Author Topic: Trek Domane  (Read 46052 times)

Re: Trek Domane
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2017, 08:24:55 pm »
I tend to agree that big tyres and mid to deep section rims are a poor match in cross winds. 28mm (31 actual) Schwalbe Ones on 31mm deep Kinlin 31T is hard work when it gets too windy, but 25s are pretty well fine. The difference far exceeds what you might expect.

« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2017, 07:55:39 am »
@DrMekon I think for you at your weight(a little less than me)the SLR will be the better option you get shallower rims , the carbon bars and the Frame will weighs a little less or buy the Frameset and build it how you like which is what I would do .
With regard to the wheels , only the latest Enve's have been designed to run with 25/28mm tyres all the rest were designed to run mainly 23mm or 25 mm , zipp  303 which are wider than there 404 or 202 for that matter , were designed for 23mm , I can get away with 28 conti on my 303s unless it's very windy in which case I swop out the front for something shallower , the 303 are wider than the Vison wheels on my SL6.

« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2017, 10:36:48 am »
The latest Enves are on my wish list for sure - but I would need a promotion to justify them to myself!

« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2017, 05:03:45 pm »
I see that Trek have just launched a "Dege" version of the Domane in both disc and rim braked versions.
They're saying that the "Dege" has a longer, lower position.
It certainly looks that way since the head-tube is very short and the top-tube is almost horizontal. I haven't found any geometry info yet.
I think it uses a "higher grade" carbon composite than the "endurance" geometry versions.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/degenkolb/

Perhaps the lower position would suit you Dr M although I suspect it costs "F*ck me how much"* ?

* Maybe you'd need two promotions to justify it and the wheels  ;D.

« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2017, 08:25:21 am »
Well first impressions are good!   Did a 50km shakedown ride yesterday , it feels really stiff when first riding off, but it really does soak up the road surface, not to soft Ti levels but still really nice! The new shape Ultegra hydraulic levers are long  but I like the shape,  the change feels clunkier than usual , though that may improve as I tweaked the gears a bit after the ride.  The brakes are superb. really superb.  Gearing seems good, I'm not a big fan of compacts , but this semeed ok as I was pretty much in big ring all the time, and  although I've not really hit any proper hills yet, but it does suggest that the lowest gears will be low enough !  Wheels are quite bling  but roll well and seem fast, I broke a couple of Strava PRs on roads I ride fairly regularly.  I havent really needed to change much, move seat height a bit, put the bars properly level  ::-)  tweak the gear change , do a full PDI  ;D
Am really pleased with it, really looking forward to lots more miles on it and thats how it should be.

« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2018, 09:38:58 pm »
What size mudguards, and on what size tyres, have you lot jammed into the clearance of the olde Domane?

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2018, 08:57:02 am »
28 mm Raceblades on 25 mm tyres (2015 Domane 4.5, dunno if that's olde or not.)

---o0o---

My rear wheel has done >13k km now. The telltales are still clear - full of crud but distinct.  I'm wondering (a) how much longer it'll last and (b) how much they cost. Front wheel is still fine on 8,300, since it shares the work with a Spa dyno wheel
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2018, 02:56:10 pm »
I have a set of these sitting waiting to be fitted to mine

https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrager-ncs-road-mudguard-set-700c-x-18-35c-EV138150

these were what were reccomended by Trek for a 2017 Domane SL6 disc  which has 32mm tyres.   I'm hoping to get round to fitting them over this weekend so may be able to update on fit then

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2018, 03:12:26 pm »
I really would like a Domane but I keep getting drawn to the SLR 9 Disc which is Dura Ace Di2.

I have all the promotions required but something about spending that much on a bike bothers me.

It's a shame Ultegra Di2 isn't available as an off the peg build, since that would be a lot more sane, and potentially gives a lower granny gear.

« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2018, 03:22:54 pm »
I really would like a Domane but I keep getting drawn to the SLR 9 Disc which is Dura Ace Di2.

I have all the promotions required but something about spending that much on a bike bothers me.

It's a shame Ultegra Di2 isn't available as an off the peg build, since that would be a lot more sane, and potentially gives a lower granny gear.

You can swap it for my 2013 one which has got ultegra di2 if you like  :P
This is destiny, it's fate, it's the matrix working in my favour.

« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2018, 09:25:22 pm »

I just put together an SLR frameset with eTap for far less than the off-the-shelf price (sure, not all he components are the same standard, but good enough for me), and have 11-36 at the back.  It must be cheaper to do the same with Ultegra Di2.

« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2018, 09:35:44 pm »
You may still be able to pick up a new 2017  domane slr7 £4600  BUT discounted now and spend the rest on some lighter hoops

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2018, 12:08:42 am »

I just put together an SLR frameset with eTap for far less than the off-the-shelf price (sure, not all he components are the same standard, but good enough for me), and have 11-36 at the back.  It must be cheaper to do the same with Ultegra Di2.

I did wonder if that might be the case. Ta.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2018, 11:41:57 am »
The owner of my LBS (Abbots Ann Cycles) can pretty much have any bike he chooses (He has a personal collection of Colnagos, new and vintage).

He chooses to ride an SLR 6 disc (I think it's the 6) through the winter.

I have an Domane SL 5 Disc (I upgraded from a Domane 4.3) which came with Vision Metron wheels as standard, they are very nice.  I just think they are superb bikes that, in the disc version, make a practical all-year bike.

If I had the cash to get a higher spec model then I probably would but the SL 5 Disc with those wheels was a bargain at £2600 (2016 model clearance)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2018, 08:15:06 am »
Just a note for people with the vision wheels
Keep a close eye on the rear freehub because they are giving problems mine just failed at 3000 miles ish shop said they had changed 7 or  8 , trek had no stock the uk importer windwave neither ,my shop were very helpful and found me one off a damaged wheel that was as new.
It’s not rebuildable , it’s like a low end Shimano unit but only has one bearing in the freehub and one on the none drive side/disc side so just wears the freehub quickly due to the lack of support on the drive side.
Easy to check , you can feel up and down play in the cassette and you will see the cassette going up and down if you put it on the bike stand and spin the pedals and then watch it freewheeling.
Don’t buy one off the internet even though they say they are for treks as they look the same but the thread on the back is a smaller size.
I’m going to build mine up onto a better quality hub to solve the issues from happening again.

« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2018, 09:29:34 am »
I answered my own previous question. I have 45mm SKS longboards atop the stock 32mm tyres. All fits really nicely. The tyres (Bontrager R1) are junk though, they go as hard as blocks of wood when its cold and offer no purchase on a wet surface.

It's a 2018 SL5 Disc, I've put 150 miles on it over the weekend and I'm thoroughly convinced that this is the finest bicycle ever produced. I'm in love.

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2018, 08:06:18 am »

And here she is, for your delectation.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2018, 09:23:40 am »
Congrats!  I've loved mine ever since I put my own saddle on it.  My old Ti Warhorse feels like a carthorse in comparison.

Can you get a 1-litre bottle in & out of that rear cage?  I put side-opening cages on my Domane, but a 1-litre bottle tips over sideways and knocks my leg.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2018, 11:36:11 am »
Very nice 👍

« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2018, 02:57:53 pm »
Would an SL7 (rim brake) for £2300 be a bit of a bargain?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2018, 08:20:47 pm »
Would an SL7 (rim brake) for £2300 be a bit of a bargain?

Watch out for mudguard clearances on the rim-brake versions (if that is a consideration).  The disc versions have much greater clearances under the fork bridges.

Otherwise it's £2K off RRP.

« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2018, 08:40:34 am »
I would get a rim braked version if I was buying again(I have the sl6 disc)the sl7 has direct mount brakes so will fit 25mm tyres and guards no problem it may take 28s they say it will.
The price is very good .

« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2018, 12:59:24 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2018, 01:42:50 pm »
I would get a rim braked version if I was buying again(I have the sl6 disc)the sl7 has direct mount brakes so will fit 25mm tyres and guards no problem it may take 28s they say it will.
The price is very good .

You don't like the full hydraulic brakes?  I love the ones on my SL5, they're a revelation after my mechanical BB7s, plus it takes 30mm tyres no problem with mudguards.

The biggest factor though is that the Vision wheels it came with are about £1500 RRP (over 50% of the price of the package) and disc brakes mean I can keep them long time as they are amazing.
I'm bored with Winter riding/braking grinding away my wheel rims.

I admit that discs make for an uglier build than rim brakes but the positives outweigh the negatives for me (2-finger rear wheel braking, in the wet, down steep hills without creating black alloy paste).

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2018, 02:57:31 pm »
I'm with Lee on this one.