Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 287949 times)

Our weather warning got cancelled, although we should not try to reach other parts of the country.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Reasonably dry and calm in teh Wets of England (not to be confused with teh Wets Country).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Mildly damp in the Wet Midlands.

Rating again in Bucks, somewhat desultorily. Managed to get the washing out for 4 hour# though, and it felt pleasantly warm even though it barely reached 15C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Need to go out in a bit.  Jacket or no jacket - that is the question.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
It actually stopped raining at exactly the time I realised I had no lemons for my cake, so I escaped for an energy lemon purchase.
Good job I didn't need anything else as the fruit & veg aisle was mostly empty.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/21/storm-babet-forest-floor-video-mugdock-stirlingshire-scotland

Video of the ground lifting and falling like waves. The dog seems strangely unconcerned.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Descent into Madrid on Thursday was hairy, return on Friday was just tediously late.

Just seen footage of Derby, I used to live in Castle Donington, that's a big river with a lot of flood plain before Central Derby gets that bad.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67183850

Drill rig downmanned, all safe though, thank <DEITY> or substitute
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Weather seems to be calming down now. That was enough for a while...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67183850

Drill rig downmanned, all safe though, thank <DEITY> or substitute
It wuz that Greta Thunberg wot did it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

After yesterdays balmy 14C, overnight (well early morning)it was down to 2.5C. Vary calm day too, not great for clothes drying but “they’ll smell nice” says my wife. Which is true.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
I figured it would be a hot minute before armchair experts (NOTP but elsewhere) starting blaming the lack of dredging.

That has been a very stressful few days here in Babet Central, and I have never been so glad to see the sun.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I think I'll postpone the Sainsbo's delivery from Tuesday to Wednesday to give them a bit of a chance for the groceries to actually get up here with the dual cabbage way being closed.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Much to the distress of the animals, I've not turned the heating up past 16C (which means my office is about 18 at warmest in afternoon). Most of the time it is set to 15C.

Last night, exterior temps dropped to 2C, coldest so far this autumn. Heating fired in the morning.

It is really warm in the sunshine now, so much so that I've ditched my thick woolly jumper in the office. 16C downstairs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Ditto, except no heating, just log burner. Just looked at the forecast, not a lot of sun later in the week, but plenty of cold. c50 miles from mrc
It is simpler than it looks.

No weather here today.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Rain, dawn to dusk.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Glad of my waxed cotton coat this morning.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
No jumper required when I went out to Democracy at lunchtime.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Wet & windy.  A wee bit of a let-up due tomorrow, but forecast only 40% reliable.  Most of next week to be the same.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
I've pulled out of a house purchase. It had a lot going for it, but I just couldn't overlook the eruption of sewage on the driveway.

It's like this: we were approaching the point of agreeing exchange/completion dates when the heavy rain landed last weekend. The property has been empty for a while (sons selling on behalf of owner's estate). It's at the bottom of several hills in Belper. On Saturday I thought I'd just see if it had been affected by the rain.

There was no flooding, but the driveway was covered in what I first thought was litter but which, as I got closer, was clearly toilet paper and poo. I mentioned it to my conveyancer who raised it with the sellers, whose solicitor replied:

From previous attendances to the property by ST in addition to the nature of the issue that had been presenting over the past approx. 2 days is diagnosed as Hydraulic overload. Hydraulic overload is when heavy rainfall occurs at a capacity which exceeds the capacity of the surface water drainage sewerage line, this then causes the excess water to flood out of the nearest point of access e.g drains and manholes etc. Hydraulic overload is caused primarily by environmental factors being heavy rainfall and is not directly correlated with their being an issue with the property's sewerage network, the mains sewerage line or the properties connection to that network. Another contributing factor to this issue would population density in proportion to the sewerage network capacity.

When looking at the contact history associated with this property in question only 2 attendances from SevernTrent are recorded in which the attending engineer(s) state that the issue of flooding out from the drain located within the front of the property was diagnosed to be down to hydraulic overload and no issues originating from the property itself. In addition to this when having previously attended for hydraulic overload investigations a cctv survey was carried which had yielded that there were/are no sewerage defects associated with the property or with the mains sewerage line.

Only 2 previous attendances?

Only 2 (recorded) previous incidents of other people's poo all over the driveway?

Oh well, why didn't you say? That's just fine, that is. Just the 2. Lovely.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

From previous attendances to the property by ST in addition to the nature of the issue that had been presenting over the past approx. 2 days is diagnosed as Hydraulic overload. Hydraulic overload is when heavy rainfall occurs at a capacity which exceeds the capacity of the surface water drainage sewerage line, this then causes the excess water to flood out of the nearest point of access e.g drains and manholes etc. Hydraulic overload is caused primarily by environmental factors being heavy rainfall and is not directly correlated with their being an issue with the property's sewerage network, the mains sewerage line or the properties connection to that network. Another contributing factor to this issue would population density in proportion to the sewerage network capacity.

When looking at the contact history associated with this property in question only 2 attendances from SevernTrent are recorded in which the attending engineer(s) state that the issue of flooding out from the drain located within the front of the property was diagnosed to be down to hydraulic overload and no issues originating from the property itself. In addition to this when having previously attended for hydraulic overload investigations a cctv survey was carried which had yielded that there were/are no sewerage defects associated with the property or with the mains sewerage line

That's a horribly badly written statement. "Their being an issue" is only the most blatant example (and not the most important).

Anyway, lucky you discovered this before exchanging.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've pulled out of a house purchase. It had a lot going for it, but I just couldn't overlook the eruption of sewage on the driveway.

It's like this: we were approaching the point of agreeing exchange/completion dates when the heavy rain landed last weekend. The property has been empty for a while (sons selling on behalf of owner's estate). It's at the bottom of several hills in Belper. On Saturday I thought I'd just see if it had been affected by the rain.

There was no flooding, but the driveway was covered in what I first thought was litter but which, as I got closer, was clearly toilet paper and poo. I mentioned it to my conveyancer who raised it with the sellers, whose solicitor replied:

When looking at the contact history associated with this property in question only 2 attendances from SevernTrent are recorded in which the attending engineer(s) state that the issue of flooding out from the drain located within the front of the property was diagnosed to be down to hydraulic overload and no issues originating from the property itself. In addition to this when having previously attended for hydraulic overload investigations a cctv survey was carried which had yielded that there were/are no sewerage defects associated with the property or with the mains sewerage line.

Only 2 previous attendances?

Only 2 (recorded) previous incidents of other people's poo all over the driveway?

Oh well, why didn't you say? That's just fine, that is. Just the 2. Lovely.

Yeah, Number 1 and Number 2.  The manhole in our street does this very occasionally but it takes very heavy rain to do it and so far no solids have emerged. Last time was 4 years ago.  Non-trivial fix, I'd expect.