Author Topic: Electronic cat flaps  (Read 6307 times)

Electronic cat flaps
« on: 23 March, 2010, 07:54:54 am »
Does anyone have any experience of the electronic cat flaps which read the subcutaneous ID chips, so only let the correct cats in?

We're being invaded (again)!

Thanks

Steve
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Electronic cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2010, 08:12:59 am »
We use the magnetic collar ones ourselves. Stopped an invading Tom getting in here.

You need Flo Control.

Flo Control

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2010, 08:36:45 am »
Sureflap FTW :thumbsup:.

In fact I put new batteries in ours last night, so it's done around 9 months on a set of rechargeables.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2010, 08:49:14 am »
Sureflap FTW :thumbsup:.

In fact I put new batteries in ours last night, so it's done around 9 months on a set of rechargeables.

Excellent!

and..

I have more than one cat. Can SureFlapTM learn all of them?

Yes. SureFlapTM can remember up to 32 different cats at the same time - more than enough for most people's lifetime!

Even if you exceed the limit of 32 cats, then the oldest codes are replaced first. There is also the option to wipe the memory if you mistakenly program the wrong cat in...

We have 'only' 3.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2010, 08:51:41 am »
I've been using the Pet Porte for over 12 months, and it works fine.

As far as I know, no other cat has managed to break through it, and it lets Talisker in and out with no issues.

He does have a tendency to sit right next to it sometimes, which can cause frequent beeps from it (this can be turned off if annoying).

I'm glad the Pet Porte is mains powered, since I don't have to worry about bugger lugs being locked out because I don't realise the battery has died!  I've heard of people using the Sureflap who did have to replace the battery more frequently, because the cat sat near the detector a lot, and triggered it unnecessarily.

On the other hand you do need a mains plug somewhere in the vicinity of where the flap is, which could be a nuisance.  I've put the flap through the wall rather than in a door, and the power for the tumble drier is right next to it, so I don't have a problem with this.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2010, 09:41:24 am »
Our Sureflap is in the downstairs loo, so no mains nearby ;). Ours is also through a wall - took me most of a w/e to hack through it :-[.

I'm not too concerned about battery life. We have 3 cats so it gets used a lot. Nine months on the last charge is pretty good, IMO.

BTW, our old cat had an old-style chip which was not compatible with the Sureflap at the time we obtained it. However, I understand that compatibility has now been extended. We had a new chip fitted to the cat as we were having the kittens done at the same time and this hasn't caused a problem.

FWIW, the owner of Pet Porte tried to discredit Sureflap when it was launched which I thought was a bit low. PP needs mains as the power draw is much higher than SF.
Pen Pusher

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2010, 10:58:35 am »
I read the thread title as 'Electronic Flat Caps' and though that it was about Yorkshire entering the 20th century...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2010, 11:02:00 am »
I can't say that I've ever noticed any particular animosity between either of the companies, or no more than between any competitors.

I prefer the Pet Porte one, because it is more configurable.  I can set it to only allow Talisker in and out during the day, and change how long the door is unlocked for, after the chip is detected.  Both flaps allow you do to things like open the flap to any cat, or inbound only (what the Pet Porte calls Vet mode!).

The Pet Porte is more expensive than the Sureflap one, which I guess reflects the increased complexity and functionality of the design.

Power consumption is still pretty low for the main powered Pet Porte, it's not going to make a noticeable difference to your bill.  I much prefer never having to think about batteries whatsoever.

« Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
We've had to order this one (warning -- irritating video!) as the others were too small for our cats.  Lazy neutered Maine Coon toms tend to end up a bit 'round'.

S

« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2010, 09:35:49 am »
A Colleague had a magnetic one and  when he had the kittens he also put collars on. He claims he came down one morning to find one the kittens stuck to the Fringe by its collar!

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2010, 11:58:45 am »
A Colleague had a magnetic one and  when he had the kittens he also put collars on. He claims he came down one morning to find one the kittens stuck to the Fringe by its collar!

We used to have those.  Never got a cat stuck to the fridge, but we've had the odd can being dragged around the place.  ;D

They don't wear collars now, so the chip based ones are the only answer.

S

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2010, 05:20:45 pm »
Read this as electronic flat caps.
Stropping rocks

The Mechanic

« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2010, 11:39:28 am »
Friends of mine had two small dogs, a Westie and a border terrier,  with a dog flap in the kitchen door.  The westie got his goolies caught in the flap and would never come in it after that, althought he was happy to go out.  The other dog clocked this reluctance and used it to his advantage.  They had a bean bag apiece but one was better than the other and the Westie was top dog so always got the best bag.  BT developed a wizard wheeze to get possesion of the best bag by running out of the flap in a hurry, Westie, wondering what was going on, ran after BT, who immediately came back in and settle himself on the best bag leaving Westie outside.  Funniest thing I ever saw and quite calculated.

« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2010, 07:07:31 pm »
Cat flap is now fitted.
However, the intruder's chip seems to have become programmed in as he was quite happily activating the flap earlier this evening.
 :facepalm:
We have cleared the memory, located all our cats, and tried again...

S
But that does answer one question -- the house which usually 'leaks' cats round here doesn't bother with chips, but only raises the question of where is supposed to live!

« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2010, 07:51:28 pm »
Generally with these devices, it's best to programme the cat in with it sat on your lap, before you install the flap!

You then only need to use the "Enable programming mode, shove cat through flap" approach with any new cats. ;D

« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2010, 09:07:35 pm »
How are you getting on with your cat flap Steve?

I did baulk a bit at the prices but will have to bite the bullet. One cat won't wear a collar without it making her ill so a magnetic one is out of the question.

How close does the cat need to be before it activates? And also for the Pet Porte one Tim if you read this?
I can't see this in the links provided.

All I need to do is wave a cat at it and tell it to remember it?

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2010, 07:34:35 am »
How close does the cat need to be before it activates? And also for the Pet Porte one Tim if you read this?

Hmm, not entirely sure, fairly close, although the sensor is in the porch which sticks out, so in essence the cat is below this when it triggers.  It's not such an issue for me, since I put mine in a wall, so the porch is outside, and the flap is on the inside of the wall, so probably 12 inches further inside.

As far as I know Talisker has never bopped his head because the latch hasn't had time to operate, although it seems to detect and open the door pretty fast, so I suspect would work with even a fairly fast moving moggy.

All I need to do is wave a cat at it and tell it to remember it?

With the Pet Porte, you hold down a couple of the buttons to switch it into learn mode, and then you've got 30 seconds to put the cat under the sensor.  They suggest that initially you program cats in before you mount the door, that way you know it works, and it's easier to do, since you just wave the sensor over the cat sat on your lap.

Once it's all mounted, it would involve shoving cats through the door (whilst in learn mode).

« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:50:18 am »
Can someone change the title of this thread

I keep reading it as Electronic Flat Caps   and wondering what the hell they are ??? ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2010, 12:57:33 pm »
I keep reading it as Electronic Flat Caps   and wondering what the hell they are ??? ;D

This year's must-have steampunk accessory. :)

« Reply #19 on: 26 April, 2010, 04:26:46 pm »

This year's must-have steampunk accessory. :)

"... And the Deluxe version comes replete with a Patent Phlogiston Protective liner*, so the Gentleman about Town is no longer troubled by malicious influences in the æther..."

* Otherwise known as tin foil. And before anyone pulls me up on the usage of "phlogiston", it's just a joke Victorian advert, okay? ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche