Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 288530 times)

Chris S

Rainbows have been visible from the office window every day this week, usually double rainbows.

How much gold did you find?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Rainbows have been visible from the office window every day this week, usually double rainbows.

How much gold did you find?

Rainbow as I drove up the A3 near Guildford earlier in the week in a sharp shower.  What was odd as that the end was just on the central reservation, right by my car. 

(I guess it was a bonus rainbow caused by the sun refracting in the spray.)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
The B1228 was Distinctly Unpleasant on the way home, what with the shocking surface, the close overtakes by gurt big feck off trucks, the stinging sleet, the bastard headwinds on some bits and the alarming gusts of crosswinds on other bits attempting to send me under the wheels of said gurt big feck off trucks.

Tomorrow's forecast around here is heavy rain all day, with added strong gusts at lunchtime.   Looks like any ride will be squeezed to Sun pm...  :-\
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Late night dog walk.

13°C.

Dry, mostly clear sky.

WSW breeze, 15 - 20mph.

Dun Run anyone?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Dun Run anyone?

Nahh, it'll piss it down at snooze on the beach o'clock.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Nope! Looking good for Southwold. There might be an hour or two in Sudbury at between 3 and 4 am. That's normally before I get there!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I heard a suggestion that yesterday was the warmest December day ever recorded in the UK in terms of the minimum recorded temperature at any of the official weather stations. Yesterday for us was warm at 10.2°C, but there have been lots of higher minimum temperatures this month.

The lowest temperature my device has recorded so far this month is 5.1°C. That's ridiculous. Today, the maximum was 16.4°C, the highest of the month so far.

I have a recollection of a Christmas Day a little over 20 years ago when the temperature in my parents' garden in Ramsden Heath (Essex) exceeded that. My memory says 64°F but I have no accurate record of it. I do remember it being very sunny and I spent some of Christmas morning watching my bees flying out of the hive and coming back with their legs laden in pollen. I know they were visiting ornamental heather that my mother had planted and that was flowering.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Ok, now that we have passed the solstice (about 1 hour 20 minutes ago) the weather can start to get colder. Bloody windy outside again. God yul!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
As in God yul need yur furry hat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

And gloves 😀
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It was between 8 and 9 C on Sunday early evening, which isn't objectively that warm, but it felt incredibly warm. Don't know if that's because my body is expecting colder due to short days setting off some circadian wotsit or because of the humidity or even air pressure or I don't know what. Lack of wind seems the most likely. And is the oddest, compared to the last couple of years.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Weirdly, Dez and I were remarking how cold 9°C seemed after the recent balmy 14s & 15s. Mind you, it's 15°C again today.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Looking at my records, dating back 5 years, shows this to be the warmest December by a massive amount.

Mean Dec temperatures, 2011-15: 7.2, 6.0, 7.4, 6.5, 11.1.

We took delivery of the weather station 5 years ago today and December 2010 was much colder than any of those. The 10 days I recorded averaged 3.2°C but the preceding 3 weeks were much colder. We had a heavy snowfall about a fortnight before Christmas and the temperature struggled to get above freezing until Boxing Day or thereabouts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Also:

Maximum temperature of 10.4°C today. First time over 10° since November.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Just now was the first time in the history of all things ever that I have heard a BBC weather forecaster acknowledge the existence of another country.  It seems that Storm Eva will pass to the north of the Republic of Ireland.  I do not know whether to celebrate the broadcaster's new-found multiculturalism or denounce Tomasz Schafernaker as a BLASPHEMER.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Yr.no claims gale for the next few hours - that'll be pretty feckin' windy then  :-X

mcshroom

• Mushroom
At least yours tails off in the morning. We've got Gales or near-gales all the way through to 8pm :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

I suspect yr.no use the official definitions in the Beaufort scale for their English language descriptions of wind speeds. On that, 'breeze' of one sort or another goes up to force 6, with force 7 being 'near gale'. There are folk songs which mention a 'sweet and pleasant gale' when sailing so the words may have changed meaning slightly over the years.

0Calm
1Light Air
2Light Breeze
3Gentle Breeze
4Moderate Breeze
5Fresh Breeze
6Strong Breeze
7Near Gale
8Gale
9Strong Gale
10Storm
11Violent Storm
12Hurricane Force
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
"Red" weather warning issued for Lancashire. At least one building has been undermined by the Irwell in Summerseat.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Looking at my records, dating back 5 years, shows this to be the warmest December by a massive amount.

Mean Dec temperatures, 2011-15: 7.2, 6.0, 7.4, 6.5, 11.1.

We took delivery of the weather station 5 years ago today and December 2010 was much colder than any of those. The 10 days I recorded averaged 3.2°C but the preceding 3 weeks were much colder. We had a heavy snowfall about a fortnight before Christmas and the temperature struggled to get above freezing until Boxing Day or thereabouts.

my rough weather recording. ie not Stevenson screen standards, indicates that Dec 2015 average maxm is an incredible  10c higher than that of 2010; we`ve had just 2 x ground frost this Dec cf over 20 airfrost days in 2010; most days in Dec 2010 never got above 3 c maxm here often hovering just around zero. Boxing day 2010 was a balmy -12c ---it reached 12.9 c this year .
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

A little damp in York. A friend was getting flooded so I brought my canoe downriver to lend to her. She has nearly 4ft of water through her house. Another friend has been evacuated from her flat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

A little damp in York. A friend was getting flooded so I brought my canoe downriver to lend to her. She has nearly 4ft of water through her house. Another friend has been evacuated from her flat.

Not nearly as bad as year 2k tho'.  Despite the Meeja making a drama out of a crisis.  No sailing on the Knavesmire, yet.
Move Faster and Bake Things

I took this under Skeldergate Bridge a couple of weeks ago - I imagine the bench is underwater now.

nicknack

• Hornblower
There's daffs out here.
There's no vibrations, but wait.