Author Topic: July planting  (Read 4894 times)

July planting
« on: 01 July, 2008, 12:43:05 pm »
Any suggestions for things I can stick in the ground now-ish?  We have some bare spaces (courgettes didn't germinate & another couple of patches which I forgot needed filling) which I'd like to put things in.

Not keen on brassicas (we have had Abject Fail on the brassica front in the past). 

Intending to put some more carrots in after the earlier lot failed dismally.

Are there any beans it's worth putting in this late?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: July planting
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2008, 12:51:12 pm »
Depends if you want ready growing plants or seeds.

It's not too late to plant up some beans, you will need to make sure they are in a sunny spot (to make up for the late planting) and have plenty of water.

Same for squash.

Salad leaves?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2008, 01:43:43 pm »
I was thinking of seeds (plants are expensive!). 

We have a couple of squash in - I might try planting one or two more (a couple failed to germinate).  If I start them on the windowsill that might help.  I'll try the beans as well - thanks!

Salad leaves - the trouble is that I'm not really down there often enough to pick them sufficiently fast.  And I have loads of salad leaves on the balcony.  I might try some mizuna to use as cooking-leaves, though. 

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2008, 03:20:28 pm »
Strawberries - I just planted mine in the new allotment. You'll get nothing till next year, but it's worth the wait.

Check out http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/ - there's a calendar somewhere on there.
A shitter and a giggler.

Si

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2008, 03:40:20 pm »
at the moment I'm putting in turnips, beetroots, chard, and yet more peas.
turnips are going in as the spuds come up.  Beetroots are replacing the ones that i sewed too early, have done them at this time of year before and it worked well.  Ditto the chard.  For the peas I'm fighting the losing battle of trying to dig more beds from the couch grass waste land behind the muck heap so that I can use them all up after over buying.

And raddishes - if there is an inch of spare space i always pop a radish in.

and something else in pots.  dunno what it is - planted it last week and have forgotten what it was, but what ever it is it's coming up well.

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2008, 04:45:51 pm »
We have *stacks* of strawberries already (om nom nom...) - they're spreading underneath the raspberry canes from where they started off next to 'em, which is something of which I heartily approve.  I encourage anyone who doesn't have strawberries to stick some in, though!  (Also raspberries, assuming you like raspberries - ours produce like mad with only very little effort from us.)

Bodger - I'll try some more peas, cheers!  Hadn't thought of turnips, and we have some beets in but I could add a few more. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2008, 04:59:11 pm »
Strawberries - I just planted mine in the new allotment. You'll get nothing till next year, but it's worth the wait.

Check out http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/ - there's a calendar somewhere on there.

I have spare strawberry plants (and berries) if you anyone might wish to collect...

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:02:45 pm »
I grew a strawberry last year.   Didn't think it was worth the effort :-\

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »
I grew a strawberry last year.   Didn't think it was worth the effort :-\
We were picking >500 grams of strawberries per day last week.
Several yacfers have picked a fair number and I gave my sister 1.5kg on Sunday.
I also took some to David's choral concert at the solstice and to Barnet Cyclists' 25th birthday party last Thursday.

« Reply #9 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:31:34 am »
Nutty - strawberry plants last for several years, so you'll tend to not get many (if any) first year & then they'll do better thereafter.  We're getting stacks at the moment after only a small handful last year. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:27:02 am »
Strawberry plants last as long as you let them, propagating vegetatively by sending out runner bearing small plants. These will take over your garden if unchecked.
I bought my plants from Woolworth's several years ago.

They've been moved twice and are rather successful.

Otto

« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2008, 09:30:41 am »
Sald stuff..lettuce, Endive, Lambs lettuce, Rocket, American Land cress (very peppery)..

« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:01:33 pm »
Nutty - strawberry plants last for several years, so you'll tend to not get many (if any) first year & then they'll do better thereafter.  We're getting stacks at the moment after only a small handful last year. 

Mine are giving me nothing this year.

But the compost they created might be helping feed the rest of the garden  ;D

(I ripped the whole lot out in disgust and threw them in the bin.  There's no way I'd have had the patience to keep watering the grow bags all the way from last August/September through to this June/July to see if I got two strawberries.)

Otto

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2008, 01:04:23 pm »
My rockery is coverd with wild strawberries...wonderfully sweat and fruity have had bucket loads of th ethings, would have had mor eif the birds weren't so fond of them

« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »
Last weekend I planted some radish and some mizuna.
Fingers crossed for a good crop.

« Reply #15 on: 11 July, 2008, 10:14:50 am »
I have stuck some more carrots & beets in, and some pak choi.  Mizuna also on the list.  We had the first of the existing beets at the weekend, & they were *amazingly* tasty, just baked in the oven.  Mm.