Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 859277 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5275 on: 09 June, 2021, 02:14:35 pm »
That "Chickens in tutu's are a thing".  Courtesy of a colleague, of course.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5276 on: 09 June, 2021, 02:28:38 pm »
Epsom had similar. I believe that one in ten of the population was officially insane. Those institutions too are now all long gone.

Given how many hospitals there were on the Horton Estate on the north-west of Epsom, that wouldn't surprise me.  ;D

ISTR most of the east side of Horton Lane had already been redeveloped by the time I'd moved away 20 years ago.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5277 on: 09 June, 2021, 02:56:41 pm »
Were you living in Epsom when the "Uh Uh !!" newspaper seller stood at the Spread Eagle crossroads ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5278 on: 09 June, 2021, 03:22:18 pm »
Were you living in Epsom when the "Uh Uh !!" newspaper seller stood at the Spread Eagle crossroads ?

Can't say I remember that guy - strictly speaking, while my postal address had Epsom in it, I was up by the race course and usually only came into town on a Saturday...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5279 on: 13 June, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »
  • Drilling holes into brick is a lot easier if your 8mm masonry bit is not as blunt as your criticism of Julia Tory-Sewer, and
  • There are nowadays two sorts of drill bit, and those with the oversize shaft will not fit your elderly Bosch

(Stomps off to Screwfix* in a huff)

* where I should have stomped yesterday, had I been clearer of thought :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5280 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:03:59 pm »
50ml of PVA glue, 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of contact lens cleaning solution (as long as it contains borax), with a drop of food colouring, makes slime.

It has kept my 4 year old amused all afternoon

« Reply #5281 on: 16 June, 2021, 07:48:31 pm »
50ml of PVA glue, 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, and 1/2 teaspoon of contact lens cleaning solution (as long as it contains borax), with a drop of food colouring, makes slime.

It has kept my 4 year old amused all afternoon
brilliant.  I might borrow that for the granddaughters coming on Saturday morning

« Reply #5282 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:00:46 pm »
I have learned the word cragfest. When climbing, if you get stuck and can't go up or down. Ooops.

« Reply #5283 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:11:03 pm »
I think you might mean cragfast. Cragfest sounds altogether more enjoyable.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5284 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:14:52 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #5285 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:26:09 pm »
Cragfest
Pretty, but perhaps not as enjoyable as I (and I suspect jsabine) were thinking of for CragFest
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #5286 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:30:54 pm »
Cragfest

They're quite lovely - and I'm pleased that you avoided the temptations of CamelCase.

We resisted, so why couldn't cygnet?

cygnet

« Reply #5287 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:36:57 pm »
I was imagineering a festival with amplified music, some rock climbing maybe, with tents beneath, and possibly above, crags. Take your pick (ho ho) as to possible locations.

« Reply #5288 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:40:48 pm »
Oh, so was I, as well as thinking it was probably a better manner for the Mountain Film Festival

cygnet

« Reply #5289 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:50:50 pm »
Tonight I have learned that there are 2 Mountain Film Festivals appearing at the top of a Google search 😁
One is the Banff MFF and the other is a more global one.

Maybe check whether safesearch is on before you Google MFF in front of an audience though.

« Reply #5290 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:51:56 pm »
I was actually thinking of the Keswick one

It does appear that that's a Mountain Festival that happens to have films

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5291 on: 18 June, 2021, 10:52:39 pm »
Cragfest

They're quite lovely - and I'm pleased that you avoided the temptations of CamelCase.

We resisted, so why couldn't cygnet?
Probably because there's been recent discussion of shipping containers, I'm now seeing a crate full of dromedaries.

« Reply #5292 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:12:45 am »
That "junior drag racing" for children as young as 5 is a thing in this country. Apparently they run 1/8 mile races instead of 1/4 mile, in cars that top out at around 30mph. I was talking to the lady who cuts my hair about her plans for her Dodge Durango (which involve a  supercharger and some track time) when she mentioned that her daughter (age 8 ) was starting to show an interest in a children's racing program.

« Reply #5293 on: 19 June, 2021, 10:47:00 am »
Tonight I have learned that there are 2 Mountain Film Festivals appearing at the top of a Google search
One is the Banff MFF and the other is a more global one.

Maybe check whether safesearch is on before you Google MFF in front of an audience though.
I’m pretty sure the Banff one goes on tour (or used to). I’ve been to it in Brighton. :)

crag_fest* reminds me of a scooby doo film - the legend of the vampire, set at a rock festival with a mountain backdrop.

* Sorry, the camel case comments made it hard to resist some snake case :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5294 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:11:35 pm »
That makes "snake case" a thing I have learned today.  :)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5295 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:39:33 pm »
I have learned the word cragfest. When climbing, if you  stuck and can't go up or down. Ooops.

There's a word in this part of the country for a cycling equivalent - storm-stayed.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5296 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:43:31 pm »
I have learned the word cragfest. When climbing, if you get stuck and can't go up or down. Ooops.

See also: Gargoyled

« Reply #5297 on: 19 June, 2021, 08:46:43 pm »
Yes, sorry, I did mean cragfast. I said it was a new word. I'm still learning it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #5298 on: 29 June, 2021, 09:24:05 am »
There have been six series of Love Island, which is some sort of reality TV fest available for your education and entertainment on that there anabaric distascope.

Apparently the seventh series will have 3,700 episodes. It’s been difficult for me not to become aware of it this year because my guilty pleasure is looking at the front pages of most of the news papers occasionally and the tabloids in particular seem to have had a picture of one of the ‘contestants’ pretty much constantly over the last week or two. I first became aware of it when a friend’s daughter turned down an offer to be a contestant either last year or the year before, but I don’t believe I’ve ever actually seen it, and I certainly couldn’t tell you how the participants compete with each other.

Given the article I’ve just read on the Graun website, I’m not quite sure how it’s being allowed to be broadcast. It sounds abhorrent. I don’t believe I’ll be making an effort to find out which channel it is on.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #5299 on: 29 June, 2021, 10:26:41 am »
Prurient bollocks at its worst. I loathe 'reality' TV. A bunch of talentless (mostly) exhibitionists (the very worst sort). This is part of the reason I gave up on TV some years ago.
Rust never sleeps