Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 288634 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Lots of people in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles wrapped up as for an overland trek to the East South Pole.  Because BST has ended, yeh, so it must be winter innit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

It is winter. We had the first snow on the Carneddau yesterday afternoon. Slightly lower down it just pissed with rain all day. I'm not looking forward to the forecast 50mph winds later. I might have to turn my heating on.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Our mogs have got cabin fever from not going out in this weather. They've been doing the wall of death round the house instead.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Our mogs have got cabin fever from not going out in this weather. They've been doing the wall of death round the house instead.

My cats are rather more elderly, so are mostly happy to sleep all day on the heat pad. Except Krishna, who shouts* at the back door until I open it. He looks out at the pissing rain, gives me the "that's unacceptable" look, and doesn't go out. I close the door and he starts shouting at me/the door again. I'll open it and he does the "why is this still the unacceptable outside?" look at me. The answer to this is that I have a regular door, not the door to fucking Narnia.

* it's a Bengal thing. They don't meow, they shout. I've had work colleagues ask me if he's standing on my computer during Teams calls - he's 2 rooms away

ian

Ours are stupid, they go out and sit in their cat house and watch the rain. Getting wet in the process.

Alas, they don't like wet ground, so they're using the litter tray for their smelly business.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I've pondered getting a cat house but I'm pretty sure if I bought/made one it would be ignored.

It is unseasonably warm - 12-14C instead of 8-10C.

So that should be good, right?

Also unreasonably windy and wet. Yeah, it is normally windy up here. But not 60mph winds several times a week in Nov. That's Jan/Feb weather.

Being a southerly, the wind is blowing the water UP the barn roof, were it is coming in via the ridgeline.

People who were born here are fed up and grumbling. Everything is saturated. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
I'm heading up your way in 10 days time, hoping it won't be blowing a hoolie every day...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
16°C here at present. Minimum 31.1°C overnight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It is unseasonably warm - 12-14C instead of 8-10C.

[...]

Everything is saturated.

This is the current state of our landlord-quality bathroom.  Not enough central heating to dry it out properly.

I'm heading up your way in 10 days time, hoping it won't be blowing a hoolie every day...

Are you thinking of catching a ferry?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)

Are you thinking of catching a ferry?
No! For winter visits we fly, so it's Loganair for us, Inverness to Benbecula going out, back to Glasgow. It's also quite tricky to get to a ferry to go to north uist by public transport, whereas the flights work reasonably with sleeper trains from London.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Feckin' strong winds. Never happened in 21 years of life in Stornoway because there were no trees!

IMG_20221111_093805_919 by ian, on Flickr

:(

Bloody wind.

I actually don't really mind the wind over winter.

Combined with heavy rain, it gets a bit much. We had over 30mm yesterday and it is wetter today.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Feckin' strong winds. Never happened in 21 years of life in Stornoway because there were no trees!

Oops. That looks a bit dented.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
16°C here at present. Minimum 31.1°C overnight.

Crikey!  Has someone transported Saarrffend to Arizona  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Shit. A juxtaposition typo preserved for all time.

Meanwhile

https://www.independent.co.uk/weather/uk-weather-snow-winter-november-b2223007.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3QjxOnpCjoGQ7XHX-uOm1nP8b-Lk34tfKtD_adMx7RjNiHCChJ6E5CasE#Echobox=1668181056

there’s a totally misleading headline warning of snow when the rest of the article says pretty well the opposite.

Bright and sunny in the Kingdom of Harrogate yesterday; today - the day we'd planned some allotment rummaging - it's dismal and misty. Pain in th'arse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded

>:(

and the ridge has lifted on the cottage.  >:(
It is simpler than it looks.

Yesterday (Sat) the met office reckoned would be dry with sunny intervals, while Sunday would be fog all day.
So I changed plans and went for a ride yesterday - in dull overcast conditions with heavy black clouds.
Today (Sunday) the Met office still thinks it is thick fog all day.
Since sunrise we have had clear blue skies and bright sunshine and no sign of any change.
There are advantages to living nearer the sun!

Here in Leafy Bucks we’ve had two glorious warm and sunny days with light winds. That looks likely to change tomorrow with daytime temps down 6 or 7 degrees, and a strong likelihood of several frosts next (as opposed to this) week. Glad I finally got the winter tyres on the car.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I had a swim in the sea yesterday afternoon. Air temperature about 17°C, water allegedly 14°C. It was lovely and my pal and I stayed in about 20 minutes.

Last night, there was fog, and my pal Penelope reported that at her place, only a short distance from the beach and hardly above sea level, that it was of pea souper quality. Much less dense a mile inland and at the dizzy heights of about 25 metres, but here nonetheless. Jan and I went for a walk earlier and fount the first snowdrop in flower.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Just got back from Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Natch the sun has chosen this very moment to break through the murk :(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
There seems to be some sort of national shortage of the old hectopascals going on.  I blame brexit; they are, after all, a French invention.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
At least the sun came out when I took the Fast-Appreciating Future Classic to the doctor for its new front tyres and subsequent replacing of piles of crap back in the boot.