Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 106147 times)

I'm not sure what sort of STI levers you have that require the lever to be pushed outwards. I only know ones where both levers push inwards, but clearly there are various types I'm not familiar with. In terms of twist grips, I had a SRAM twistgrip for several years on a flat-barred bike and it had two problems: when new it was crisp and easy to use but over time, the internal gubbins wore away and it became rather imprecise in action; and more significantly for you, it did put load on the joint of the thumb and palm. I'd have thought down-tube levers, or maybe bar ends, would be better in your case. But it sounds worth experimenting with different shifting systems to find what works for you.

I was thinking the other night "got that wrong!" but the STI ones that I have (and that even though they're old work very sweetly) have the brake lever that moves to pull the cable and a parallel lever underneath (or inside if you like) that releases it. I think it must be the inside lever that plays havoc with my thumb but since I am not using them (although the levers are still on the 992, just operating the brakes!) and the bike is on the rack for the winter I am not going to go out and check it.
3kms with the Alfin bike tonight riding back from dropping off a company car and I felt every minute of it with the shifters. This is on flat bars so the only other option to me looks to be twistgrip. They're cheap as well.
Both the dérailleur drop bar bikes are on downtube shifters, indexed on the Gitane and friction on the 992. As Brucey has remarked, modern sprocket profiles and shifting technology make dt levers a joy compared to what they were in my youth (but indexed is the top, even with my cheap Sunrace levers).

:D  How to save all up weight.  I love a cafe stop.  However I have a bad habit of just throwing the change from the tea and cake into my bike bag.   After the holidays (I take the Ti mugs even to a hotel with an electric kettle so we can always have tea in our room) I was putting stuff back and thought I would just tidy my bag.  Change ammounting to 300grm was removed from the bag,  proably worth 10's of pounds sterling of weight saving TI bits for a Brompton as well as paying for several weeks of tea and cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Locking my bike up outside a friend's house, she pointed out to me that my lights were on.
"That's okay, it's just the standlight. They'll turn themselves off in a minute."
"Do your lights call the ambulance if you fall off?"
" ???"
"My foster son's just spent a year choosing some bike lights – he's had the bike five years and I don't think he's ridden it yet – and he's chosen some lights with a built-in alarm that calls 999 if he falls off."
" ::-)"

(foster son is about 35 and no he's not an expeditioner in remote places)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'd heard that those were a thing.  From the people who keep bringing us bike indicators.

Hase have excelled themselves this time, with a steampunk kettwiesel-strandbeest hybrid.  Night ride to Whitby anyone?

https://youtu.be/UDz3Dg1qnz0?t=342

...and here's how to convert your bike to Strandbeest drive: https://youtu.be/fXXJ1LOqHEk

:D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Chain's a bit slack.

Half watching some Icelandic/nordic/cold crime thing on telly t'other night. The bad guy from central police who had been sent to investigate the liked local cop cycled but in lycra etc. It was clear that they didn't like the guy and this seemed to be part of the character build up to show he is a bit of a twat. Many jokes about must have a sore bottom etc

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Found this video on the internet

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B7zGJ4-luoA/

feeling personally attacked ;D
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Had a fondle at a cow-orker’s Gocycle today. It weighted an absolute bloody ton, to my surprise, but in fairness 1) it is the first e-bike I have lifted and 2) it had a Carradice Barley on the back of it with unknown contents.

But I don’t think it was the bag.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Half watching some Icelandic/nordic/cold crime thing on telly t'other night. The bad guy from central police who had been sent to investigate the liked local cop cycled but in lycra etc. It was clear that they didn't like the guy and this seemed to be part of the character build up to show he is a bit of a twat. Many jokes about must have a sore bottom etc

Yes, we saw that too  :demon:

This looks lovely. The main road is shite.

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2020/Jan/Full-steam-ahead-for-new-cycleway.aspx

Eagle-eyed observers might recognise aptstarfish, once OTP.

First time on an Azuma with a bike, and I'm pretty sure I've knackered a mudflap trying to wrangle the bike into the space.

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2020/Jan/Full-steam-ahead-for-new-cycleway.aspx

That path from Warkworth to Hipsburn means that drivers are tossers if you ride on the road. I hope this is a better path.

Phil W

First time on an Azuma with a bike, and I'm pretty sure I've knackered a mudflap trying to wrangle the bike into the space.

Azuma bike spaces are shit. I lost the plastic bit off a bar end shifter last time I used the space. Plus needed the other cyclist to get their bike out before I could retrieve mine.

The mudflap is fine, but the mudguard is fucked.

That path from Warkworth to Hipsburn means that drivers are tossers if you ride on the road. I hope this is a better path.

Away from the road, so hopefully not.

And hopefully they'll start opening up the rest of the railway too (must ask Alex).

Thanks for highlighting that. As you say the main road is a bugger.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Azuma bike spaces are shit. I lost the plastic bit off a bar end shifter last time I used the space. Plus needed the other cyclist to get their bike out before I could retrieve mine.

The mudflap is fine, but the mudguard is fucked.

Probably worth grinking the TOC every time this stuff happens, if only so they can't claim that they haven't had any complaints about it.  Who knows, they might give you some rail vouchers or something...

Good point, Kim - I have done.

Two things. My mad and entirely un ecological minded Egyptian neighbours sold his car as no where to park it and is buying him and his son new bikes so can cycle to school like they did before he got a car. I think this was prompted by him getting a ticket recently for being parked in the road during the hour your not so as commuters don't all day. This was good to hear

Less so my member of staff at work told me her mid thirties daughter who works between two hospital sites isn't going to work at one due to them saying the parking permit they have to buy will no longer cover them but will at local park and ride. She will have to drive 3 or so miles past the hospital to get to said park and ride

I suggested she gets a bike. Google has it as 25 minutes from her house to work cycling and 20 minutes driving when traffic is usual. You'd have thought I suggested drinking raw sewage from the look I got

bludger

Took the new fixed gear (Aventon Cordoba) out on the roads today. God I love aluminium frames. I always knew that they were good, my first road bike of my own was an alloy frame, and it's such a great feeling bike. Carbon fork to take the buzz off but it feels really, really good to ride around.

Think whenever there is a 'next bike' it's going to be an alloy frame and carbon forks. The value for money cannot be beat and it feels great.

Ban cars.

Moon Nebula 2 rear light.

For gods’ sakes. That is bloody insane. There are only a few of those modes that I would dare inflict on others.

Neat little job though.

I’m about to turn N into N+1 and am rapidly approaching Mrs WM’s tolerance limit for storing bikes in the dining room. Am considering buying a bike shed and storing some of the bikes outdoors, but concerned about the effect of damp. Is this concern valid or misplaced? Is the answer dependent upon frame material? All advice / experience welcomed.
Eddington Number = 132

bludger

I wouldn't be concerned about it - I'd recommend the Asgard steel sheds. It'd be of more concern if you're near the sea. My family's been keeping bikes in sheds for decades, only problem so far is that they seem to fill up very quickly, necessitating another shed...

At one point my dad peaked at 3 full sized sheds

Ban cars.

I bought and erected a couple of cheap "Yardmaster" 6x4 sheds from Argos to store the bikes that I don't use often.  These sheds get mixed reviews but I've found that they do build up into a nice rigid structure and are pretty much maintenance free.  I'm able to get 2 bikes in each with space available for storing spare wheels and the like.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas