Author Topic: Blow your own…  (Read 949 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Blow your own…
« on: 03 June, 2024, 03:58:11 pm »
It’s well over fifteen years since I played my saxophone, but in a rush of blood to the head type moment, I’ve just dug it out. I’m thinking of putting it straight back where I found it!

First problem, a lot of the reeds have gone moldy. Ukkk

There was one unopened box of reeds that were ok. But they’re the strongest I was using way back when, and with my lack of good technique, the loss of my embouchure and my general lack of fitness the noise I made was less than pleasant.

I’ve ordered a box of weak (1.5) inexpensive reeds and will try again before I give up. It seems a shame to have the time, the instrument and a modicum of training and not make a noise.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Blow your own…
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2024, 04:03:30 pm »
I should probably dig my bugle back out and try to build up my embouchure in readiness for scout parades in November. It would also benefit my ability to play my tenor horn at church as well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2024, 05:08:52 pm »
Aye well, I'm sitting here flanked by 3 guitars, a guitarrita and a banjo, and the fingers of my left hand will rarely go where I want them too. The left little one in particular is all over the place.  I should really call it a day and sell them all, along with the other two downstairs, but I like the company.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2024, 05:11:53 pm »
Consider them as works of art.  Unless they're some atrocious pointy thrash metal things, in which case, sell them.

I have started lessons.  We are working on Weezer's '"Say It Ain't So".  It probably isn't the easiest!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2024, 05:16:17 pm »
I have scarcely touched the piano or a recorder for months. Being miserable don't half reduce your desire to make music.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2024, 06:15:05 pm »
Approximately 857,482 blues musicians beg to differ ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2024, 06:28:00 pm »
Maybe that just demonstrates that that my favoured output, the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, is inherently joyful.

In the final chorus of the St. John Passion, Ruht Wohl, when Christ's body is lying in the tomb, Herr B. treats us to a minuet. Or maybe a sarabande. Certainly a dance in 3/4 time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9LAITt7as
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2024, 06:42:07 pm »
Thanks for the link Wowbagger. That was absolutely sublime.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2024, 07:25:02 pm »
I’ve ordered a box of weak (1.5) inexpensive reeds and will try again before I give up. It seems a shame to have the time, the instrument and a modicum of training and not make a noise.

Go for it!

(Still blowing after 52 years)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2024, 01:02:29 am »
I have far more guitars than I should have, if we're basing things on skill level. They take up too much space, the pedal board is overkill, the Vortexion amp and 1x12 cab are too big, the little 5W valve combo is in the way, and is mostly run at 0.1W anyway, it's so loud.

I don't care. They're paid for and they make me happy, and that's pretty much my entire reason for playing.

Buy your reeds and have a blow. Life is too short to own an ugly gun require justification.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2024, 02:19:53 pm »
I justified the guitars by starting lessons.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 04 June, 2024, 03:41:27 pm »
You're all winning compared to those of us who through lack of gift or opportunity have managed to go through life without acquiring any musical skills whatsoever.  Make some noise!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2024, 07:21:52 pm »
I justified the guitars by starting lessons.

Severe lack of tutors around here, I think I could really benefit from a few lessons at my stage
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2024, 10:09:21 pm »
Severe lack of tutors around here, I think I could really benefit from a few lessons at my stage

Via the internet the teacher can come to you. For example, have a look at this, ElyDave.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2024, 10:29:34 pm »

Via the internet the teacher can come to you. For example, have a look at this, ElyDave.

I use a lot of videos like that, his are generally pretty good, though I've not seen that one specifically.

This one is also pretty good  https://sixstringfingerpicking.com/songs/romeo-and-juliet/

What i don't get from these though is why my barre on fret 2 keeps going to pot. You can watch on repeat, but no interaction. I do have a semi-available resource in one of our tenants who has lots of experience, and got some brownie points with having sorted his heating out once.

Musing on this perhaps finding a local group for a casual get together might be a good learning experience
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2024, 04:03:34 pm »
Maybe that just demonstrates that that my favoured output, the music of Johann Sebastian Bach, is inherently joyful.

In the final chorus of the St. John Passion, Ruht Wohl, when Christ's body is lying in the tomb, Herr B. treats us to a minuet. Or maybe a sarabande. Certainly a dance in 3/4 time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9LAITt7as
The bass lute (if that's what it is) is quite impressive.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.