Author Topic: Handlebar stem with QR for storage  (Read 375 times)

Handlebar stem with QR for storage
« on: 28 April, 2024, 12:13:19 pm »
I've no idea if such a thing exists, but I was wondering if anyone sells a stem that can quickly be turned round so the bars don't take up as much width? Space in my shed is at a premium, so this would be helpful.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Handlebar stem with QR for storage
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2024, 12:41:57 pm »
N-Lock made them about 10 years ago.  Cannot tell if still available.  Byshulz do them https://byschulz.com/product/stem-twist-sds/?lang=en  stocked byrosebikes and hollandbikeshop and others.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2024, 03:20:30 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2024, 06:27:18 pm »
Thank you. I also found some folding (flat) bars, but I'm not sure I'd trust those.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2024, 09:46:10 am »
Alternatively (assuming it's a threadless steerer) one of these. Fits below stem so stem can be loosened and rotated without messing up the bearing preload. Still need an Allen key for stem bolts, takes slightly longer than a quick release, and needs there to be sufficient space (~10mm) below stem; but a) cheaper and b) allows you to keep existing stem.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2024, 09:57:53 am »
Alternatively (assuming it's a threadless steerer) one of these. Fits below stem so stem can be loosened and rotated without messing up the bearing preload. Still need an Allen key for stem bolts, takes slightly longer than a quick release, and needs there to be sufficient space (~10mm) below stem; but a) cheaper and b) allows you to keep existing stem.

Hmm - occasional use perhaps - and you really need to tighten the stem bolts with a torque wrench.   I can see using it for infrequent use when the bike goes on a car carrier with another machine?