Author Topic: Grave gone missing!  (Read 2470 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Grave gone missing!
« on: 07 May, 2015, 01:58:37 pm »
A weird one...  My father's grave has disappeared.  We don't visit often, less than once a year (he died in 1955), but when I visited a couple of years ago, I noticed the grave next door had a tree growing through it, and that this has slightly affected the level of the "kerbing" around my father's grave.  My mother visited a year ago, and found the gravestone was not there, but that it had been moved and was propped up against a wall.  She was supposedly upset, but not upset enough to mention it to me (she never, ever mentions my father, the subject of his death is taboo).

I visited a few days ago, no sign of it, anywhere....  The plot and the adjacent one is just bare grass now.  All the other graves are stil there OK, its not one of those "we need to flatten it all so we can drive a mower across the lot" scenarios.  I emailed the parish council which is repsonsible for the graveyard.  They said that actually, that bit of the graveyard (the older bit) was not them, it was the PCC, but they'd asked them and they haven't moved anything.  They seem to think its OK to erase all trace of my father and his grave and then deny it. 

What should I do?  I've started by emailing the PCC asking them to reassure me they have the stone in safe storage and will replace it within a month, but I have no idea what their reaction wil be.  Surely, apart from anything else, its theft?  I intend to force them to replace it at their cost, but has anyone here faced this sort of situation?
Wombat

Re: Grave gone missing!
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2015, 02:00:52 pm »
No advice to offer, but, Wombat, that is quite horrible. If I were you I'd be dreadfully upset and it must be even worse for your mum.

If you don't get a response very very soon, I'd go to the local press.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2015, 09:58:41 pm »
Is the plot leased? Has it expired?

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:02:19 pm »
Nope, its a church graveyard, they're supposed to leave them there for hundreds of years. (No, I wont be wasting space in this way myself, I'm going to be cremated unless a more environmentally friendly method comes up before I shuffle off).

If I don't get a plausible answer by close of play Monday, I will indeed be going to the local press.
Wombat

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2015, 10:05:07 pm »
Have you got any kind of photos of the grave? If you had, it would give you a lot more leverage to prove the fuckwittery that has gone on. So sorry to hear this has happened to your family  >:(

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2015, 11:10:32 pm »
I hope your email gets things sorted, that sounds upsetting.
Is there a vicar / groundsperson / some individual connected with the church that might have noticed stuff in the graveyard that you could ask?

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2015, 07:40:33 am »
A difficult subject. Most managed public cemeteries will have a plot map and detailed records.  Several people including children have been killed by falling monumental masonry in recent years and many injured. Headstones now usually have pins securing them to a foundation which was often not the case in the past.  The removal of defective headstones is normally subject to a notice being posted for a period of time.  Many cemeteries then lay defective headstones on the ground.

Is a bit unclear above just who is responsible for the churchard burials. Is the cemetery open or closed? Church Law is a nightmare. For closed burial grounds there is often a 'friends of' organisation which, if extant in this case, could be a useful channel.

The Govt (M of Justice)  has published advice as to how memorial safety should be dealt with and which you may find useful as a reference doc in any dialogue with the cemetery management. See section on communication.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/326725/safety-burial-grounds.pdf

HTH
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wombat

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2015, 07:24:37 pm »
Well that was a little odd, and not a little annoying.  The person I should be ranting at is a) my mother and her sister for telling a load of old bollocks, and b) me, for believing them.  Well mum, if you can't even remember where your husband's grave is, I've just about had it with bailing you out of silly situations.  How small did you think I'd feel when it was pointed out to me that the grave wasn't where you had insisted it was, but three farther along?  I do wonder whose grave really HAS disappeared in the gap that has appeared in the last year, but its not my father's, which is still there, covered in lichen.  Friday's task, apart from ferrying said mother to another doctor's appointment after her self induced hospital stay, is evidently to visit said grave with a scrubbing brush and cleaning stuff and get the lichen off and drag you down there to show you.

And yes, the person who had the job of telling me my complaint (which I did fortunately state in very polite terms) was rubbish, is someone I vaguely know and respect, and no, I do not feel good about it.  So mum, when Mrs W suggests you give her a cheque for a replacement drill for the one that gave out while drilling the holes for the keysafe on your wall, as my birthday present, you'd better cough.  a) I'm spending my birthday on Friday running round after you instead of lounging in the pub for a leisurely and alcoholic lunch, and b) thanks to your completely avoidable silliness which got you into hospital, I won't be getting any of that inheritance you kept saying you'd kept for me, but refused to put in my care when I told you it would be a good idea to.

Moral of story, never believe what you mother tells you, even if you've been conditioned to do so all your life.  When I have made my infrequent visits to said grave in years past, I've just wandered along until I found it.  Because mum stated very clearly it was where the gap is, I foolishly believed her.... 
Wombat

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2015, 09:03:02 pm »
I'm glad it showed up, even if it wasn't quite the mystery expected.
Good luck with finding some lounging about opportunities on Friday and the silliness of parents.