Author Topic: Vulcan - live  (Read 5643 times)

Vulcan - live
« on: 16 April, 2008, 08:02:35 am »
BBC Breakfast news - item on the vulcan at RAF Cottesmore live in 10 minutes.
Not sure if it is a flight.

Re: Vulcan - live
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2008, 08:07:09 am »
Flight's at 2pm today. according to the radio 5 live feature. The sound of the plane in action was decribed as a "distinctive howl".

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2008, 08:15:59 am »
The BBC Breakfast report said there would be further coverage on BBC News 24, later today, I'd guess live coverage of the flight.

YACF crews to the ready room. Chocks away.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 09:18:59 am »
Ah - Avro!

*cue misty remeniscences*

:(

spen666

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 10:10:08 am »
Its a plane- why is everyone getting so excited

"Plane flies" - hardly seems like a news story and need for an OB

What would they make if they went to say Heathrow Airport where apparently several planes fly each day!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2008, 11:55:38 am »
Its a plane- why is everyone getting so excited

"Plane flies" - hardly seems like a news story and need for an OB

Such sacrilege!

The Vulcan was (and is) a thing of beauty and design, poetry in motion, the essence of raw power.

To have one of those zoom over your head and then go vertically upwards on full afterburners is a special moment.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:03:54 pm »
Just watched the Cottesmore take off on TV.  Just a hint of the noise over the tv but still made my hair curl.   Really took me back.  had forgotten how short a run it needed to leap into the air.

Marvellous to see it fly again but good that it's no longer needed for an active role.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2008, 02:07:39 pm »
Such sacrilege!
The Vulcan was (and is) a thing of beauty and design, poetry in motion, the essence of raw power.
To have one of those zoom over your head and then go vertically upwards on full afterburners is a special moment.

Having grown up just down the road from RAF Leeming I can confirm seeing tham take off is a sight to behold, seeing them come in low(as in being able to count the rivets on the underside of the bird) over the A1 to land is more, errrrr, pants browning :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2008, 03:57:48 pm »
The Vulcan is nice. Flight was at 14:00 but it didn't go that well: BBC link.

BBC video

I personally love Mirages and have a thing for the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OEe5pbLjTvQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OEe5pbLjTvQ&rel=1</a> and the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DbGYDk8q94&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4DbGYDk8q94&rel=1</a>.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2008, 05:15:14 pm »
When I was a child living in southern London (Thornton Heath), I guess around the mid-late 60's, I remeber a Vulcan flying overhead at quite a low level. I recall it was more of a roar than a howl and it seemed briefly to block out the whole sky! In later years I when reading THHGTTG I remembered that sight and sound when the Vogon constructor fleet's arrival was described  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »
Anyone else spot Bards on this clip?

Here

bobmick

« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:35:48 pm »
My gran and grandad lived in Waddington and close to the RAF base.  I used to love watching them take off and land when I was a kid.

« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2008, 02:40:45 pm »

« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2008, 06:53:16 pm »

Ah, memories of the 1950s:

Loads of Vulcans at (I think) Scampton... a week there with the CCF (combined cadet force, not combined cycling forum).

"Long" bike rides to outside (eg) RAF Little Rissington, where the number and variety of aircraft was amazing.

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2008, 06:55:01 pm »
They used to fly down my valley in Dorset in the 1970's and just skim over the Giant Hill.  I loved it!

Rob S

« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2008, 07:10:51 pm »
The Vulcan flying overhead at RNAS Culdrose was definitely the loudest thing I've ever heard :o

Well done to all the people responsible for getting it flying again :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2008, 07:18:32 am »
They were a common sight above the skies in Gainsborough when I was little.  By the end of primary school they hardly warranted a look up from the playground.  I'd like to see one again, though. I think it was RAF Waddingham they were based rather than Scampton.

These days when I'm visiting my Mum its the Red Arrows training.  They definitely are based in Scampton (and Cyprus in the Winter).

Rollo

« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:07:14 am »
RAF Waddington, near Lincoln,  was where I got reasonably close to them as a spotty 16 year old on a week away in the CCF.
My abiding memory of that week is getting bollocked by some sergeant for marching around the airbase like a puppet :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:26:56 am »
I've stood underneath the rotting one at Coventry Airport.

Very sad to see all the insulation falling off the wiring loom, and very instructive as to how much work has been done on this flying one.

It is simpler than it looks.

Domestique

« Reply #19 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:46:05 am »
I dont have much of an interest in war machines but in the early 90's during one Southend air show didnt one of these black triangles fly over Southend?
I seem to remember thinking the windows in the house where going to vibrate themselves free of the frames  >:(

Sophie Days.

« Reply #20 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:54:05 am »
The Vulcan is also a bit of social history; not only on the grand scale about Britain, our nuclear deterrent and the cold war, but also on a much more intimate level.

It's hard to imagine these days that an aircraft would be designed where only the pilot and co-pilot had ejector seats, whilst the rest of the aircrew were left to sort themselves out as best they could. Or not.

Sometimes we forget how pervasive the class system was. It may not have disappeared completely, but surely this level of 'looking after our own' would be unacceptably today?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:20:51 am »
It's more likely to have been a cost decision. Pilots being the most expensive to replace.

Plus the world is going to change a bit if you have just dropped a bomb that killed 100,000 people, does it matter that much if you can't escape a plane?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #22 on: 19 April, 2008, 11:19:59 am »
It's more likely to have been a cost decision. Pilots being the most expensive to replace.

Indeed.

cc93

« Reply #23 on: 19 April, 2008, 12:38:11 pm »
Apart from engine failure during take-off, the crew would surely have time to bale out first, leaving the pilots to stay until the last minute to ensure the plane crashed safely (if you see what I mean)?

« Reply #24 on: 19 April, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »
Apart from engine failure during take-off ...

I don't know what the acceptance rules were back then, but this is (1) unlikely to be that dramatic and (2) even with one engine down the plane should still be able to keep ascending I would have thought.