Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 405944 times)

Afasoas

Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #550 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:36:53 am »
It seems each newer version of Android gets less and less usable. Eg, no mass storage, cannot export contacts to SD card.

Mass storage, as in can't use it as a mass storage device? that has been gone a long time.

Why would you want to export contacts to an SD card? by backing them up to Google's servers they are always there, makes transferring to a new phone much less painful.

This might help, if the contacts are synced to the cloud:

http://support.fullcontact.com/knowledgebase/articles/155374-how-can-i-export-my-google-contacts-prior-to-using

Yes that's fine if you are still happy sharing your life with Google.

Afasoas

« Reply #551 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:45:31 am »
Shrewsoft grumble NetworkManager grumble Strongswan grumble.

I can has IKE/IPSEC if I don't mind Shrewsoft bu$$ering up my network configuration.
I could has IKE/IPSEC without Shrewsoft if only I could figure out how to configure the Strongswan NetworkManager plugin.
I can has OpenVPN using NetworkManager but it completely fails to update name server and domain details in resolv.conf

I figure I'll have to hack my own solution together then.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #552 on: 10 March, 2015, 10:34:05 am »
It seems each newer version of Android gets less and less usable. Eg, no mass storage, cannot export contacts to SD card.

Mass storage, as in can't use it as a mass storage device? that has been gone a long time.

Why would you want to export contacts to an SD card? by backing them up to Google's servers they are always there, makes transferring to a new phone much less painful.

This might help, if the contacts are synced to the cloud:

http://support.fullcontact.com/knowledgebase/articles/155374-how-can-i-export-my-google-contacts-prior-to-using

Yes that's fine if you are still happy sharing your life with Google.

TBH, if you are not, don't bother buying an Android phone. Replace Google with Apple and don't bother buying a iPhone, rplace it with Microsoft and don't bother buying a Windows phone.

In short, if you actually want to use a smart phone as a smart phone, you have to compromise.  If you don't, then be my guest and buy a dumb phone.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #553 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:56:23 am »
All of the Android versions I have used do have some way of importing/exporting contacts to a VCF or CSV file. Though the option is quite well hidden on some of them.
Then its easy enough to copy this file from the one phone to the other. You don't need to sync everything with Google.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #554 on: 10 March, 2015, 05:13:00 pm »
What channel is your wifi on? I've got an aspire and found that sometimes the wireless would work and other times it wouldn't, it turned out that the aspire won't see all the channels (it was the very high numbered ones, might have been 14)

Have tried that, it was on 6 as that was the quietest channel.  Think it is something else, such as a setting in the bios power setting, as restting the adaptor doesn't seem to bring the car back to life.

An update - Still not working.  The wireless card works on Linux mint, So it is somethingelse in windoze.  The driver from the atheros website is v10 over v9 that is on the acer website.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #555 on: 10 March, 2015, 07:56:44 pm »
VB.Net  chiz, chiz, _chiz_!

When stringA.GetType() reports "String" and stringB.GetType() reports "String" and both appear to contain the string "Fred" (or "Jim" or "Sheila" according to taste and inclination) how in the name of Hopper can ...

if stringA.Equals(stringB, CultureInvariantIgnoreCase)

evaluate false!?

Because  ... and you'll love this ...

Dim stringA = Ctype(aStringBoxedInAnObject, String)
Dim stringB As String = SomeFunction()

So stringA isn't _really_ a string at all whatever ::GetType() might say.. cos...

if stringA.ToString().Equals(stringB, CultureInvariantIgnoreCase) 

evaluates true.

Leaving aside the fact that I don't much like working in VB and that  I _really_ wish that M$ had killed it off when .Net was introduced what provokes my ire about this is the  _hateful_ legacy code (dating back to when VB.Net was just VB) incorporated in the projects that has to have compile time checks "relaxed" thereby squelching all manner of really _useful_ warnings and errors that would catch stuff that otherwise isn't picked up until runtime.

Oh and while I'm here.  Colleagues.  It is C21.  REDIM in _new_ code!?  For pity's sake use a generic List<> or any other of the dozen collection types that are available in the Framework and have been since .Net was in Beta 15 odd years ago!   Sheesh!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #556 on: 10 March, 2015, 08:09:25 pm »
Ah. Equal things being un-equal.

We do a lot of floating-point math.
*never* attempt to use 'equal' with floating-point numbers.
It will *almost never* evaluate to true, even when it seems like it should.

There will always be a single-bit difference down in the LSB or somesuch.

I've seen someone try to use a floating point value as a loop index.
( A depth value, where the depth increments were 0.25 feet. )

It ended in tears.

simonp

« Reply #557 on: 10 March, 2015, 11:50:48 pm »
Garmin MapUpdate. What a load of shite.

It’s taken me about an hour just to get a firmware update onto the device (failed using Windows using various methods - the MapInstall app just hung after downloading the update). WebUpdater complained the update was corrupted. Switched to Mac. Same message. All sorts of googling suggested I needed to reformat the device. Eventually I tried connecting it in USB mass storage mode and hey presto, the update was installed fine.

Why so painful, Garmin?

Afasoas

« Reply #558 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:37:16 am »
TBH, if you are not, don't bother buying an Android phone. Replace Google with Apple and don't bother buying a iPhone, rplace it with Microsoft and don't bother buying a Windows phone.

In short, if you actually want to use a smart phone as a smart phone, you have to compromise.  If you don't, then be my guest and buy a dumb phone.

It is possible to use an Android phone without Google's services. Cyanogenmod FTW.

tiermat

« Reply #559 on: 11 March, 2015, 08:42:24 am »

It is possible to use an Android phone without Google's services. Cyanogenmod FTW.

WRONG!

Cyanogenmod still, quite heavily, uses Google Apps.  Without them you loses a LOT of functionality, such as the Google Play, Maps and Gmail.  It is possible to use an Android phone without using Google services, but why anyone would want to is beyond me, it's like buying an Aston Martin and fitting crossply tyres.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #560 on: 11 March, 2015, 09:52:48 am »
Windows. It's 2015 and I still have to get out of a crash by holding down the power button and doing a hard restart. Seriously? Crashy pile of shit.

« Reply #561 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:00:46 am »

It ended in tears.
I had a colleague who tried to use an FP variable for a time. So a quarter past nine was stored as 9.15. That did not end well either
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Afasoas

« Reply #562 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:35:31 am »
Shrewsoft grumble NetworkManager grumble Strongswan grumble.

I can has IKE/IPSEC if I don't mind Shrewsoft bu$$ering up my network configuration.
I could has IKE/IPSEC without Shrewsoft if only I could figure out how to configure the Strongswan NetworkManager plugin.
I can has OpenVPN using NetworkManager but it completely fails to update name server and domain details in resolv.conf

I figure I'll have to hack my own solution together then.

Actually, surprisingly, OpenVPN + Network Manager does now work. I can resolve hosts on the local network and the VPN connected network. Hoorah!

Afasoas

« Reply #563 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:45:44 am »

WRONG!

Cyanogenmod still, quite heavily, uses Google Apps.  Without them you loses a LOT of functionality, such as the Google Play, Maps and Gmail.  It is possible to use an Android phone without using Google services, but why anyone would want to is beyond me, it's like buying an Aston Martin and fitting crossply tyres.

Cyanogenmod doesn't include those Google apps in the ROM. You have to flash them onto the device afterwards. The missing functionality can be replaced with some quite good alternatives, which I'm not advocating anyone do unless already having a pre-disposition to these things.

As to why anyone would want to, I think that's a topic for POBI. Personally, I'm making a big step away from using Google's products and services. Again I'm not advocating that everyone else should.

I'm really not sure why you're responding so vehemently about my original remark, the inference being that there are alternatives if people wish to consider them and take the time to implement them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #564 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:53:09 am »

I once read of an impoverished enthusiast who used to run his DB6 on the cross-plies intended for a Commer PB van...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

« Reply #565 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:56:06 am »
Google Apps are not the be all and end of the connection between Android and Google (as far as services go), is my point.

Cyanogenmod et al still require a certain amount of interaction with Google, whether you like it or not.  Replacing Google Apps with a third party's still makes you reliant on that third party's services.

Cyanogenmod is not a panacea, which is how your reply to my post read, to me anyway.

My point still stands, if you don't want to be reliant on a third party's web services, DON'T BUY A SMART PHONE. Clear enough?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #566 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:10:34 pm »
No, I'm going to disagree with that.  A google-free Android is still a very useful device (compared to a notional Nokia 6310i dumbphone benchmark).  Using open-source apps you can do email, browse the web, play media files, navigate with Openstreetmap and countless other genuinely useful things without having to rely on a third-party service[1].  It's the closest thing you're going to get to an open smartphone.

Sure, there's functionality that you won't have (google calendars, for example), and there's obviously an amount of hoop-jumping required to actually install apps without access to the Play store, but we're talking about people who've rooted and re-flashed their phone already.

[1] Well, maybe not email.  But you could host it yourself, or pay an ISP to host it for you, or use an account provided by an employer, rather than sell your soul to a marketing company for it.

Afasoas

« Reply #567 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »
Google Apps are not the be all and end of the connection between Android and Google (as far as services go), is my point.

Cyanogenmod et al still require a certain amount of interaction with Google, whether you like it or not.  Replacing Google Apps with a third party's still makes you reliant on that third party's services.

Cyanogenmod is not a panacea, which is how your reply to my post read, to me anyway.

My point still stands, if you don't want to be reliant on a third party's web services, DON'T BUY A SMART PHONE. Clear enough?

I'm sorry your point is simply not valid. It is possible to use a smart phone without sharing your personal data with third parties. Android is architected to sandbox applications so data is not shared unless given express permission by the end user. Applications can use the Android Data Backup Service to backup and synchronise data across devices, but the app has to be configured to do so. In most apps, that is not explicit so some care is needed.

Although Android is developed by Google, it is released as open source so it's possible to review the code and ascertain exactly what interaction Android has with Google servers. There are a few versions of Android which have been re-written for highly secure scenarios where data cannot be transmitted to third parties.

I'm happy to concede that using a smart phone without sharing personal data is not a walk in the park and thus not an option for most end users, however there is still a choice between using a smart phone without reliance on third party services and using a dumb phone.

When I next re-flash my phone I will be using an Android ROM without additional Google services/applications. With a careful choice of applications that means I'm in control of where my data is stored and how it is shared.

Sorry for cross-posting with Kim

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #568 on: 11 March, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
Microsith!  I have installed that updated printer driver three times now.  Successfully, according to Windoze Updates.  And I even restarted the Babbage-Engine.  So I shouldn't need to install it again, should I?

Now fuck off.

« Reply #569 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:33:43 pm »

It ended in tears.
I had a colleague who tried to use an FP variable for a time. So a quarter past nine was stored as 9.15. That did not end well either

;D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #570 on: 11 March, 2015, 07:37:37 pm »
Ah. Equal things being un-equal.

We do a lot of floating-point math.
*never* attempt to use 'equal' with floating-point numbers.
It will *almost never* evaluate to true, even when it seems like it should.

There will always be a single-bit difference down in the LSB or somesuch.

It ended in tears.

Using a Pentium, eh :demon:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #571 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:37:13 pm »
BBC have borked iPlayer so that Squeezebox disnae play 6Music  :demon: Jist gonnae no  :hand:

Yay, it's back  :thumbsup:

Not working again  :demon:

And it's 'NOT AVAILABLE' on the XBOX  :demon: :demon:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #572 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:39:42 pm »
And it's 'NOT AVAILABLE' on the XBOX  :demon: :demon:

You have an XBOX?  ??? ???

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #573 on: 11 March, 2015, 10:59:25 pm »
Err... apparently  :-[

« Reply #574 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:47:51 am »
Presumably you have it to run ParanoidXbox linux on.  8)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.