Kildale 27th 28th 29th Jan

Friday night attendees
1 (5.9%)
Saturday night attendees
2 (11.8%)
Friday and Saturday night attendees
14 (82.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Winter hostelling  (Read 57292 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Winter hostelling
« Reply #550 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:55:13 pm »
I think I caused Clarion some extra laundry by taking a _flash_ photo of him fettling the heaters electrics.... :-[

He was remarkably restrained about it...... ;D

I believe I advised on the inadvisability of so doing ;D

Sorry if I was a bit tetchy.
Getting there...

« Reply #551 on: 29 January, 2012, 10:52:47 pm »
Some photographs.

Friday night:

Shyumu, Mrs Miggins, Kim & Rower40

The always radiant Kim

Rowan

Wowbagger

Small, smiley person

TGL (James)

Table Futbol, on a very dodgy table...

Pensive Kim

T1000(GL) evaluating possible responses to photographer....F**K You, A**hole

A small church

Mrs Miggins, Lanterne Rouge, Wowbagger, Loadsabikes, Canardly

Cliffs at Saltburn

Clarion & Kim demonstrating the use of the Lightweight Racing Multimeter..

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #552 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »
Arrived home about 19.30. A great weekend with good company and remarkably tolerant weather.
Wow's report sums it all up very well. The rest of the ride to York passed without any further visitations and our trio arrived cold, wet and tired at the Den to be greeted with hot coffee and caik. Marvelous!
Thanks to the organisers and participants for a great weekend, see you at the next one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #553 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »
Home and showered before my body got fed up with all the abuse and went on strike.  I think I may have go into hibernation for a bit.  Thanks to all involved for a fantastic, if somewhat cold, weekend.

« Reply #554 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:49:29 pm »
I got home just after 10pm, so about 2 hours quicker than the ride up. I thought I had a headwind on the way up.
That was very good.
I'll say more tomorrow. I'm tired now and should get some sleep before work.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #555 on: 30 January, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »
So onwards we soldiered.

Back the way we had come, through Hutton rudby, East Rounton (where we managed to avoid the allure of the cafe) and on to Brompton, whereupon it started to rain, which lead Clarion to declare "I am not going through Brompton again, it always rains when I do!".

Quickly back to THoFC, tea drunk and the Southerners seen off to their train.

I then managed to relax a bit, eat dinner and reflect a bit on the weekend.

Good points

Seeing so many people having a good time, despite the camping barn being possibly the coldest place in North Yorkshire this weekend (the heat from the heaters seemed to do nothing to the overall ambient temp).

Meeting friends, new and old (and in one case both, sorry Canardly, I didn't recognise you!)

Going for a bike ride with a great bunch of people, in fact it didn't so much seem like a bike ride as a social chatting session on bikes.

Going up Shepherd hill, getting further than I ever have without dismounting (but I still didn't get all the way up).

Eating cake and not feeling guilty

Having a >100 mile 3 dayer, the first time this year.

Hearing one person say "I really must move to North Yorkshire", I am not saying who it was, but his Dad can rest assured he has done a good job :)

Having one of my friends re-arrange what she was doing so that another forumite didn't have to worry about getting kit back to me.

Bad points

The cold(but then again it is the end of Jan)!

Me missing out on Saturday night.

So, on balance it is in the positive!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #556 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:41:17 pm »
My thanks for huge support from LG, TM and IZ and was really good to meet lots of peeps for the first time who make belonging to this 'ere forum fun. I cant think of another situation where an offering of Islay malt would be waved at you at arms length around the leading edge of a door by way of introduction  I would second comments above as to how everyone pitched in and made things available to all whilst later also allowing some of we male types to slope off virtually effort free.....Lantern Rouge was an excellent ride leader and provided local insight.The food was first rate and hugely appreciated. My tin of Tuna remains unopened. The key thing for me was people seem to enjoy themselves which is really the main point of the exercise. (It was definitely a tad cool). However how many times do you get the opportunity to meet on the terrace at 5 am o'clock' ish to look at an emerging frozen landscape designed in heaven?  Teethgrinder still takes my breath away. 416 miles for some (excellent) soup, casserole and CAIK is taking things very seriously. Overall WB captures the spirit of the week end to a tee. P.s. I still don't believe Andrew's story that is a tent, looks like a UFO to me.

Mr Cook (the farmer) was a delight and expressed his concern that another group had booked saturday night when we all appeared to be going out for a ride late morning.

I cant remember the last time where spontaneous singing impacted upon so much on the atmosphere...... yes I can, it was in St Davids circa 1972 Where an Irish girl sang Danny Boy.

Just a word on the sprogs they were hugely well behaved are good fun and are a credit to CL and seemed to have a hoot of a time. And for Mrs Miggins this was her first YACF foray which (I think) she quite liked. So I hope she and Loadsabikes will be up for lots more stuff and nonsense as will you all.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #557 on: 31 January, 2012, 04:10:51 pm »
Islay malt would be waved at you at arms length around the leading edge of a door by way of introduction

I wish I'd brought more, that I could have stayed, and that I could have joined the subsequent bicycle rides out into the moors.  Next time.  Great photo and lovely company.  Good to talk to Mrs Miggins about folding bicycles and to get to meet Charlotte, oh she of long white beard.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #558 on: 31 January, 2012, 06:31:42 pm »
Friday

So, after a pretty awful week of hibernating and failing to get anything done, I somehow managed to find myself in a zombie state on the platform at Mordor Central equipped with an upwrong sporting Marathon Winters and faulty lighting, not much in the way of food, and a couple of panniers of randomly thrown-together Stuff.  The train arrived well ahead of its departure time so that the crew could change over, so I took the opportunity to diagnose and fettle the lighting back into working order (some mystery short in the rear light, cured by taking it apart and putting it back together again), before stowing the bike in the CrossCountry Dangly Bike Space™ and finding a sensible seat.

A couple of hours of MP3-assisted snoozing later, I emerged shivering onto the platform at York, and made my way to ever-freezing Platform 11 for the connecting train to Northallerton.  The train arrived, and the driver and guard jumped off and started inspecting the running gear with torches.  Not entirely confidence-inspiring, but it meant there was clearly no rush to locate the bike space and secure my bike.  That done, I stood in the doorway looking for Wowbagger, who was due to be on the same train.  The train departed with no sign of him, so I assumed we were mistaken and taking different trains.

Getting off at Northallerton, I spotted Wow at the other end of the platform.  It seems that he'd managed to miss all of York station's fine assortment of lifts, and had lugged his bike across the footbridge, arriving on the platform just in time to occupy the wheelchair space at the first-class end of the train.

We proceeded to Tiermat's House of Fine Coffee, where we discovered andrewc and interzen.  After offloading some panniers, to interzen's car, we set off for Killdale.  It was obseverd that I'd brought my own gravel driveway, and that the distinctive sound of tungsten on tarmac meant I was unlikely to be lost from the group.  After a while, we randomly encountered rower40, on trademark orange bling, at a junction without the aid of GPS tracking technology.  Over Wowbagger's Bridge, which was an excellent alternative to crossing the A19 at ground level, and into Stokesley for supplies (which would have been easier if we hadn't offloaded most of our luggage to interzen).

This was the point where I first got properly cold, and while the gentle climb towards Kildale warmed me up somewhat, it also got me nice and wet.  With some muddy off-road on the final approach, we entered the freezing gloom of the barn, to find our luggage plus an assortment of forumites.  At about 45km, that was the longest ride I'd done since I DNFed the York dart in November.  With the heater failing to fend off the shakes, I went to investigate the showers, on the basis that even if they were rubbish, dry clothes would probably help.  The showers were adequate, if interestingly arranged in a single, generously-sized cubicle, though the low ambient temperature in the toilet block did little for my shivers.

Returning to the barn, where a proper investigation of the heating arrangements seemed bleak, with several electric heaters, all of fairly rubbish power output.  Perhaps the most disappointing was a 1200W radiant heater with two of three elements faulty, rendering it more a source of moody lighting than anything in the way of heat.  Our best hope for warming the barn seemed to be to fill it with as many bodies as possible, and a steady trickle of arriving forumites boded well in that respect.  Unfortunately, more people meant more door-openings, and it seemed that the entire barn's worth of accumulated heat would escape with every bike-check and visit to the loo.  CrinklyLion appeared, and as per tradition, lent me an extra layer.

As the evening wore on, people gradually retired to mattresses on the (not significantly warmer) upper level.  Naturally, I started to feel reasonably awake for the first time all day.  As it became apparent that bed was probably a good idea, I peered at the upper level and decided that there probably wasn't room to deploy any more mattresses without disturbing one of the sleeping bodies.  Fortunately, I had a Downmat, and on the basis that it's supposed to be effective for camping at temperatures down to -25C, I reckoned it ought to cope fine with a rug-covered concrete floor at something vaguely above zero.  TGL, who had originally planned to loiter within tent but was put off by rain, opted for a similar Thermarest-based approach, as did mcshroom.  As ever, I was awakened by my bladder sometime after 3am, and discovered that while the precipitation had abated, the concrete outside was distinctly icy, and rather treacherous in cleats.

Saturday

Awakened at early o'clock by the Door of Freezing Loudness, I spent a good half an hour doing as much gear organising and getting changed from the relative warmth of my sleeping bag, before reluctantly engaging with the cold of the outside world.  The plan, it seemed, was to go for a bike ride.  Hardly unexpected for a group of cyclists, I suppose.  We had two loosely-defined ride plans: one to go across the moors to Whitby in search of fish'n'chips, while others chose a significantly flatter route to Saltburn and back.  Meanwhile, those who were bikeless would go for something called a 'walk'.

As preparations were made and breakfasts consumed, it became apparent that there was a Judean People's Front situation going on, with more and more people defecting to the Saltburn ride.  In the end, it turned out to be only rower40 and myself going to Whitby.  A shorter, more technical ride seemed like a good idea, seeing as I'd brought the bike that was better suited to steep climbs and off-roading.  Rower40, of course, couldn't resist the opportunity for a bit of track-bashing on the way back.

As we departed, andrewc was attending to his usual overnight rear wheel puncture.  The sky was clear and bright, and the temperature, though cold, high enough that the studded tyres were redundant.  The ride got off to a promising start, with a double-chevron climb to the summit at 250m a few kilometres into the ride.  Copious amounts of Salbutamol and the now legendary 24" gear made their first of several appearances.  The descent into Commondale was marred by cattle grids, as would most of the descents on the ride.

From Commondale, we took a bridleway route that ran parallel to the river and railway, thereby avoiding the worst of the climb back up the other side.  The surface was of a similar quality to that of the farm track approach to the camping barn: that is to say a muddy rutted track with plenty of potholes and loose stones.  Only much steeper.  We were amused by a sign stating that it was only to be used by "Walkers, cyclists, [horse] riders and wheelchair users" - it seemed unlikely that all but the most off-road of wheelchairs and tricycles would have managed it.  My soft, knobbly winter tyres coped admirably, to the point that I declared it to be perfectly sensible (and not remotely comedy) off-roading.

Rejoining the road outside Castleton for another chevron descent (with sharp bend at the bottom, to terrify those on studded tyres), then up and down several more chevrons through Danby, and down into Esk Dale for a very welcom flat section along the flood plain.  We took a brief detour at the Duck Bridge, as it looked interesting, and a 'FORD' sign suggested nothing would happen.  It was indeed an excellent steep stone arch bridge, with a rare 'no cars' sign rather than the usual 'no motor vehicles'.  The ford itself had a sturdy concrete platform about a foot above the water level, so would only function as a ford in high water.  The flow was surprisingly fast though, and we attempted a game of Speed Pooh Sticks.  Unfortunately thwarted by a tangle of branches to catch twigs underneath the platform.  While doing this, and failing to take decent photographs of the bridge, we were passed by two young children, maybe 7 and 9 years old respectively on size-appropriate ponies, or "Islahorses" as I called them.  It was refreshing to see children so young out on the roads unaccompanied like that.

Through Houlsyke and a confusing bridge *over* the railway marked with a height restriction.  Sense was made as the road doubled back and passed under the railway shortly afterwards, with a bonus chevron on the way back up.  Through Lealholm, and a fairly long, though only single-chevron climb up the other side.  My lungs were protesting and my legs went on strike about halfway up.  It was steep enough that getting going again was going to be tricky, so I opted to walk the rest.  It might be interesting to try the cycle route up and over Lealholm Moor next time, weather and tyres permitting.

With that, the bulk of the climbing was over.  A couple of down-then-up chevrons punctuated an easy section of road to Egton, where we decided it was a good place to stop at a pub for some warmth and refreshment.  From here it was nominally downhill all the way to Whitby.  The road to Aislaby made for some fantastic cycling, and indeed cyclists outnumbered motor vehicles by a healthy margin on that section.  I also noted that Aislaby features a 3-star bus shelter with toilets.

Joining the A171 slightly east of the road that I'd spent ages waiting in the freezing cold while everyone sneaked off to the cafe via a flat route on the last FNRtSR, we had a splendid view of the former railway viaduct that now carries the cycle route to Scarborough.  Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere sensible to stop to take a picture for the bridges thread.  Down into Whitby, and we arrived with a couple of hours before the next train: plenty of time to ride to the end of the pier, spot a solitary Goth and seek out Magpie's famous fish'n'chips.

Probably the best haddock and chips I've had in at least a decade, and well worth all the chevrons.

Lunch finished, we proceeded to the railway station, where I suggested that, given the short ride from Kildale station to the Barn, rower40 might make use of the conveniently located Co-op to fill his pannier with beer and the like.  That done, I obtained a ticket from the least ticket-officey ticket office I've ever been in, and we staked our claim to the platform in good time for the train.  The train arrived, and a couple of kids with BMXes got off.  Followed by a couple more kids with BMXes, then a kid with a downhill mountain bike and several more kids, each with a BMX.  This astounding feat of bike-packing reassured us, as we loaded ours into the bike space and wondered how many Bromptons you could have fitted in the same space.

The train journey back provided an alternative, and significantly flatter, view of the route we'd ridden.  At one of the many tiny stations, three extremely muddy kids with - you guessed it - BMXes and a mountain bike got on.  As the bike area was occupied by our bikes and a couple of giant Luggages, the conductor demonstrated an innovative bike-stowing strategy that went a good way to explaining the earlier miracle: he picked two of the bikes up and hung them by the saddle nose from the overhead luggage racks.  Rower40 has photos.

Arriving in Kildale shortly after lights o'clock, we rode the short route to the Barn, without really enough time to get properly cold.  We saw the silhouette of a cyclist with a drop-barred bike and decent lights on the crest of the hillock on the way out of Killdale village.  I postulated that it might have been Teethgrinder overshooting the barn.  Rower40 pointed out that if it was, we didn't have a hope in hell of catching up with him.  We also noted that someone - we suspected a work crew of Crinkly Cubs, or perhaps the farmer, had filled all the potholes on the farm track in our absence.

The Barn was - well not warm exactly, but LindaG and the Crinklies had arrived well ahead of us and put the heaters on - and not being soaking wet, I didn't get the shakes like I had on Friday.  I sorted out my gear and went for a shower before the main group returned with their own tales of chevrons and fish'n'chips.  Teethgrinder appeared a couple of hours later, citing headwind.  The rest of the evening proceeded in the usual manner, with CAKE, beverages, emergency heater fettling and singing (which is apparently what some people like to do instead of electrics).  I made a tactical early retreat to my sleeping bag, on the basis of warmth, and continued the conversation from the floor.

While using the facilities before bed, I made a back-of-the-envelope estimate that the electricity meter needed another three quid or so to last until morning.  Unfortunately, I had no pound coins on me at the time, and got distracted by a cat walking in and affectionately rubbing round my legs while I was cleaning my teeth.  She followed me all the way back to the barn, across the ice, but ran off at the noise of the door opening, by which point I'd completely forgotten about the meter.  The power failed at some point between 4 and 5am, I suppose.  The noise of fans stopping woke me up, but not enough to achieve full consciousness, and I fell asleep to dream about earth faults and circuit breakers, rather than getting up and feeding the meter.

Sunday

I awoke, freezing, at early o'clock by the lights and heaters coming back on.  There was a clattering of pans from somewhere behind me, and I decided that I should probably get up and feed myself.  You see, at some point the previous evening, someone had remarked that it was downhill all the way to York.  Further investigation in Memory Map had revealed that York via Northallerton was just short of 100km, and since I would be heading to NTR anyway, the possibility of sticking on another 55k of flat and having a successful January entry for the Metric Century Challenge was appealing.  I managed to overlook minor details like the temperature, forecast crosswind, my missing glove liners (last seen in the Whitby chipshop), lack of fitness or the fact that I'd brought entirely the wrong bike and tyres for distance.  The opportunity to load panniers into a York-bound car clinched the deal.

Feeding myself the remaining Proper Food, I sorted my stuff into bike and not-bike, and prepared to go.  Scraping the ice off my bike saddle, I was joined by rower40, loadsofbikes and a laden Wowbagger (who was joining us as far as Northallerton).  It was cold and frosty, though there was little in the way of ice on the roads.  I made the most of the studded tyres on a couple of dubious-looking patches on the way to Battersby Junction.

Things were going reasonably well until a short steep descent where I heard rower40 shouting 'Stopping!' from behind.  I assumed this meant a navigation error and climbing back up the hill, but it turned out to be a visitation.  Gears-inna-can incantations were made, and with the wheel removed, he soon located a sharp piece of metal in the tyre.  Meanwhile Wowbagger and I had a quick game of Pooh Sticks on the nearby bridge.  Wowbagger won on the second round.

Puncture repaired, we proceeded at wow-factor 1 to Northallerton, arriving at about 12:15ish, in good time for Wow's train.  We were all feeling okay, despite the cold, so decided to continue as planned, spooling up to wow-factor 1.3 as we headed out of town on the A167.  This was when the substantial extra rolling resistance of the winter tyres became apparent, and even with some gratuitous muddy wheel-sucking, my lungs started to object to the extra work, so we dialled it down a notch and decided to head to Thirsk in search of a café stop.  After rower40 had finished inspecting the railway station, we found ourselves in a pub with a lovely warm fire, but not much in the way of food, other than the Sunday carvery.  Still, it was worthwhile to warm up and rehydrate.  We set off with all of about 45km to go - we were doing okay, should be a couple of hours at the current pace.

We blatted down the A167 as far as Topcliffe, at which point the weather took a turn for the worse, with freezing rain.  The temperature hadn't really got above 3C, and the added cooling effect of being wet made the next 30k much harder work.  This wasn't helped by the rest of the route being on mildly undulating C-roads - the kind where there isn't enough elevation change to do much more than sap your energy on the 'up's.  I was also starting to suffer from Upwrong Syndrome, with pain in my wrists, shoulders, neck and saddle area.  My fingers were as numb from carpal tunnel as they were from cold.  Boabwords were uttered at every minor incline.  The knees and lungs, however, were doing surprisingly well.

Although the rain stopped, the ride continued in a slow and fairly miserable manner to about Shipton - it was, after all, hardly worth bailing out with less than 30km to go.  At one point we stopped in a field entrance to Just Stop Pedalling for a couple of minutes, and I noticed a rotting bananana skin and a Frijj bottle.  This is the sort of thing that sounds much less hilarious when you weren't actually there.

I applied Harsh Language to my digestive system, while rower40 lured us onto a Sustrans route.  I expressed a lack of enthusiasm for slow, convoluted routes that would abandon us in a mudbath several miles further away from our destination, and that the A19 can't be that bad really, even if the cycle route went past the river *and* the railway.  Fortunately, it turned out to be a reasonably good one, and took a nice direct route into town with only an assortment of deadly miniature cattle-grids to negotiate.  Once within spitting distance of the railway station, I set the Garmin for the Crinkly Den, and we took a reasonably sensible road route across town.

Arriving at the Den, CrinklyLion and co provided CAKE and radiators, while rower40 transferred the rest of his things to the panniers and set a course for the station for the next train to Edinburgh.  My train out of York wasn't for several hours, so I had plenty of time to warm up under a convenient cat while discussing the effects of centrifugal force in air crash situations with EldestCub.  With 103km I'd got January's metric century in the bag, though I'm not entirely sure it was worth it.

The train home was uneventful, with one other cyclist (a stereotypical greasy anorak-wearing type with a quantum optics textbook to read) sharing the dangly bike spaces.  I somehow had enough legs left to ride home from Mordor Central, before warming up in a Proper Shower, eating an unreasonable amount of cheese and collapsing in bed until Monday afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for an entertaining, if somewhat chilly, weekend.  I suggest a return to the Kildale barn some time when it's warm...

ETA: Yes, it's taken until now to get the feeling back in my fingers in order to do this much typing.

« Reply #559 on: 31 January, 2012, 06:59:11 pm »
I feel shivery just reading that, Kim...brrrr....

I don't think my incredibly-poor-verging-on-Reynaud's circulation would have dealt with this weekend very well, somehow....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #560 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »
It wasn't really cold.  Not as cold as camping at Bradley a couple of weeks back.  Or even the FYBO. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #561 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »
It wasn't really cold.  Not as cold as camping at Bradley a couple of weeks back.  Or even the FYBO. :)

Pfft, FYBO...I'd like to keep all my bits, thanks!  ;D

« Reply #562 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »
I was comfortable enough in my fleece trousers :smug:    Wearing another pair at the moment, they are great for lounging in, and help keep the fuel bills down.

On the Saturday night I had to take my hat off and undo the sleeping bags hood as I was too warm in the tent!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #563 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:21:39 pm »
Thanks  Kim.I really enjoyed reading that.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #564 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

One Kim, having completed 100km on an upwrong shod with winters.  In January.  With added kitteh.

Nutter :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #565 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:28:25 pm »
I agree that it wasn't that cold most of the time.  Surprisingly warm on the bike, thanks to ridiculous amounts of layers.  It was mostly when I'd stopped riding (and was therefore wet), was just out of the shower (and was therefore wet) or asleep (with associated low blood pressure etc).  The heaters being off for several hours at freezing o'clock in the morning really didn't help, though.  It should be said that the overnight temperature in the barn wasn't quite low enough to set my asthma off.

My fingers suffered neurological numbness due to too many miles on a suboptimal design of bicycle rather than cold.  It was my toes that were frozen, in spite of several pairs of socks.

« Reply #566 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:36:23 pm »

One Kim, having completed 100km on an upwrong shod with winters.  In January. 

Nutter :) max

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #567 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:41:11 pm »
One Kim, having completed 100km on an upwrong shod with winters.  In January.  With added kitteh.

I hasten to point out that I didn't have the kitteh with me on the ride.  For which I'm sure she's extremely grateful.

It occurs to me that it would be much less nuts to have done the same, complete with studded tyres, in June.  There's something not quite right about that.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #568 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »
Tip top report.

This bit:
and I fell asleep to dream about earth faults and circuit breakers, rather than getting up and feeding the meter.

Is pure class.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #569 on: 31 January, 2012, 07:56:40 pm »
Wow, what epic tales of what must have been a wonderful weekend.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #570 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »
'Twas indeed an epic tale of epic feats.

My northbound train was colder, if possible, than the barn; likely to be over-enthusiastic air-conditioning.  I disembarked at Waverley, shivering.  Riding to my hotel in Haymarket was confuzled by the interminable tram-related road closures, so I was on pavement for almost the entire mile-anna-half.  But at 8pm on a Sunday night, I tried not to inconvenience too many pedestrians.

Then a hot bath.  Bliss.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #571 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:34:14 pm »
Great report Kim!
I spent an interesting couple of hours this morning mobi washing vast quantities of Yorkshireland from the Miggins and Loads velocopeeds. All lubed up and ready for the next adventure!

« Reply #572 on: 01 February, 2012, 09:28:11 am »
Thanks all for your warmly welcoming words.  My first tour with the forum couldn't have been better - despite the cold barn!! Everyone really friendly and interesting.  The weekend had so many positive elements;  from fire fettling, singing, local tour, fish and chips, to meeting and making new friends.  Thanks to those who organised it all and thanks for the many, many cups of tea back in York, Crinkly!  Very much looking forward to the next tour.  Ride safe everyone!

« Reply #573 on: 01 February, 2012, 07:40:29 pm »
Excellent write up Kim. I have just read the latest CTC mag which is a tad thin this edition. They don't know what they are missing in you lot. Ps how many miles did we do to the sea side and back?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #574 on: 01 February, 2012, 11:33:14 pm »
I made Saturday's ride to Saltburn 34.69 miles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.