Author Topic: Who'd have Thor't it......  (Read 2494 times)

Who'd have Thor't it......
« on: 20 December, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »
White supremacists urge Thor boycott over casting of black actor as Norse god | Film | guardian.co.uk

Our office BNP nutter is a big Marvel comics fan...... I'm going to take great pleasure in sending him this link tomorrow.. ;D

Only thing I've seen Idris Elba in was the excellent Ultraviolet, many years ago.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Who'd have Thor't it......
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:43:42 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if this type of casting is simply done to provoke publicity in  this way.

Forgetting the racism for a moment and looking at this logically.

Thor was a white blonde aryan  "Norse" character, and portraying him as a woman, dwarf, or coloured was always going to upset the Marvel fans and anyone else familiar with the character.

Imagine the furore if for instance the Shaft movies were filmed with Bruce Wilis in the lead role?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »
Thor was a bloody redhead.

Marvel Thor is blond.  To quote the best and frankly, only necessary comment on the whole non-issue:

Thor is not a live-action interpretation of Norse Mythology, DUMMIES. You know how you can tell? Here are some examples: Sif has black hair. There
is a robot that shoots lasers out of its face. Volstagg. EVERYONE IS AN
OUTER-SPACE SCIENCE GOD WEARING GIANT SUITS OF GOLD ROBOT ARMOR.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:54:07 pm »
Who says he was a redhead? There are three nordic types, the classic blond aryan, the feisty redhead, and the shorter but far more dangerous dark haired ones. hey arise from four major immigration phases. The Irish king Olav was a redheaded viking. The Normans were of the fair haired stock. Native Orcadians/sutherland etc are the dark haired ones from the more northern norwegian territories.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »
The bloody myths say he is a redhead.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2010, 11:59:39 am »
He isn't cast as Thor.

He's cast as Heimdall "He is the all-seeing and all-hearing guardian sentry of Asgard"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

red marley

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »
I saw a picture of Jesus the other day where they'd cast him as a white man.

« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »
I saw a picture of Jesus the other day where they'd cast him as white man.

;D
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2010, 02:33:47 pm »
He isn't cast as Thor.

lol nobody said he was

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »
I saw a picture of Jesus the other day where they'd cast him as white man.

Yeah I was watching one of those nativity things and EVERYONE in Palestine was white.
It's not like that now although the Israeli army are trying their best to make it happen

« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2010, 02:47:44 pm »
He isn't cast as Thor.

lol nobody said he was

"Thor was a white blonde aryan  "Norse" character, and portraying him as a woman, dwarf, or coloured was always going to upset the Marvel fans and anyone else familiar with the character."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 21 December, 2010, 03:59:29 pm »
my fu is broken by waves of grunting mammon worshippers, where was that from?

« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »
2nd post
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2010, 06:52:42 pm »
I saw a picture of Jesus the other day where they'd cast him as a white man.
So? I've met blue-eyed & red-haired Arabs & blond Jews.

Now, if you made a film, say, in which you showed more than a small minority of the population of 1st century Palestine (or 6th century BC Athens or 4th century BC Makedonia or 1st century BC Rome) as fair-haired, blue-eyed, or the like, then you'd be a right pillock. But one individual for who we have no contemporary pictures or descriptions? Entirely possible.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 21 December, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »
2nd post
Ah yes. Cuno: RTFA :)

Having said that, Marvel have portrayed Thor as a bloody FROG.  Not a Frenchman, not an anthropomorphic froggy-alien, no, a frog-sized FROG.  I don't remember lightning striking Stan Lee as angry Asgardians blood-eagled him on the steps of Marvel Towers.

« Reply #15 on: 21 December, 2010, 08:33:02 pm »
2nd post
Ah yes. Cuno: RTFA :)

Having said that, Marvel have portrayed Thor as a bloody FROG.  Not a Frenchman, not an anthropomorphic froggy-alien, no, a frog-sized FROG.  I don't remember lightning striking Stan Lee as angry Asgardians blood-eagled him on the steps of Marvel Towers.

Have you seen his friends?

« Reply #16 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »
More seriously..

Historically the Norse certainly interacted with Moors and both groups raided each other so a black or Arabic character is not unreasonable

However as I said the Marvel interpretation of Norse mythology is classically Aryan, and the expectation would be to maintain that.

My point is whether the decision over casting was taken to provoke a response such as this and thus garner publicity.

Cynical I admit

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:27:59 pm »
Yes, but is he Worthy?

More to the point is the actor concerned playing the finder of the Hammer and/or Thor himself? In the latter case one suspects he will be considerably CGI enhanced, possibly acquiring long blond hair and fair skin along with the suit of muscles. That would add a certain edge to the role.

I once had a collection of Fantastic comics starting from issue#1.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:53:31 pm »
He's a blond stud already.   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:35:51 am »
Historically the Norse certainly interacted with Moors and both groups raided each other so a black or Arabic character is not unreasonable

A Norse of a different colour?

IGMC
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime