Author Topic: RR - Denmead 600 as a perm  (Read 2105 times)

border-rider

RR - Denmead 600 as a perm
« on: 28 March, 2008, 09:56:34 pm »
on: July 08, 2006, 22:43

I rode this yesterday and today

I managed to adjust the route to start and finish at home, and get home at about 415 km to sleep.  That worked well; it ended up being 616 km and I got about 5 hours in my own bed  :)

It's a ferociously hilly ride though - at least on fixed.  There are 3 or 4 serious climbs, and the rest just oscillates constantly.  Riding from home, I actually rode the last 135 k first - and this is a tough section, so it made the first day very hard and the second a lot easier

Highlights:

Surprising a fox  early this morning. sitting in the road with its back to me, looking at the day

A weasel just outside Lambourn this afternoon

Lots of leverets: slewing the bike on a fast descent to avoid one and ripping a hole in the sidewall of the back tyre at about 120 k  :(

Seeing an ostrich in the dusky gloom outside Cirencester, and realising it was the pale back end of a very large deer  :)

Terrifying a gang of drunks in Cerney Wick after midnight as I went through at full speed

Finding a village called Chavington

Dazzling 7 (count 'em) cars off the road on one lane  with the Solidlights

Dozing in the baby changing room at Cirencester Tescos (warm, with a soft chair  :))

Being followed in the dark for about a km by a car on a little lane outside Down Ampney whilst climbing out of the saddle.  I  pulled over and the (lady) driver said "It's alright. I'm turning off in a minute.  You have a lovely bum by the way"  ;)

Finishing.  My God I'm glad that's over.