Author Topic: Can't shift tiny screws  (Read 2081 times)

JJ

Can't shift tiny screws
« on: 27 July, 2021, 06:04:39 pm »
#1 son's laptop is poorly.  Display has ceased to display.  Back-light is working.  Display through external monitor is fine.  I suspect the cable, but you have to take off the lcd to get to where it plugs in.  LCD is held by 4 tiny, even by laptop standard, screws.  Two came out easy, but two won't be shifted even by swearing in French, and they are just starting to round off.

I can't be the first person on here to hit this.  What advice folks?

I'm using a couple of teeny-tiny screwdrivers that have been sufficient hitherto.  I'm happy to buy better tools.

JJ

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Can't shift tiny screws
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
Don't use Phillips screwdrivers on Pozidriv screws or vice-versa.  (No, I can't tell when they're that small either.)  Avoid tools made of cheese and don't even try if it's not the right size.  Try swearing in Chinese.  GAMI.

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:41:20 pm »
Wot Kim sez

Plus:
Make sure you are in a position to apply down force as well as torque to the screw

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:05:03 pm »
Little Screwdrivers with twiddly ends are helpful, in this respect.

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:22:10 pm »
Check various screwdriver heads for fit before use.  A loose fit will cause angst.  Dependent on the strength of the casing, a small ball-pein hammer or a hammer & small punch can be used to peen displaced metal on the screwhead back into the slots (don't overdo this).

JJ

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:45:22 pm »
Okey dokey,
I'm for buying a new set of drivers with a decent sized handle that I can find a really good fit and press down on, and Ian's punch suggestion may be good.  I've done that on bike and motorbike screws but not on these ridiculous laptop ones.  The impact may loosen whatever they put on the thread too.

You can ask ANYTHING on here and expect to get an answer!

« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2021, 11:38:21 pm »
Butchers approach...
I've used a narrow flat blade screwdriver and ground its fine tip a bit, virtually to a point at this size to get best depth, this used in the least abused slot pair I've managed to turn an otherwise stuck screw
(A really pointy kitchen knife might work too but might also go twang DAMHIKT so wear eye protection and cover the screen)
I suppose heating up the head with a soldering iron might get the plastic behind to melt and give a little, but be aware it might instead de-bond the fixed nut, but then at least screws are out, and the rivnut could be epoxied back in?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Can't shift tiny screws
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2021, 08:38:13 am »

This is what I have for this kind of job:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-precision-screwdriver-bit-set-22-pieces/1890v

Very helpful indeed. As Ian H says, you sometimes have to try different heads until you find the one that’s the best fit.

I’m sure there are better quality versions of this sort of thing, but I find this fine for my needs.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2021, 10:55:01 am »
Could be Japanese standard heads dependant on the laptop brand. They are slightly different to philips. You find these on cameras too.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

JJ

« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2021, 04:47:42 pm »
Well - I bought new screwdrivers but still no joy.  In the end I gave it to a local company why were able to get one out but drilled the other.  That's fine because all it holds is one corner of the LCD.
Having done that, there is no longer any sign of the fault that started this.  I guess at least when it reappears, I'll be able to get to the ribbon!

« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2021, 02:08:15 pm »
FTFY  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2021, 07:35:17 pm »
I hate "jewellers" screwdriver sets with a passion.

This is quite spendy, but I wouldn't be without it now. Properly formed heads that just work on small stuff
https://products.wera.de/en/screwdrivers_series_kraftform_micro_kraftform_micro_12_universal_1.html

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12 on: 01 September, 2021, 10:13:34 pm »
Don't use Phillips screwdrivers on Pozidriv screws or vice-versa.  (No, I can't tell when they're that small either.)  Avoid tools made of cheese and don't even try if it's not the right size.  Try swearing in Chinese.  GAMI.

True and those pesky japanese industry standard screwdrivers.

« Reply #13 on: 01 September, 2021, 10:15:56 pm »
I quite like JIS screwdrivers, now that I'm aware of them. Especially working on Japanese motorcycles, you really need them - but they tend to just work (unless someone has pre-butchered the screw head trying to use a Philips or Posidrive on them).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #14 on: 01 September, 2021, 10:18:27 pm »
I quite like JIS screwdrivers, now that I'm aware of them. Especially working on Japanese motorcycles, you really need them - but they tend to just work (unless someone has pre-butchered the screw head trying to use a Philips or Posidrive on them).

Can I have an AMEN brothers and sisters...