Author Topic: varifocal issues  (Read 1162 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
varifocal issues
« on: 17 October, 2022, 04:15:39 pm »
I have been trying to get a new set of glasses.  This is my third attempt. For some reason even after 3 days of wearing them, the left eye aches very slightly and the right one goes into a slight twitch by the end of the day.  I have no idea and cannot understand why the opticians cannot get it right.

What could they possibly be getting wrong? Pupil distance or something else?

thanks

sam

Re: varifocal issues
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2022, 04:36:37 pm »
Have you worn varifocals before?

I was told it could take two weeks to adjust.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2022, 04:39:22 pm »
Yes for the last 8 years, never had this problem before. I had another set made locally via work and those are fine

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:09:04 pm »
Lenses need to be accurately centred and aligned with the optical axis of the eye.

Varifocals have multiple TINY optical 'sweet spots'. These effectively get smaller with increasing lens strength.

Suspect you need somebody to check centring and alignment with a degree of obsession.

« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:25:32 pm »
What helly said.

I think that a common issue is the glasses moving down from the position they were in when the measurements were taken.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:27:00 pm »
Another factor is lens depth top to bottom. The less it is, the harder to get the sweet spot right.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:43:51 pm »
It was a nightmare trying to get big enough lenses for varifocals when the fashion was for very shallow glasses (possibly the fault of some female newsreader whose name I can't remember).
I like my glasses to stay in one place on my face, so I insist the dispenser bends the arms into an old-fashioned hockey stick shape before they mark up the lenses.

Expecting fun and games when I get a new prescription in a few weeks - after two cataract operations.
I now realise that it is not in the optician's interest to refer customers in good time for cataract surgery, after which they might not need such a complicated (expensive) prescription. It's more profitable to keep saying you just need a new prescription.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2022, 07:01:54 pm »
Another factor is lens depth top to bottom. The less it is, the harder to get the sweet spot right.

Which is why Mel Kirkland, son of an optician, has frames with HUGE lenses...

velosam

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2022, 08:42:48 pm »
My lens are large.  Maybe the optician needs to be more obsessed. To be honest the smaller lens have less of an issue