Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 428102 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #3300 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:19:02 pm »
Why Oh why oh why oh why oh why do operating system developers name, rather than number, the different versions of their stuff.
I'm tinkering with a Raspberry Pi. The instructions say I'll need the Buster version of the OS. Or is it Bullseye? Begins with B anyway. As does Bookworm. What's wrong with 1, followed by 2, then 3? That way I know, quite easily, which is newer.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3301 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:35:27 pm »
Oh yes, those names are unhelpful, as far as I remember not even alphabetical. See also "ice cream sandwich".

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3302 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:35:53 pm »
To be fair, they tend to do both.  Which is actually worse when you're trying to work out whether 'bug-eye' is a higher version than '13'.

I'm no historian, but I get the feeling the Mega-Global Fruit co started it.  Until then, the codenames were just a developer thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3303 on: 30 May, 2024, 09:55:51 pm »
Leopard!
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3304 on: 10 June, 2024, 06:11:27 pm »
“Shitty bollocks!” exclaimed a furious Mr Larrington.  “How the fucking fuck did that bit of The Database get so monumentally bollixed?”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3305 on: 10 June, 2024, 07:05:30 pm »
Was it an Excel database?  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3306 on: 10 June, 2024, 07:17:21 pm »
Access.  Had to use Excel to mend it though ;D

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #3307 on: 19 June, 2024, 10:45:13 am »
Dear contractor's minion,

How, how can you be employed as a developer and not know _anything_ about the command line? Git Bash is not an obscure tool.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #3308 on: 20 June, 2024, 07:53:15 pm »
Fuck me FTP over GSM is a right royal PITA, isn't it?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3309 on: 20 June, 2024, 08:25:22 pm »

Has this message just arrived from 1998?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3310 on: 20 June, 2024, 08:28:14 pm »

I'm presuming it's FTP over the multiple layers of NAT beloved by mobile ISPs that's the issue.
But I might be wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3311 on: 20 June, 2024, 08:58:09 pm »
FTP over most things is annoying, but that certainly won't help.

I can't really comment.  A winter project a couple of years back was adding FTPS (that is, traditional FTP wrapped in SSL, not to be confused with SFTP) support to $race_timing_software for uploading live results, because the BHPC's web hosting company still seem to think that's a reasonable way to move files around (they also seem to think that Microsoft Windows is a reasonable operating system for running a web server on, so there you go).

« Reply #3312 on: 20 June, 2024, 09:28:12 pm »

I'm presuming it's FTP over the multiple layers of NAT beloved by mobile ISPs that's the issue.
But I might be wrong.

You're not wrong. I guess it's LTE or NR or whatever but it's a pile of dog shit for actually maintaining a connection long enough for the server to handshake. Which then gets in a huff as it's had >8 aborted connections from the same IP. Half an hour to pull 100 files and the one I actually wanted to edit was No. 99 in the queueue. And then I need to upload the new version. Pretty please?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3313 on: 20 June, 2024, 09:30:33 pm »
it's a pile of dog shit for actually maintaining a connection long enough for the server to handshake. Which then gets in a huff as it's had >8 aborted connections from the same IP.

Ah yes, I've had that experience courtesy of Premier Inn WiFi more than once.   :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3314 on: 20 June, 2024, 09:35:18 pm »
Meanwhile, some idiot[1] bought a ream of Niceday-quality recycled paper, instead of the proper stuff.  I now have the choice of printing on Purple (Tray 2) or white-with-a-hint-of-generic-poo-colour-that-will-probably-paper-jam (Tray 3), or manually feeding previous sheets of crispy white 80GSM fail from the output tray (Tray 1)

[1] Ostensibly this is my fault, but on closer examination of the packaging, I'm blaming the Mega-Global Photocopier Corporation of Rochester, USAnia for misleadingly omitting any kind of warning beyond the word 'recycled'.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3315 on: 20 June, 2024, 09:37:35 pm »
Well, yes. FTP is an old protocol which assumes proper full robust IP connectivity between client and server.
That's now broken for 2 reasons:

-NAT;
-Mobile devices that connect and disconnect to various networks at random, breaking TCP sessions.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3316 on: 25 June, 2024, 11:16:04 pm »
So basically it's a problem with the carrier rather than the fundamental protocol.

I've never understood the downer on ftp. Sure if you're connecting to your bank it's a bad choice, but it's a user choice not a choice ftp has made. If you're uploading photos to a server that does nothing but host photos you are putting in the public domain who gives a shit?

Waddaya mean you thought 'cloud' was trustable and you don't have a local copy¿ sheesh!
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3317 on: 25 June, 2024, 11:32:11 pm »
FTP uses two sockets on different ports, because hysterical raisins.  This causes headaches with firewalls and NAT (even in passive mode), and makes it particularly good at failing to stay connected when transfers are slow.

More modern protocols like SFTP or indeed plain old-fashioned HTTP slurp everything down the same straw, which is much less 'special' at a network level.

Encryption is another matter.  I agree that there's little[1] reason to be paranoid about the photos you're uploading to a website being intercepted on the wire, but the password to your hosting really ought to be encrypted, lest you discover that some kiddie has stuffed your webspace with warez and goat pr0n.

[1] Beyond the "encrypt everything on general principle" argument.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3318 on: 26 June, 2024, 10:12:05 pm »
pharmacy2u: not only is the name of your business guaranteed to trigger even the dimmest of spam traps but I don’t need to order any more pills yet.  Because I'm not even halfway through the big box containing eight weeks supply you sent me a few weeks ago yet.  Basic arithmetic, innit.

sort it out u muppets!

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #3319 on: 27 June, 2024, 11:53:45 am »
pharmacy2u: not only is the name of your business guaranteed to trigger even the dimmest of spam traps but I don’t need to order any more pills yet.  Because I'm not even halfway through the big box containing eight weeks supply you sent me a few weeks ago yet.  Basic arithmetic, innit.

sort it out u muppets!

In a similar vein, a well known shopping site is still showing me loads of Father's Day cards because "Customers who viewed items in your browsing history also viewed".

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3320 on: 27 June, 2024, 02:10:58 pm »

sort it out u muppets!

One of the pharmacy online thingies sends me reminders. For a drug that it won't give me as I are too old.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3321 on: 07 July, 2024, 01:43:12 pm »
Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia, a pox upon your SCIENCE!  Two fucking hours of faffage to get iTunes to recognise an iPod.  Are you stupid or something?  Or what?  sort it out u muppets!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3322 on: 07 July, 2024, 02:02:18 pm »
While I'm sure it runs somewhat better when it's not hosted on a solar-powered Windows VPS, Wordpress makes for frustratingly non-Newtonian webby SCIENCE.  If I had my way, it'd all be static HTML3.  Which is probably why I don't have my way.

« Reply #3323 on: 07 July, 2024, 07:52:00 pm »
While I'm sure it runs somewhat better when it's not hosted on a solar-powered Windows VPS, Wordpress makes for frustratingly non-Newtonian webby SCIENCE.  If I had my way, it'd all be static HTML3.  Which is probably why I don't have my way.

I would tend to agree, Wordpress basically serves up static web pages by means of a gazillion database queries, which on the face of it is bonkers, though the cleverness of Apache and modern hardware means it doesn't generally crash and burn.

That's by the bye, I came here for a Rant.

Bloody 123-Reg. Having right royally cocked up your server move by (a) changing mail servers without telling anyone; (ii) failing to move any existing SSL certificates and (3.) setting security so tight that all incoming email is bounced; can you at least admit there's a problem and sort it out?

You've sorted out my own email and website, why do I now have to go through an endless cycle of "are you using Outlook? Here are the settings" — "No you muppets, it's incoming email that's bounced by *your* server". Why can't you just apply the same fix to all the other domains?

* Oh and [IV] breaking all DB applications by switching to MariaDb (without telling anyone) and failing to test whether Perl module installation actually still works.

On the plus side Wordpress is now actually performant.

« Reply #3324 on: 09 July, 2024, 11:13:10 pm »
LinkedIn. You have very few functions that I’m interested in. Connecting with some self proclaimed engineering ninja isn’t one of them. But sending a “well done” to an old colleague is. So why is your messaging function utterly broken? Given the rate of change of jobs amongst my friends, you’re wasting a good chance to actually be useful. (Browser on iThing.)