machine.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »
Thanks!

Quite a few ideas there. Sounds like good fun. Will defo look at the idea of kiddie cranks. That means youngest can still go in the trailer and Maffie can, for now, ride solo.

Biggest concern is Manchester traffic. Ho hum.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2009, 11:20:17 pm »
I need some help with this.

I want us to stay a car-free family. (I've usually got a hire car when my boys stay with me, but I would at least like to try and pretend the hire car isn't parked outside for some of the time when they are here).

My oldest son, just four, has been formally diagnosed as ASD (autistic spectrum disorder). I'm no fan of labels and I don't think he is 'classically autistic'. I think it's going to be some time before he can ride a bike - wheeling him along on the tri-cycle he gets lost in the scenary and forgets to steer! On his two wheeler, he is happy to be pushed along but propelling himself is some way off. He is too tall to sit comfortably in the cycle trailer with his younger brother. Not to mention using the cycle trailer, it's impossible to communicate with him. I'm reliant on being able to see him for that and I can't observe traffic and road conditions.

He loves the cycle trailer. We used it the first day the boys stayed with us this easter, and he remembered from Christmas to go and get the bike lights to slot onto the back of it. When we went out the following day, on foot, straight after putting his shoes on he picked up the bike lights again! I had to explain we weren't going on the bike.

So... I'm still thinking Bakfiets but the budget doesn't really extend that far.. I'll happily take other suggestions. It would also be good to be able to transport an adult who is unable to cycle.

When my divorce is through and the matrimonial home is sold, I may well buy a brand new Bakfiets but in the mean time I need a solution costing hundreds of pounds instead of thousands.

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2009, 08:27:26 am »
We have just one kid at the mo', but planning another, and we've tried a few things

Croozer 737 trailer - hard to fault the trailer. I guess the floor could do with more waterproofing, but that's about it. Oh, and storage is a pain compare to the Chariot. Other than that, brilliant. Downside was that my son got bored with nobody to speak to, and the risk of stones flicking up meant keeping the net down, so he got really hot when it was sunny. Also, mrs mekon never got over the fear someone would run into the back of him.

WeeRide kangaroo Seat. Easy to fit, and good for child interaction.  I never got over the fear that I was using him as an airbag, and he grew out of the seat really quickly. Also, when he messed around, the high CoG played havoc with the steering, meaning close passes from cars were terrifying.

Bakfietsen. Has two, a bakfiets.nl and a defietsfabriek 995 - sold the 995 this weekend. Been brilliant. Within the limits of it's dutch bike geometry, neither have put a foot wrong, If you live in a congested town, I'd suggest a car is a poor alternative to a bakfiets. I am off out with my boy this morning, chucking him and his likeabike in the front and heading off to the park. It usually ends like this...

I've test ridden a Winther kangaroo and a gazelle cabby too. Kangaroo wasn't for me - I found the rear wheel steering effect unpleasant. The cabby was great for the money, If they'd kept it under a grand so C2W peeps could get it for £600, it'd have amazing. Sadly, it's up to £1300 now. Still worth a look.