Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 521112 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Pat them with kitchen roll to get rid of as much of the oil as you can and maybe coat them in egg, but even then the oil might stop anything sticking.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Have varrying tinned version of Riga Sprats, so any cooking ideas?

Tonight I had the sprats in oil, emptied the oil out and then tossed then in flour and a few other spices (onion salt, garlic pepper and paprika)  The idea was to cook them like white bait but the flour didn't stick to the fish.

What did I do wrong?

Any other options for the tinned fish?

Too much oil probabaly.  How about break them up, cook gently with some sultanas and pine nuts, then toss into pasta.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Pat them with kitchen roll to get rid of as much of the oil as you can

^this
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Don't bother with the flour, use (some of) the oil the fish has been sitting in, add garlic, olives, bit of chilli, maybe some red pepper, capers if you like, good bit of tomato. Not really a puttanesca, so I'd probably put it with potato (cubed, fried/roasted - air fryer ideal), but works with pasta

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Opened a new bag of seed for the parrot today: 23 dried chilli peppers sitting on top along with a stuck-together ball of candied fruit the size of a golf ball.  The previous bag was similar - chillis must be dead cheap at present.  No point in giving either fruit or peppers to the bird, he just throws them out.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Opened a new bag of seed for the parrot today

How long does it take to grow a parrot from seed?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Opened a new bag of seed for the parrot today

How long does it take to grow a parrot from seed?

Dunno. I'll chuck some out the window and get back to you.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Have five more tins, classical, with spices, with a taste of Lemon, with a taste of garlic and in tomato sauce.

Pat them with kitchen roll to get rid of as much of the oil as you can and maybe coat them in egg, but even then the oil might stop anything sticking.

Egg, then the flour...

Too much oil probabaly.  How about break them up, cook gently with some sultanas and pine nuts, then toss into pasta.

Not sold on the sultana idea.  Was thinking of using the tomato stuff and may be the garlic stuff this way.

Don't bother with the flour, use (some of) the oil the fish has been sitting in, add garlic, olives, bit of chilli, maybe some red pepper, capers if you like, good bit of tomato. Not really a puttanesca, so I'd probably put it with potato (cubed, fried/roasted - air fryer ideal), but works with pasta

Wonder if that would taste good on lard roasted rosemary roast potatoes.

But cubed sounds nice.