Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955747 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6325 on: 18 April, 2016, 08:52:48 pm »
Hush.

I'm not usually one for slasher movies, but this one was great!  Mind, nobody from YACF would've even tried to ...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Maybe don't watch this at night if you're a woman living alone.

It's the sort of thing[1] that makes me want to wire the house with motion sensors, redundant power supply, backup communications, etc.  Life's too short to be flinching at every strange noise when you're on your own.  Besides, I'm genre-savvy and know that I'm far too sensible, queer and unattractive to be the subject of a horror movie - the psychopath will pick me off without warning in the first act, probably when I'm looking for an inhaler.

[1] Not really, that's having been physically threatened by actual burglars.

Yeah, me too.  The inhaler thing  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6326 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »
The trouble with superhero origin stories is that makes he idea of falling into a vat of toxic waste or being exposed to cosmic rays (or what have you) almost an attractive idea  :-D

The antidote to this is the original "Robocop" when one of the bad guys crashed a van into a loadbof unspeakable gunge and turned into the kind of gloop you get in a pork pie six months past its sell-by date.

Ah yes, a classic scene of gyore
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #6327 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:43:15 pm »
Saw "Our little sister" today at the ICA, a Japanese film about three sisters who invite their newly-discovered step-sister to live with them.

As usual for a Japanese film, very subtly nuanced study of personal relationships, and authentic portrayal of life in Japan for those unfamiliar with same, with high food interests.

It's on at a few selected cinemas around the country, see ourlittlesister.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6328 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:07:58 am »
Saw the poster for Our Little Sister, thought it looked tempting, but actually went to see Dheepan. Good but disturbing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6329 on: 22 April, 2016, 09:25:37 pm »
Interstellar. Sort of the Grapes of Wrath in space, with Michael Caine, a poltergeist and quantum love. Meh.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6330 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:35:37 am »
45 Years

Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay in a subtle, exquisite portrayal of people in a long marriage.  It's a marriage that falls into crisis a few days before a landmark anniversary - his past is made present, exposing the fragility of their (and every) seemingly strong relationship. 

There are no splosions or aliens or car chases in this film. 
Milk please, no sugar.

Andrew

« Reply #6331 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:39:40 am »
45 Years There are no splosions or aliens or car chases in this film.

For that alone, I shall watch.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6332 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:35:14 pm »
The last Hunger Games film.  It's not as bad as the third one.  Cheesy ending.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #6333 on: 25 April, 2016, 09:12:33 pm »
I only watch files with explosions, aliens and car chases in them. Occasionally monsters.

What's the point otherwise? It's about as exciting as a walk down the street. Less so, come to think it, depending on where you live.

I'm quite excited to hear there's a movie about sausages coming out this summer.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6334 on: 25 April, 2016, 11:13:50 pm »
Both have their place.  I once watched Babbette's Feast which won an Oscar for best foreign language film back in the 80s.  As far as I could tell nothing happened at all in it really (well a meal was cooked for two women who were terrible cooks  ;) ) *

But it was really a very excellent film.

I also like X-Men films too thobut.  O:-)

* there was  backdrop to the Napoleonic wars it *might* have had brief reference to early 19th century explosions - can't recall precisely.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6335 on: 25 April, 2016, 11:29:38 pm »
I only watch files with explosions, aliens and car chases in them. Occasionally monsters.

What's the point otherwise? It's about as exciting as a walk down the street. Less so, come to think it, depending on where you live.

I'm quite excited to hear there's a movie about sausages coming out this summer.

That's got to be a French art film, gay sausages.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6336 on: 26 April, 2016, 08:03:41 am »
Samsara

Documentary with no commentary or dialogue. After a few minutes I was thinking it can't just be like this for the next hour and 40 mins? It is, but it's totally enthralling. Blu-ray/4k/surround sound is recommended.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Andrew

« Reply #6337 on: 26 April, 2016, 09:10:08 am »
Re exploding alien car chases, I don't have a problem with it or them - singularly or multiply. They work in some films, where they are a part of the production.

What I don't like is a film that relies on them to carry the film. There has to be a semblance of character and story for me to be captivated.  Ok, one can wow at the cgi - and I can acknowledge the technical brilliance - but it's doesn't necessarily make for a good film imho.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6338 on: 28 April, 2016, 09:40:51 am »
Re exploding alien car chases,

Finally saw Brief Encounter last night! Took N to our local film-club as a birthday pressie (although she'd seen it before on the small screen). It is good, despite the low exploding alien count. Steam train fans are of course compensated.

One quirk is that it features several films-within-the-film, as our star-crossed lovers sneak into the cinema. One trip provides this quote:

The stars can change in their courses, the universe go up in flames,
and the world crash around us, but there'll always be Donald Duck.
 I do love him so... his dreadful energy, his blind frustrated rages.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6339 on: 28 April, 2016, 09:47:33 am »
Re exploding alien car chases,

Finally saw Brief Encounter last night! Took N to our local film-club as a birthday pressie (although she'd seen it before on the small screen). It is good, despite the low exploding alien count. Steam train fans are of course compensated.

One quirk is that it features several films-within-the-film, as our star-crossed lovers sneak into the cinema. One trip provides this quote:

The stars can change in their courses, the universe go up in flames,
and the world crash around us, but there'll always be Donald Duck.
 I do love him so... his dreadful energy, his blind frustrated rages.

It's gorgeous isn't it?

You can do a pilgrimage to the station where they filmed that, y'know.  They're very cycle friendly.

http://www.refreshmentroom.com/

We went there with Simeon Orme.  It was really special  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6340 on: 28 April, 2016, 02:36:27 pm »
Samsara

Documentary with no commentary or dialogue. After a few minutes I was thinking it can't just be like this for the next hour and 40 mins? It is, but it's totally enthralling. Blu-ray/4k/surround sound is recommended.

That sounds like the apotheosis of what is known in the Legs household as wankybollocks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6341 on: 28 April, 2016, 02:40:04 pm »
Samsara

That sounds like the apotheosis of what is known in the Legs household as wankybollocks.

Samsara is the go-to Bluray (and now 4K) demo disc.

It's a sequence of spectacular video sequences, showing just how beautiful the World can be.  Nothing more, nothing less, just beautiful stuff.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #6342 on: 28 April, 2016, 05:10:53 pm »
For foodies the classic Blowout' (Grande Boef? in Fr) is unbeatable. 3 typical noir frenchmen eat themselves to death  by gastronomic excess.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #6343 on: 30 April, 2016, 08:49:43 pm »
Finally saw Brief Encounter last night! [...] It is good, despite the low exploding alien count.

*weeps*  Best. Film. Ever. *weeps again, for different reason*

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #6344 on: 30 April, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »
Battle Mountain: Graeme Obree's Story

Crazy British shed-fettlers, we salute you!

I failed at Larrington-spotting, but did manage to spot Mr Obree when he came into the cinema for the Q&A afterwards, so it wasn't all bad.

Saw it last night.  Wonderful.  Also failed to spot Mr L, but I did notice that Battle Mountain has a Lemaire store, which will do.  And didn't manage to read all the names in the crowd-funder credits, but I did spot a certain forum member noted for their varying rim diameters.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6345 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:28:08 am »
45 Years

Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay in a subtle, exquisite portrayal of people in a long marriage.  It's a marriage that falls into crisis a few days before a landmark anniversary - his past is made present, exposing the fragility of their (and every) seemingly strong relationship. 

There are no splosions or aliens or car chases in this film.

My favourite film, ever (Biutiful),  has none of those things in it.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6346 on: 01 May, 2016, 10:55:14 am »
Wild Tales

A film of six separate films back-to-back, with a common theme. Brilliant, hilarious and thought provoking.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6347 on: 01 May, 2016, 09:20:13 pm »
The Family

A film about a New York family who move to France under a witness protection program, to escape the Mafia family that Robert de Niro was once a member of.  Whilst it's quite humorous in a fairly violent way (although not on the same scale as some films), the films ends with a suddenly substantially less funny section, but which still has its lighter aspects.

Overall I think it's a reasonable comedy film, although it does seem to try and be both a bit silly and meaningful, which I'm not entirely sure it manages to do seamlessly.

Still, any film with both Robert de Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer in, is not going to be bad, and I didn't expect a work of great artistic merit but something light and easy to watch.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6348 on: 02 May, 2016, 11:49:40 am »
Postman Pat: The Movie

This was on Channel 4 for Bank Holiday Monday morning, while I was cooking.  It's actually surprisingly well made, and quite funny in places.  There are all sort of nods to other films, not least the Terminator bit at the end, with the Cat Bot!

The winner has to be when they're testing out various types of postman robots!

Click for YouTube video

(Also, I hadn't realised that Postman Pat had been privatised, although he still drives a Royal Mail van, whilst working for SDS ... wtf?  In the TV series, he seems to have an SDS van now.)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6349 on: 02 May, 2016, 12:57:56 pm »
He got a helicopter licence at some point, too.