Author Topic: County Cricket 2023  (Read 17316 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: County Cricket 2023
« Reply #100 on: 14 June, 2023, 02:01:25 pm »
Can only hope that when Foakes and Sibley get to their respective hundreds they both suffer a rush of blood to the head and there's a sudden collapse.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #101 on: 14 June, 2023, 02:23:17 pm »
A special mention for Joe Clarke of Notts. He came in when the score was 61-2 and he's still there, on 173. I hope he gets his double century. Notts are 6 wickets down now and still trail, so I think them saving this match is a pretty forlorn hope.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #102 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:07:55 pm »
I think I heard the commentator saying SIbley's century is the slowest ever first-class hundred in England.

I was only half listening so I may have been mistaken. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #103 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:13:21 pm »
I do have an Ask Steven question for Cricinfo.  Has anyone who has scored a hundred scored a lower proportion of the team's runs whilst they were at the crease.

It seems that Kent are fated to be on the receiving end of Surrey records - Surrey scored 9-671 (the highest first class innings without a century) this year.

Come to think of it, there can't be many 4th innings with 3 centuries  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #104 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:22:05 pm »
To be fair to Sibley, he's the main reason Kent are going to lose this match.  A tremendous performance.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's batted for longer than he did in the whole of last season!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #105 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:24:12 pm »
I have a recollection of a very slow century in a test match by Keith Fletcher. A google found it - 458 minutes. It was at the Oval in 1974. That, apparently was the "slowest century on English soil" although the article I found it in doesn't make it clear whether it was the slowest test, or the slowest first class, century. I haven't explored further to find how many balls he faced.

https://www.sportzcraazy.com/7-slowest-centuries-in-test-history-by-minutes-played/

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #106 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:27:44 pm »
Kent trying some funky field placings - all fielders on the leg side. But the bowler bowled outside off stump, and Sibley hit the ball through the vacant off-side. The live stream is a static camera (or rather one at each end) , so all I saw was Sibley helping himself, and the wicketkeeper Cox setting off to fetch the ball. Fortunately for both Cox and the batters the ball reached the boundary. Otherwise they might have run about 7, but after 8+ hours batting SIbley was probably content with 4.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #107 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:29:09 pm »
Joe Clarke has his double century and Warks must bat again! Excellent effort.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #108 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:30:03 pm »
And Foakes is out! Come on Kent - skittle the rest!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #109 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:36:30 pm »
Joe Clarke has his double century and Warks must bat again! Excellent effort.

Clarke has had a striking rate of 64 per 100 balls throughout his innings. Very impressive.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #110 on: 14 June, 2023, 03:55:19 pm »
Tea. Surrey need 49 and have 6 wickets left. It would be great fun if they lose now, but unlikely.

Notts lead by 20 and still have 4 wickets left. They now have a fighting chance of getting a draw that (I think) they richly deserve.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #111 on: 14 June, 2023, 04:15:06 pm »
Surrey lose another wicket. 40 needed, 5 wickets left...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #112 on: 14 June, 2023, 04:45:18 pm »
Kent's season going from bad to worse.  But great achievement by Surrey

« Reply #113 on: 14 June, 2023, 07:34:14 pm »
Whatever and however misguided one's allegiances may be, what a fantastic few days of cricket.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #114 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:31:12 pm »
Indeed! I think the individual performance of the week must be Joe Clarke's 229 n.o. to defy Warks. Best team effort - definitely Surrey. But 4 cracking first division games.

« Reply #115 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:46:49 pm »
Certainly.  My team (ancestral) is Durham, currently top in the 2nd division.  They scored 630 in their only innings in a game in which 1500 runs were scored over the four days.  And Glamorgan made a terrific fight of it and had a good lead when the game ended in a draw.  Have to say that results from both divisions worryingly suggest that all Englishmen who can bowl are already in the Test squad, which is a concern in view of age and liability to injury.  Some rain is promised for next week but we may already be 1 down by then.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #116 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:48:48 pm »
I wondered if that Durham pitch ought to be reported because it gave too much help to batsmen... ;)

« Reply #117 on: 14 June, 2023, 09:02:55 pm »
I suppose it might come down to how competent the bowlers actually are!  The three chief Durham quicks are on England duty, though I think only Stokes will actually play.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #118 on: 18 June, 2023, 05:23:38 pm »
I've not really followed this "Vitality Blast" bollocks, but a chance glance showed that Essex scored a quite ludicrous 237-6 of 20 overs. Middlesex are 116-2 off 12.3 overs, rain stopped play. Presumably they use Duckworth-Lewis in the event of the match being unfinished. I think the rain is set in for the day.

« Reply #119 on: 18 June, 2023, 05:50:02 pm »
It is tanking down here in Manchesterford where Lancashire are playing Durham.  If Duckworth ludicrous gives it to Durham (which is unlikely) it will serve Lancashire right for Nominative Determinism in calling themselves Lancashire Lightning!  Talk about tempt fate, in of all places Manchester!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #120 on: 18 June, 2023, 06:45:13 pm »
It seems that Lancs and Essex have both won by the DLS* method. I thought that was a type of contraception until I discovered...

Duckworth-Lewis-Stern. Lewis I assume to be A. L. Lewis, the Welsh captain of England. I don't know who the other two are, although I have heard of Duckworth in this context. No idea what the Stern bit is.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #121 on: 18 June, 2023, 08:46:47 pm »
The Tony Lewis who co-inverted the DL(S) method was a not-cricketing Tony Lewis, and Duckworth is Frank of that ilk, not Keith.  Johnny-come-lately Professor Steven Stern took over after Duckworth and Lewis retired.  They’re all statisticians, apart from Lewis because he's dead.

It should not be confused with the Scaryduckworth-Lewis Method, which is NSFW.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #122 on: 19 June, 2023, 08:31:00 pm »
I was watching a live stream from Essex's match v Somerset in the 20 over format. Somerset's S. African bowler, van der Merwe, stopped a firm straight drive off his own bowling, in the process dislocating his index finger and, apparently, dislodging the nail of the middle finger, of his bowling hand. He came back to bowl his last three balls. 'Ard as nails.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #123 on: 25 June, 2023, 06:08:20 pm »
A new round of County Championship matches starts today.

Essex doing pretty well v 2nd-placed Warks.

Hampshire I reckon have the edge over Middlesex.

Kent doing well v Northants.

Somerset having a bad day v Notts. Interesting, as Somerset are doing exceptionally well in the 20-overs rubbish-cricket, but apparently they have different squads of players for each version of the game.

I'd like to see Lancs beat Surrey, but the latter performed a miracle to beat Kent the other week. Very good side.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #124 on: 26 June, 2023, 12:07:27 pm »
Essex are 457-8, a good total. I notice that one of the officials is Peter Such, who played for Essex in the 1990s.