Author Topic: 1001 Miglia Italia 2024  (Read 9590 times)

Re: 1001 Miglia Italia 2024
« Reply #50 on: 06 June, 2024, 06:18:06 pm »
Anyone got a link or suggestion for where i can get suitable insurance to meet their requirements?
Does it have to be some sort of specific racing insurance or just any old?

thanks in advance

« Reply #51 on: 07 June, 2024, 01:29:39 am »
I've used Pedal Covered https://pedalcover.co.uk/. Got all my insurance with them, nice to talk to, everyone I chatted to are cyclists. But I've also never claimed anything and I guess its first then you can really judge them. Told them about this ride and they said it was covered.

« Reply #52 on: 07 June, 2024, 09:03:38 am »
I used to use Pedal Cover and thought they were good but they changed underwriters in 2021 and then wouldn't insure us.

"Sadly our new underwriters NIG have a different underwriting criteria, as a result we are unable to invite your policy for renewal, the reason for this is that your post code is in an area that they have identified as having a subsidence risk.

I'm in London so this must apply to a lot of people! I questioned subsidence as an impact to a "contents" policy and got:

You might find this is never an issue for you, however, our new insurers NIG are a lot more strict on subsidence risks than our previous insurers AXA were. All insurance companies work on their own rating systems and also have different criteria of what level they are prepared to take on and unfortunately, based on your postcode, they have made the decision that your property is too high a risk.
Their ratings are based on a number of things including, but not limited to, claims in the area, soil types, any mining etc in the area and many others and also applies to contents only risks I’m afraid.
Again, I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you again for your previous custom."

We use Admiral now.

« Reply #53 on: 07 June, 2024, 09:30:07 am »
I'm sorry to hear that. Quite a lot changed when they moved from AXA, prior to this they made a big spiel about "if you got an 8kg bike you are not going to ride around with a 1kg D-Lock" any lock that attached the bike to something was OK. After the change its D-Lock etc. Can totally see how this could be abused and why it didn't work in practice.

« Reply #54 on: 07 June, 2024, 11:32:36 am »
I've also submitted my paperwork now. Is this event BRM timed or is it just one speed the whole way? With all that climbing in the beginning its going to be hard to build up much buffer.

Not seen any info on this - control close times are now on the website here:
https://1001migliaitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Planning-tempi-di-passaggio-2024.pdf

hoping it will be mercyful !!

« Reply #55 on: 07 June, 2024, 11:56:37 am »
I used to use Pedal Cover and thought they were good but they changed underwriters in 2021 and then wouldn't insure us.

"Sadly our new underwriters NIG have a different underwriting criteria, as a result we are unable to invite your policy for renewal, the reason for this is that your post code is in an area that they have identified as having a subsidence risk.

I'm in London so this must apply to a lot of people! I questioned subsidence as an impact to a "contents" policy and got:

You might find this is never an issue for you, however, our new insurers NIG are a lot more strict on subsidence risks than our previous insurers AXA were. All insurance companies work on their own rating systems and also have different criteria of what level they are prepared to take on and unfortunately, based on your postcode, they have made the decision that your property is too high a risk.
Their ratings are based on a number of things including, but not limited to, claims in the area, soil types, any mining etc in the area and many others and also applies to contents only risks I’m afraid.
Again, I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you again for your previous custom."

We use Admiral now.

So - i have bike insurance, but it's only for the bike being nicked, in the UK. What the regs want is personal liability cover and (i think) medical expenses for the minimum period 10-25th Aug. Most travel insurance does not seem to cover you if you are doing sports as the primary purpose of your trip, or in an organised sports event.
Seems like Yellow Jersey will give you this cover for the lovely figure of £64 for the period 10-25th August... with no bike cover. With cover for my bike they want ~£130 (for 10 days cover). Mental.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 07 June, 2024, 01:31:02 pm »
The BMC cover is very good value, and they "get" adventure trips! (Also acceptable for ultra races)
Dont think they cover theft, but they are a great organisation, and you get a cool magazine...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #57 on: 07 June, 2024, 01:55:46 pm »
The BMC cover is very good value, and they "get" adventure trips! (Also acceptable for ultra races)

BMC? There's too many cycling BMC acronyms to know which you mean but I'm listening.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #58 on: 07 June, 2024, 08:03:05 pm »

BMC? There's too many cycling BMC acronyms to know which you mean but I'm listening.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/insurance I'm imagining

« Reply #59 on: 11 June, 2024, 05:56:29 pm »
Yes Jas1970,

I think a WhatsApp is a good idea for the Miglia. If you set it up I'm in.

« Reply #60 on: 11 June, 2024, 09:20:14 pm »
Try Direct Line, they do stand alone public liability cover if you don't require the other bits and pieces.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 12 June, 2024, 06:47:26 am »

Yup, the mountaineering people.
(Their members get upto a surprisingly diverse range of stuff).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #62 on: 12 June, 2024, 09:45:35 am »

I can echo that - I used to do guided climbing trips and would get the whole travel insurance through them - but they covered most sports.  Mountaineering was in the same risk category as Skiing, but Rugby was the highest category IIRC.  Fortunately I never had to make a claim, but it did get me the required paperwork.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #63 on: 12 June, 2024, 11:30:52 pm »
So - i have bike insurance, but it's only for the bike being nicked, in the UK. What the regs want is personal liability cover and (i think) medical expenses for the minimum period 10-25th Aug. Most travel insurance does not seem to cover you if you are doing sports as the primary purpose of your trip, or in an organised sports event.
Seems like Yellow Jersey will give you this cover for the lovely figure of £64 for the period 10-25th August... with no bike cover. With cover for my bike they want ~£130 (for 10 days cover). Mental.

Sounds like a good deal, pedalcover travelinsurance (which allows for events, they actually knew about this specific one) was £107 for a year where I am allowed to be away at most three weeks at the time.

Now what is really like getting robbed blind is buying a travel-case for a bike :-)

« Reply #64 on: 12 June, 2024, 11:38:21 pm »
I've also submitted my paperwork now. Is this event BRM timed or is it just one speed the whole way? With all that climbing in the beginning its going to be hard to build up much buffer.

Not seen any info on this - control close times are now on the website here:
https://1001migliaitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/Planning-tempi-di-passaggio-2024.pdf

hoping it will be mercyful !!

Minimum average speed is 11.25km/h according to the control closing times and the few I checked it seems to be the same for the duration of the ride.

« Reply #65 on: 13 June, 2024, 09:09:03 am »
Control sleeping facilities looks a bit bare bones so I guess that means carrying a sleeping mat and bag

« Reply #66 on: 13 June, 2024, 09:12:07 am »
Now what is really like getting robbed blind is buying a travel-case for a bike :-)

There are places in London that rent them, presume some exist elsewhere too.

But most of the time (since we only have one hardcase for two bikes) we just go to the nearest bike shop or Decathlon and get a cardboard box from them. £0

rr

« Reply #67 on: 17 June, 2024, 09:02:33 am »

I can echo that - I used to do guided climbing trips and would get the whole travel insurance through them - but they covered most sports.  Mountaineering was in the same risk category as Skiing, but Rugby was the highest category IIRC.  Fortunately I never had to make a claim, but it did get me the required paperwork.
And when I climbed Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro they were included in their European cover, bargain.

« Reply #68 on: 08 July, 2024, 03:55:14 pm »
Broke my collarbone during my last event so it's looking likely I won't be able to ride this.
I think I can get 30% refund for our two entries but perhaps someone else is looking to ride this? Just putting the feelers out.
We already have flights booked so might just go over to Italy and be normies for a change, unless I can resell the lot and use the holidays for something else later in the year. Just thinking out loud waiting for the painkillerz to kick in.

« Reply #69 on: 09 July, 2024, 05:17:51 pm »
I'm kind of in the same boat Hippy. Broke my elbow 7 weeks ago and wont be ready for the Miglia.
Im going to try for the 30% refund and might get a refund on the one way flight as I was cycling home and Easy jet changed the flight times.

« Reply #70 on: 10 July, 2024, 09:09:58 am »
I'm kind of in the same boat Hippy. Broke my elbow 7 weeks ago and wont be ready for the Miglia.
Im going to try for the 30% refund and might get a refund on the one way flight as I was cycling home and Easy jet changed the flight times.

Bummer. GWS!

I've got a CT scan and consult in a couple of weeks and that will determine surgery or no surgery. If I have surgery I'll definitely not be able to ride. If it's healing by then there might be a chance I can ride and get surgery afterwards (my collarbone has been broken a few times so it's pretty wonky and can't be easily plated, might need bone shaving) but it's right on the limit for bone reapair at my age.

We got the flights super cheap so we might still go over to see some stuff on foot but even walking is pretty painful currently (some kind of nerve between neck and the back of my shoulder is super painful if I move much)

Super annoying. Quite like riding in Italy and this is messing up my SR series for the year! :)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #71 on: 10 July, 2024, 12:03:44 pm »

Supposedly it was a fairly hefty claim on the BMC insurance that resulted in Clubs offering 3rd party insurance a bit of pain in refinding as insurers left the market and cost increases a couple of years ago.