Author Topic: Fixer as a first proper bike?  (Read 1618 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Fixer as a first proper bike?
« on: 27 December, 2010, 01:43:55 pm »
My nephew is 18 and comes from a cycling-deprived family.  There's been a smattering of BSOs over the years but nothing really nice. He's decided to shell out some of his hard earned wonga on a Proper Bike, and for some reason (his mate has one, less maintenance) he's decided a fixer is the way to go.  He lives near Richmond Park so thinks it'll be great for doing a few laps. I've warned him against joining London Dynamo.  He'll also use it to get to work in Chessington.

Anyway, there are a couple of Spec. Langsters on Ebay and Gumtree. He's smart enough to steer away from the obviously dodgy/dishonest and has twigged that secondhand is often the way to bargainy goodnees.

Size is 56-57cm (we tried a few of my bikes on over Christmas) - he's 5'8", lean and fit. He used to row.

Budget is 250-300 notes.

I suggested perhaps that a flip flop hub would be better, so he can go single speed while he gets a grip of riding in traffic, then fixie coolness once he's mastered the gentle art of staying alive.

Any other tips and wrinkles welcome.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Fixer as a first proper bike?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »
Seems like a sound idea, though I'd have to have younger & more foolish legs to do the hills of Richmond Park at any rate on fixed.  Worth looking out for a second hand Kona Paddy Waggon or Lemond Fillmore.  Both good bikes without the premium the Langster gets.
Getting there...

Re: Fixer as a first proper bike?
« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »
Pompino of course which will take guards/rack (see thread below) and the Boardman single speed is I think 20% off at Halfrauds at the moment