Author Topic: Trainspotters. Why?  (Read 93029 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Trainspotters. Why?
« Reply #200 on: 05 April, 2014, 09:59:47 am »
Butterfly took this shot of the Severn Valley Railway:
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #201 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:12:58 pm »
Bit unexpected, but while waiting at Ravenglass to go home after playing on the Ratty with Crinklylion and the cubs on Tuesday, I was passed by a nuclear flask train. Two Class 37s pulling one truck: -

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #202 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:31:32 pm »
Oh!  I thought they only operated under the cover of darkness.  Read somewhere there is/was one of those which passed through my station regularly, but only during the night, so maybe it depends on location.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #203 on: 08 August, 2014, 09:42:52 pm »
Often during the day round here. That one would be heading out empty going that way anyway

« Reply #204 on: 09 August, 2014, 10:40:34 am »
When Trawsfynydd was being decommissioned the nuclear train used to come through Chester station at 18:20 every working day. About 5 minutes later it went by the end of my garden. You could hear it from miles away as the exhaust beat of the 2 engines went in and out of sync as it climbed the incline away from the city.

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #205 on: 16 October, 2014, 01:10:00 pm »
Just saw three maroon BR carriages sandwiched between 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley and 61994 The Great Marquess. On their way from a steam gala apparently.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #207 on: 30 November, 2014, 05:36:56 pm »
Saw this on Twitter.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #208 on: 30 November, 2014, 05:57:50 pm »
Good spot Basil!

Normally they only run the Class II on that line.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #209 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:26:21 pm »
Oh!  I thought they only operated under the cover of darkness.  Read somewhere there is/was one of those which passed through my station regularly, but only during the night, so maybe it depends on location.
Probably at night where the daytime schedule is full.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #210 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:03:24 am »
The Titfield Thunderbolt's on telly this morning, a glorious Ealing comedy filmed on a recently-closed Somerset railway line in 1952.  They don't make 'em like that any more, more's the pity.
Milk please, no sugar.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #211 on: 09 January, 2015, 10:48:40 pm »
The Titfield Thunderbolt's on telly this morning, a glorious Ealing comedy filmed on a recently-closed Somerset railway line in 1952.  They don't make 'em like that any more, more's the pity.
Awww, missed it. That's one of the few Ealing comedies that I've not seen. I've seen the ending about 3 times.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #212 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »
On iplayer until tomorrow morning. Location may mean this isn't helpful to you, of course.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #213 on: 10 January, 2015, 02:17:04 am »
:D
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #214 on: 15 January, 2015, 06:43:43 pm »
Rudyard Lake Steam Railway in Staffordshire for sale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-30830799

Hmm. Must buy a lottery ticket this weekend.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #215 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:27:39 pm »
My new favourite website

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/sites.shtml

I'm sure I can fill some gaps (if I can find the discs with the pics on, that is)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #216 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:47:07 pm »
You evil person! 
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #217 on: 24 March, 2015, 02:55:59 pm »
Bit unexpected, but while waiting at Ravenglass to go home after playing on the Ratty with Crinklylion and the cubs on Tuesday, I was passed by a nuclear flask train. Two Class 37s pulling one truck: -

<snip>

Niiiiiice spot. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing they run 2 locos in case one breaks down on route, because Shirley the flask can't outweigh the towing capacity for a unit?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #218 on: 24 March, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »

<snip>

I'm guessing they run 2 locos in case one breaks down on route, because Shirley the flask can't outweigh the towing capacity for a unit?

Precisely. Not as hard to spot round here as many other places really as that's just down the line from Sellafield. THey always double up on locos to make sure the train keeps moving as it would be a security issue if it broke down while carrying material to the site. Often 2 class 37s, though they also have some Class 20s they mix in with them. Both the 20 and 37 are a bit underpowered compared to current freight locos (not that this matters with only a flask or two to pull), but have good route avaliability so probably are a good fit for the wiggly little line along the Cumbrian coast.

Jacomus

« Reply #219 on: 24 March, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

<snip>

Precisely. Not as hard to spot round here as many other places really as that's just down the line from Sellafield. THey always double up on locos to make sure the train keeps moving as it would be a security issue if it broke down while carrying material to the site. Often 2 class 37s, though they also have some Class 20s they mix in with them. Both the 20 and 37 are a bit underpowered compared to current freight locos (not that this matters with only a flask or two to pull), but have good route avaliability so probably are a good fit for the wiggly little line along the Cumbrian coast.

Cool, thanks mcshroom :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #220 on: 03 May, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »
They're fixing up some A1s.

This is the view of the end of my street wot I lives on  :D

May 2015 608 by ruthturner3, on Flickr
Milk please, no sugar.

sam

« Reply #221 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:22:13 pm »
I like trains well enough, but the only thing that really interests me if if they're roughly on time.

Visited the London Transport Museum Depot on their open day last week. It was pretty congested; reminded me of those trains you see in India with passengers riding on top...

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #222 on: 03 May, 2015, 05:58:16 pm »
They're fixing up some A1s.

This is the view of the end of my street wot I lives on  :D

May 2015 608 by ruthturner3, on Flickr

To be precise, an A1, or more precise THE A1, as its the only one (none were preserved), wot was built as a replica/recreation, a few years ago.  Shame the boiler was made in Germany, buy hey, its a nice big girly, is Tornado.
Wombat

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #223 on: 03 May, 2015, 06:08:22 pm »
I stand corrected.

Did I mention that's taken from outside my house?   8)
Milk please, no sugar.

Jacomus

« Reply #224 on: 03 May, 2015, 06:12:05 pm »
I stand corrected.

Did I mention that's taken from outside my house?   8)

;D