Author Topic: Double Sleeping Bags  (Read 6215 times)

Double Sleeping Bags
« on: 05 May, 2010, 02:33:58 pm »
Following on from our first foray into camping* (car based) for about 30 years we have decided to go again later this month.  Our 30 year old sleeping bags, which while adequate, could do with being replaced.  What things should we be looking for in a sleeping bag?  Is a double, as opposed to two singles zipped together, a better bet?  I very much doubt that we will be undetaking any more than 2 and 2 half season camping and being car based can easily take an additional layer (blanket/quilt).

Thanks

Russell

* The weather was not good - well below seasonable temperature and high winds so to the decision to go again is 'interesting'!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Double Sleeping Bags
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:37:19 pm »
Butterfly is the expert on this one.  We've tried several solutions, but it's a virtually untapped market, and the ideal solution still evades.  I couldn't imagine camping with a loved one, then going to sleep in separate bags :(  It's just Not Right.

Even when you approach an answer to the sleeping bag issue, sleeping mats become an issue *sigh*

Getting there...

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:39:39 pm »
I use the sleeping bags from Blacks - you get left and right ones and they are great. handy when you camp solo and handy when you need to sleep together. the double ones i've seen are really big.
"quad" is the name i recall.
are Blacks still going i wonder?
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »
We have a 'camper double' which is pretty good although definitely 2 season for me - I'm a cold person. I find that more comfortable than 2 zipped together as it has a bit which stops the pillows escaping. For cycle camping we use either a single XXL mountain warehouse bag with 2 bag extenders from millets or 2 rab down mummy bags zipped together if it is really cold. I think the camper double might be an Outwell, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:48:25 pm »
Julian and I bought matching bags a couple of years ago.  The zips are compatible and on different sides, so she has a RHS one and I have a LHS one.  Many brands have a convention that the smaller, girly sleeping bags have their zips one one side and the bigger, blokier ones have their zips on the other.  Not a problem if you're a mismatched couple but could be annoying for two smaller women wishing to zip up together.

Mind you, as Clarion says, it's not the bags that's the problem.  Finding two mats that you can join together (or carrying a huuuge inflatable double) is harder.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »
We've just ordered a Synmat DLX, which should be big enough (I may be chunky, but Butterfly is small, and we're quite friendly. ;) )

Linking two Downmats was OK, but they pull apart, leaving a gap in between, where you lie on fastex buckles & get cold :(
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:54:52 pm »
(or carrying a huuuge inflatable double)

We have an inflatable Coleman double mattress that has two separate chambers.  Very good it is too.  Buy from Millets as they are half price now.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2010, 02:55:02 pm »
I can't think of anything less restful than sleeping two-up in a sleeping bag.

Then again, I prefer to have my own bed (and bedroom) at home as well.

Tim

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »
For car based camping take a double air bed. Use a normal mains pump and get a converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to give you mains for all your power needs. There is no point in taking mats when you can have much greater comfiness.

Just remember to inflate it in the tent as you'll never get it through your flaps when it's hard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
We've been using a variety of airbeds over the last year or so.  There's a fine line between being so wide it touches the tent walls and the poitn where one of you keeps falling off ;D

We've used a Cyclaire pump, which died over the course of a tour, and was very loud, and, latterly, a 4xD cell pump, which is heavy, but works well.  If you use your pump to suck the air out as you fold, airbeds pack surprisingly small.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:23:08 pm »
Most decent quality sleeping bags come in left hand and right hand zip options.   We have two matched pairs of Snugpak bags, one pair lightweight, one pair heavier.   Stoker gets colder than I do so we can in theory match a lighter bag with a heavier but to date we've never tried this.

We also use Exped Downmat 7's and don't seem to suffer too much mat creep at all.  Thermarests were both uncomfortable and very 'mobile' during the night.  As a consequence we have a pair 'gathering dust'.   :(

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:32:35 pm »
I've zipped singles together many times. You need to ensure that you buy two bags which are the same, but specify one left zip and one right zip.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »
Problem with zipping two bags together is the zip down the middle underneath, which can be very uncomfortable if you're snuggled together.  I recommend using bags with a very good baffle.  Check it carefully.  Even then, it's a bit odd having separate footboxes.  Esp when your sleeping partner has colder feet and wishes to borrow your warmth ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »
I've zipped singles together many times. You need to ensure that you buy two bags which are the same, but specify one left zip and one right zip.

Our current bags are identical (zip on the side and across the bottom) and end up as an upper and a lower as opposed to the left/right that has been mentioned.

it's a bit odd having separate footboxes.

Not sure I understand this?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:40:56 pm »
I'm talking about 'mummy' bags.  You've obviously got the trad rectangular type, whic does get round the zip problem, but aren't so warm.  Our big bag is effectively like two trad ones opened out & zipped together.  Sometimes we use our XXL bag inside that.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:42:46 pm »
Sorry - but the idea of sharing a sleeping bag makes me shudder.

It's bad enough when Mr R* insists on sharing a bed...  :-X

*He snores as badly as I do - but even worse, he farts non-stop when he's asleep.  :sick:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2010, 03:43:40 pm »
Keeps the bed warm, then? ;)

Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:16:00 pm »
Cor, there's barely enough room for me in a mummy bag, I can't imagine joining two together can work very well...

Natalya isn't very lightweight-camping-compatible, though, so on the few occasions we've shared a tent it's been with a car to carry all the stuff, and therefore a pair of nice thick cheapo rectangular sleeping bags and a double airbed do the job fine.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:25:03 pm »
Cor, there's barely enough room for me in a mummy bag, I can't imagine joining two together can work very well...

Depends how wriggly you are when you're asleep.  When it's bloody cold, sleeping in the same bag as someone else is fabulous for sharing body heat.  It helps if you're in a relationship with them, though  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:28:05 pm »
Well, I suspect you would be in a relationship by the morning ;)
Getting there...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »
A couple of years back there was a programme following some intrepid noobies who were thrown into the deep end of deep deep deep adventure racing involving snow, ice, bikes, kayaks, whatever.

London girlie was put into a team with three nordic nutters. The scene where they explained that they used double sleeping bags and would 'take turns' with her was a classic!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:46:16 pm »
Depends how wriggly you are when you're asleep.  When it's bloody cold, sleeping in the same bag as someone else is fabulous for sharing body heat.  It helps if you're in a relationship with them, though  :)

I'm wriggly, she's got sharp bony bits.  Not a good combination in a confined space.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:55:45 pm »
For car based camping take a double air bed. Use a normal mains pump and get a converter that plugs into the cigarette lighter to give you mains for all your power needs. There is no point in taking mats when you can have much greater comfiness.

Just remember to inflate it in the tent as you'll never get it through your flaps when it's hard.

I always find it difficult to get it through the flaps when it's hard.

Do you have any other useful advice?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #23 on: 08 May, 2010, 05:09:32 pm »
Mrs C and I use two single airbeds with a fitted double sheet joining them together, then our usual domestic duvet and pillows.  We also have a 'fleecy' (in that it looks a bit like sheepskin, not micro-fleece) fitted sheet which goes under the domestic one. 
Advantages.  When she gets up in the night, I don't hit the ground!  You don't get the gap which tends to happen when you join two sleeping bags together.  You can inflate the airbeds outside the tent.

Disadvantage.  Takes up a lot of room, but we have a Kangoo, so space isn't really a problem.

The problem with joining two bags together is that the open area at the top is 4 times the size of a single one.  My parents gave up zipping their sleeping bags together as it was just too cold (these were the rectangular sort, not mummy style).

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:21:30 pm »
We used our two RABs together on the Synmat DLX on Friday night.  It was too big, and we'll be better when the weather warms up and we're using the single bag.

btw, the DLX mat is wide enough for two if you're friends, but I recommend keeping it a bit soft. I put too much air in, and it was too firm.
Getting there...