Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2467652 times)

ed_o_brain

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1700 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:43:45 pm »
Looks very sporty that, SpaceBadger.
I wonder, can you see into space sat atop that high perch?

Don't mention getting my coat. It's far too warm, I don't need it.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1701 on: 30 June, 2009, 12:50:39 am »
It's been a while since I posted one of mine. .

I'm finally getting around to assembling the Basso.

This is the first 'dry fit'

Trial fitting the components. 8-spd Campag mix.

And refining the riding position - Must remember to buy some cranks!

Scared to ride it to be honest. Too bleedin' fat!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1702 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:43:58 am »
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1703 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:46:19 am »
Very nice Basso as well!

« Reply #1704 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:47:49 am »
Frenchie, busy - well yes as she is a worker bike.  Lovely to ride but still a worker.

Ah, there's something to be said of the PC and his working girl...  ;)  :)

LEE

« Reply #1705 on: 30 June, 2009, 09:43:50 am »
One more to share...

Gorgeous!  :P

..and plenty of room for a Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag.

My neck muscles are hurting just looking at that saddle/handlebar relationship.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1706 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:12:53 am »
Very nice bike Torslanda!

« Reply #1707 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:38:57 am »
Finally my new bike is complete. Only a year now since it went from this:

to this:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #1708 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:40:58 am »
Ladies and Gents,

I present to you my Eviiil Bike:
Don't be fooled by it's white saddle and white bar tape. It's a ruse. This bike is black and evil through and through.
And don't ask me why. It just is.

Hopefully heading for a club run a week on Sunday.  :thumbsup:

Should I go for an obligatory carbon bottle cage or will people look down their snooty noses at me for having an alloy one on there?
Plenty of people use SPDs on road bikes, I will when I eventually succumb to getting one. What's the problem as long as it works for you? Apart from that, I like being able to walk properly....How do you find the ride on your typical British street? I know of people using the Cayo for a commute, but it's more stiff and racey than sportive/fast commute (a la Spesh Roubaix etc) from what I've heard..?

Chris N

« Reply #1709 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:43:14 am »
Very nice alex - good to see a sensible length headtube in a compact frame.

border-rider

« Reply #1710 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:48:38 am »
Yes, very nice

It must be wonderous thing to ride a bike you've really built yourself,  from a pile of tubes :)

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1711 on: 30 June, 2009, 11:05:44 am »
Ladies and Gents,

I present to you my Eviiil Bike:
Don't be fooled by it's white saddle and white bar tape. It's a ruse. This bike is black and evil through and through.
And don't ask me why. It just is.

Hopefully heading for a club run a week on Sunday.  :thumbsup:

Should I go for an obligatory carbon bottle cage or will people look down their snooty noses at me for having an alloy one on there?
Plenty of people use SPDs on road bikes, I will when I eventually succumb to getting one. What's the problem as long as it works for you? Apart from that, I like being able to walk properly....How do you find the ride on your typical British street? I know of people using the Cayo for a commute, but it's more stiff and racey than sportive/fast commute (a la Spesh Roubaix etc) from what I've heard..?

The reviews I have read seem to stack up with what you say. I wanted something 'racey'.

I haven't ridden it far yet, just around the block a couple of times. So with that caveat I will say our local roads are anything but smooth and I'd say it was okay. Certainly not smooth like my Ti bike was but on the other hand only a slight amount of road buzz when riding on a poorly dressed road surface. I was amazed at the amount of forward momentum generated when I pushed off on it. However the effect did not seem so great once I got it upto speed. It's really hard to measure the benefit I'm getting as I don't ride with a computer.

I do see a few people commuting on them in Manchester.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1712 on: 30 June, 2009, 11:51:17 am »
Grub,
Your bike needs blue tyres and a blue or blue/black saddle to balance it up.

TimC,
That Ritchey is a beaut. How does it ride? Does the carbon triangle make for quite a stiff back end?

It rides very comfortably! I don't have much experience of Ti, but in comparison to my Cannondale R1000 (CAAD8), which is the most comfortable aluminium frame I've ever ridden, it's like a feather bed! It's certainly more than stiff enough at the rear to cope with my pathetic power output - prolly a bit stiffer than the 'Dale. It would probably be even more comfortable with a carbon seatpost, but I don't want to risk one of those on a joint that's frequently stressed and destressed by the assembly and disassembly process.

And we are loving your Focus too!

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1713 on: 30 June, 2009, 11:59:39 am »
Funny you should say that about your Cannondale R1000, I'm really impressed with the ride of my M500 (rigid MTB) in spite of it's tyres and wide flat handlebars that I really don't get on with. With a few tweaks it could be a formidable machine.

Arguably too the best Alu framed bike I've ever had. I had envisaged rebuilding the wheels with some 650c rims and suitable tyres, narrowing the bars, adding bar ends and swapping the 22/32/44 chain rings for 26/38/48 making it into the ultimate urban commuting beast and making it suitable for the odd audax too.

« Reply #1714 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:46:17 pm »
Lovely Alex - I really, really want to do that course with Dave Yates too!  One day...

« Reply #1715 on: 30 June, 2009, 02:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. The whole thing ends up getting very expensive though and there's no getting away from the fact that if you are going to do it, don't do it on the cheap. Why would you pay close to £1k (minimum) for a bike you could get made for you for half the cost.

The end result is that you go for mid-high end tubesets, fancy lugs and lots of detail, but the price just keeps piling on!

I don't think I got any change out of £1600 once it's all been costed out. Accommodation and course costs take up 3/4 of that! Materials are maybe £400 on top and then paint adds quite a bit afterwards.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1716 on: 30 June, 2009, 02:59:04 pm »
Alexb,

I think it needs decals! You can actually put your name on it! :p

I notice it has quite a tall headtube, yet quite a short stem angle. Why is this? I would have been tempted by a slightly shorter top tube, and a stem giving a bit more rise, thus allowing for a less slopey top tube. But then there's probably a good reason not to do that?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1717 on: 30 June, 2009, 03:31:18 pm »
I've been waiting to see photos of that bike for ages, Alex.

It doesn't disappoint  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #1718 on: 30 June, 2009, 04:49:56 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. The whole thing ends up getting very expensive though and there's no getting away from the fact that if you are going to do it, don't do it on the cheap. Why would you pay close to £1k (minimum) for a bike you could get made for you for half the cost.

The end result is that you go for mid-high end tubesets, fancy lugs and lots of detail, but the price just keeps piling on!

I don't think I got any change out of £1600 once it's all been costed out. Accommodation and course costs take up 3/4 of that! Materials are maybe £400 on top and then paint adds quite a bit afterwards.

Yeah but YOU made it.  That is priceless really.  Well done.

Really Ancien

« Reply #1719 on: 30 June, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »
Alex's bike is very similar to late 19th Century designs,

Damon.

« Reply #1720 on: 30 June, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »
Alexb,

I think it needs decals! You can actually put your name on it! :p

I notice it has quite a tall headtube, yet quite a short stem angle. Why is this? I would have been tempted by a slightly shorter top tube, and a stem giving a bit more rise, thus allowing for a less slopey top tube. But then there's probably a good reason not to do that?

I've spent months agonising over decals, fonts and names and also headbadges. In the end I decided I'd rather ride it whilst the weather is good.

As for the headtube - well, taller head tubes make for stiffer front ends and longer lasting headsets.
Taller a-head stems just means more spacers, which means less rigidity, worse front end alignment and shorter lived bearings. I also think they look pretty ugly.

The very sloping top tube is for a simple reason, to get the luggage down as low as possible. On my other bike when I'm riding out tof the saddle I can feel the luggage swinging the bike from side to side, on this one I can't. The saddlebag sits nearly 3" lower on this bike than on my Dave Russell.

Dave also designed the front end around a stem length of about 140mm. This ties in with my own feeling from experiments that stems around 120-140mm give very relaxed handling. If you shorten the stem on the same bike (I've tried everything from 150mm down to 90mm on the same frame (not this one)) the handling gets decidedly twitchy as you go shorter than 120mm.

There's a lot of geeky detail in the bike - I had a lot of time to think about what I wanted to change about the bikes I already have.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1721 on: 30 June, 2009, 05:44:03 pm »
Alex's bike is very similar to late 19th Century designs,

Well, the saddle's the same.  ;)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1722 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:47:26 am »
Out for a very very pleasant trip up to Mayfield and environs in May

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1723 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:50:59 am »
Aha: so that's where that Roberts ended up.  V nice, blending in with the cow parsley/bracken verge combination.

Out for a very very pleasant trip up to Mayfield and environs in May

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1724 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:52:48 am »
Yep! I tired of it and just dumped it by the verge, letting the grass grow around it.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex