Author Topic: County Cricket 2024  (Read 5507 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: County Cricket 2024
« Reply #125 on: 05 May, 2024, 04:51:04 pm »
Whoops - Lancs seem to be digging in well. Kent will need to bat with circumspection tomorrow, given that the Lancs lead is now 151 and they still have 3 wickets left. Both the not-out batsmen are well-set, being on 57 and 25 respectively.

3 quick wickets.  Kent need 164 to win.  Will probably be a nerve-wracking finish tomorrow.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #126 on: 05 May, 2024, 04:54:31 pm »
Ha! Must have been my fault, that! ;)

Kent have a fairly tricky hour or so to face tonight.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #127 on: 05 May, 2024, 05:04:28 pm »
And lose Zak Crawley on his second ball.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #128 on: 05 May, 2024, 06:45:08 pm »
Looking good for Kent now - 93 needed with 9 wickets left.

« Reply #129 on: 05 May, 2024, 08:29:59 pm »
At least Lancashire have put up a fight.  I do hope the division continues to be this interesting.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #130 on: 06 May, 2024, 11:35:37 am »
I reckon Kent are pleased they are playing in Old Trafford rather than Canterbury because the latter is going to be Very Wet this afternoon, according to those writers of fiction at the Met Office.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #131 on: 06 May, 2024, 12:55:23 pm »
Kent made it look pretty easy in the end, winning by 7 wickets.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #132 on: 06 May, 2024, 05:43:59 pm »
Not Much Happening Elsewhere drew my attention to the Yorkshire v Glamorgan match. Yorkshire notched up a massive first innings total thanks largely to the Vegetables. Bean scored 173 and Root 156. In the end the rain came and assisted Glamorgan's rearguard action, which had probably done enough to ensure a draw anyway.

Joe Root's brother Billy plays for Glamorgan. I do hope they have a sister named Beatrice.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #133 on: 07 May, 2024, 10:24:32 am »
Apparently it was Kent's first win at Old Trafford this century.

« Reply #134 on: 07 May, 2024, 12:45:18 pm »
Not Much Happening Elsewhere drew my attention to the Yorkshire v Glamorgan match. Yorkshire notched up a massive first innings total thanks largely to the Vegetables. Bean scored 173 and Root 156. In the end the rain came and assisted Glamorgan's rearguard action, which had probably done enough to ensure a draw anyway.

Joe Root's brother Billy plays for Glamorgan. I do hope they have a sister named Beatrice.

Beet, rice and roots - wok an opportunity for a stir-fry!  Nice one, Wow!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #135 on: 07 May, 2024, 02:24:53 pm »
No-one seems to publish the batting and bowling averages any more. They used to be regular features in daily papers.

Glamorgan's Sam Northeast must be top of the batting, having scored 335no and 173no so far. I assume he must have lost his wicket at some point this season.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #136 on: 10 May, 2024, 07:42:36 pm »
A day for batting today, it seems. Warks recovered well against Surrey and were 318-8 at the close, having been 167-6 at one point.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #137 on: 11 May, 2024, 04:48:50 pm »
Crikey! Worcestershire's pair put on 225 for the 8th wicket - that never fell because they declared teh innings closed at 618-7. 123no and 100no for Holder & Waite respectively.

« Reply #138 on: 11 May, 2024, 06:54:44 pm »
Yes - if Worcester's 8 and 9 can score centuries on Kent's pitch, it doesn't look good for Kent's bowlers.

I feel very pleased for Nottingham opener Hameed.  Several years ago the Bolton boy was featured (as a 19 year-old, I think) in one of the broadsheet colour mags as a star already made.  Soon he was in the Test team, when almost immediately his career nosedived faster than someone featured in the Radio Times and he had to leave Lancashire for Nottingham to recover it.  Well done!

And Hameed has "carried his bat" for 247 not out, against his old team.  Boys' Own stuff.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #139 on: 12 May, 2024, 09:42:58 pm »
It looks as though Notts will beat Lancs.

Surrey will win well before lunch tomorrow.

Glamorgan have already won v Sussex. More to the point, Glamorgan gave Sussex a good hiding. Yet Sussex are still top and Glamorgan are only 4th, 11 points behind them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #140 on: 13 May, 2024, 02:04:33 pm »
Kent scored what would normally be seen as a very respectable 407 in their first innings. Unfortunately for them, Worcestershire scored 618-7 declared so Kent still followed on, and are 26-2 and in danger of defeat.

« Reply #141 on: 13 May, 2024, 06:31:21 pm »
Boys' Own stuff duly completed.  Hameed carried his bat in both innings against his former county, for a total of 271 runs, inspiring a huge victory (or THRASHING as it is known in the BBC) - and he is captain.  A few un-Boys' Own tears in the dressing room, I imagine.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #142 on: Today at 12:34:30 pm »
Another round of matches today. A good start for Essex - Warks 64-5. Surrey not having it all their own way - 78-4. But Lawrence is batting very well. Surrey were 15-4.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #143 on: Today at 01:15:38 pm »
I was quite amused by the Graun referring to the Essex mafia this morning, although in this case it was the bowling mafia.

The "Essex Mafia" was what other counties' parents referred to my players as when I used to pick & train the county's junior chess teams teams...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #144 on: Today at 06:48:49 pm »
Well, the Essex Mafia lost its grip on that match. The two not-out Warks batsmen are both >100. Meanwhile, Sodding Surrey are looking to establish a significant first innings lead v Worcs.

Merde.