Author Topic: Slide Scanners  (Read 1097 times)

Slide Scanners
« on: 20 April, 2009, 11:26:53 am »

Bottom end of the market but any good?

Ion Film and Slide Scanner > Maplin

Any recommendations?

Raph

Re: Slide Scanners
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2009, 09:39:16 pm »
If you don't need the A4 function then that looks excellent. It would be useful to know what the DPIs are - sadly in the "technical spec" they don't give the most relevant statistic... unless it's somewhere else on the page and I've missed it. The fact that it's so small is great.

I got something modestly called the Epson Perfection 4490 Photo for £99 from Jessops, does the job really well and does normal A4 scanning too. it's simply an A4 scanner but with good enough resolution for slides. The resolution is better than necessary for any of the pics I've put through it, which were all taken with various Nikons and Hasselblads. If you zoom in you see the grain of the film long before the pixilation. If the Ion has that good a resolution then I'd say go for it.

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2009, 08:07:20 am »

Don't need the A4 function so will try calling in to Maplins.

Thanks

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2009, 04:58:43 pm »

Don't need the A4 function so will try calling in to Maplins.

Thanks

Two comments ... the same thing has been sold for <£50 in some mag ads and on ebay (have to say I always find Maplins expensive) ... and I would check the speed of processing .. some of these gadgets are slooooooow - it's not "put the slide in, press the button, done" ... it takes its time.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2009, 05:15:12 pm »
It looks like a rebranded Veho slide scanner. Do a search, the user reviews aren't exactly glowing.

At that kind of price I reckon you'd do better with an Epson v300, or like Raph says a 4490 if you can get hold of one cheap.