Author Topic: The death of passwords  (Read 5364 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The death of passwords
« Reply #25 on: 12 May, 2022, 12:36:21 am »
6. What is the importance of the password
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 12 May, 2022, 12:37:10 am »
Passwords don't work.

It's that simple. Pretending they're a security mechanism when they are not is basically a scam to convince us insecure stuff is secure.

Unfortunately whatever they replace them with, knowing IT departments, will be worse.

[citation needed]

Sorry, you gotta explain this one in more depth.

I can see the benefits of biometrics since you won't get Doris in accounts sticking her password on a post-it under the keyboard or they use the same PIN for everything with the source being their debit card!

Writing down your password isn't inherently bad. A password manager is basically writing down your password. The issue is writing it down and leaving it around for people to find. I have passwords that are written down.

They are written on paper, in a tamper evident bag, and stored in a safe for which I do not have access. The bag is labelled "Only to be opened in the case of my death". Every now and then I annoy one of the key holders to the safe by asking to see the bag.

Writing a password down is not inherently wrong. Leaving it where others can access it, is.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 12 May, 2022, 12:41:09 am »

A password is just part of a token to identify something that is allowed to access something else. The full token typically takes the form of username + password. Username on it's own isn't enough, password on it's own isn't enough.

You can replace both with some sort of cryptographic function. That's what x509 certificates can do. That's what my yubikey can do. You can even do away with the username. Just have the password. But you need to make sure that is unique. Yacf does that by having "Jaded" plus "banana" to make the one ID token. Yubikey does that by the unique serial number burned into the device.

J
--

« Reply #28 on: 12 May, 2022, 07:27:39 am »
Half the problem is that most conversations in respect of security authentication are of a "one size fits all" type, like the report in the OP and many of the comments. Reality is  more nuanced, and security is made up of layers of protection, the security you need for subscribing to Pictures of Kittens Playing With Live Ordnance is different from a social network site is different from a site with card details is different from your bank online account. You see almost none of that realisation in real life.

As has been pointed out, security can come from something you know, something you have and something you are, multi factor authentication combines two or more of these and when properly implemented at the back end provides the average user with all the security they need. A "poor" password with 2FA is for all intents and purposes as good as a 256 random character password. MFA is the way forward, rather than any single key system, however sophisticated, increasingly phones have the capability to provide a unique "something you have". For example, my Pixel Titan chip provides a potentially astonishingly high level of security, which can be used in the same way as a yubikey QG refers to, but, as yet, there are few systems implementing it.

« Reply #29 on: 12 May, 2022, 08:00:29 am »

Good 2FA is the only way. TOTP (i.e. google authenticator), or SMS, is not good enough for this. We're talking TPM or yubikey as the only good options.

I agree with much of what you said, but why is google authenticator a problem? I know that SMS can be socially engineered (by phoning the network provider and pretending to be the user), but Authenticator is basically the same as one of those RSA security key things - you need a password/biometric thing to get at it, and it changes every minute, and for every login attempt, so even a successful phishing page won't get you enough data to correctly log into the real page.
I ask because at a previous job I wrote the 2fa integration for our service to use Authenticator (was previously password only, so at least somewhat better).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2022, 08:12:52 am »
a yubikey,

I am a very big fan of yubikeys for authentication.

J
without my yubikey, you're getting nowhere.
We're talking TPM or yubikey as the only good options.
Well if we use things like a yubikey,
the yubikey is doing the authentication for you,
you only need to unlock the yubikey.
 touching the yubikey

J
That's what my yubikey can do.
Yubikey does that by the unique serial number burned into the device.

J
Gosh, I've never heard of a yubikey but it must be something really important seeing how many times QG has mentioned it. But if it were really so important, surely she'd explain what it is? Quixotic Geek couldn't possibly be doing that geeky thing of assuming everyone, all the users of passwords and pins and fingerprints and everything else, is equally geeky, could she? Oh, she is. Well, I'll have to look it up for myself then. Oh look, there's a Wikipedia page:
The YubiKey is a hardware authentication device manufactured by Yubico to protect access to computers, networks, and online services that supports...
So it's an actual physical device. Yet another thing to carry around. Yet another clunky feature. How wonderful! Looks like you have to plug it into a USB slot in a computer. How do you connect it to a smartphone? Or a dumbphone? Or a computer that's so old it has no USB connection or so new it only has USB of a newer type? Or when you've forgotten it? Or when it's worn a hole in your pocket? Most of all, are people really going to welcome the need to carry round an extra thing when they could simply put in a four digit pin or use their finger? Moah humanz needed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 12 May, 2022, 08:50:56 am »
Not a fan of yubikey, because it is a small physical object that can be lost.

2FA, via an app, is a better solution. Someone tries to connect to a secure system, the system alerts the app. What happens next varies. The app asks some version of 'Are you trying to log in?', and to be able to answer you have to be able to unlock the device and respond. Sure, a phone could be cloned, but that is getting into serious system penetration territory.

The proposal from MS, Apple etc is to do away with 2FA. There is the very disingenuous statement that 2FA is less secure than biometrics. Well, if the 2FA requires a fingerprint, face scan or pin to access, it is using biometrics (plus an initial password). So they are obviously talking spherical hairy objects.

This is purely about Apple etc making more attempts to lock everyone into their ecosystem. Currently there are many 3rd party security systems providing 2FA authentication (I bet they boomed in business with covid lockdown).

Where do passwords fail?
When the password is used once in a blue moon - people either forget, or use the same password for everything.
Over-complex requirements, making it very hard to remember.
Banning common word combinations (a very secure password method is to use a book - pick random page and lines down the page, use the first x words on that line. You can then record the page and line number in some way - but not the book.)

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:01:52 am »

A password is just part of a token to identify something that is allowed to access something else. The full token typically takes the form of username + password. Username on it's own isn't enough, password on it's own isn't enough.

You can replace both with some sort of cryptographic function. That's what x509 certificates can do. That's what my yubikey can do. You can even do away with the username. Just have the password. But you need to make sure that is unique. Yacf does that by having "Jaded" plus "banana" to make the one ID token. Yubikey does that by the unique serial number burned into the device.

J

Yes, but I said “What is the importance of the password”, not “What is the importance of a password”.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:05:13 am »
The proposal from MS, Apple etc is to do away with 2FA.
Not really. It is still linked to your device, so it is a form of 2FA.

This is purely about Apple etc making more attempts to lock everyone into their ecosystem. Currently there are many 3rd party security systems providing 2FA authentication (I bet they boomed in business with covid lockdown).
It is based on the FIDO Alliance, which is an open standard, approved by W3C. So you could use it through a 3rd party provider if you wanted. Though yes, most people will just Apple / Google, if it is the easiest default option.

« Reply #34 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:17:46 am »

So it's an actual physical device. Yet another thing to carry around. Yet another clunky feature. How wonderful! Looks like you have to plug it into a USB slot in a computer. How do you connect it to a smartphone? Or a dumbphone? Or a computer that's so old it has no USB connection or so new it only has USB of a newer type? Or when you've forgotten it? Or when it's worn a hole in your pocket? Most of all, are people really going to welcome the need to carry round an extra thing when they could simply put in a four digit pin or use their finger? Moah humanz needed.

It's a thing you have, that can't be forged. Like the Titan chip in my phone (which will soon be in all phones), connection can be bluetooth/proximity and avoids the issues you are describing. Really rather cool.

ian

« Reply #35 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:58:35 am »
Stands to reason to use an existing device or a bit of you. People don't want to remember passwords, don't want to faff around with password managers, don't want to change their password every 13 days, and don't want to include a hieroglyph. These are solutions optimally solved by using a single password everywhere or writing them down on post-its (and hey, I have passwords on my office whiteboard – because, as Jaded says, they're not critical and anyone reading the board wouldn't have a clue what they are for, but hey, if you want go update Jira for me, have a ball).

Sure, if you're in the security services or somesuch, have a chip implanted up your arse and use butt-authentification. I don't need that for Netflix.

Password security is a bit like inventing a 25kg house key and then complaining people leave their doors open. Yes, I'm sure you can buy a key trolley to wheel it around for you, but that discounts human behaviour (the same flaw that means if you ask someone their password, they'll tell you).

« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2022, 10:08:40 am »
Not often I disagree with you, Ian, but I utterly disagree with you.

Sure, there are lot of people who only use passwords to access personal stuff - and they probably already do it all via fingerprint on their phone.

Using that for everything, including work (the military, government?) is ridiculous. You are taking something that needs secure access and removing the access control management from the organisation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2022, 10:29:39 am »
Well, that was my comment (and Jaded's) about security being fit for purpose, I think access to my Jira boards or Netflix account is an entirely different security paradigm to Nuclear Command Code System v3463.5656.432 (someone should change the password to that, I'm sure Trump reset it to 'Password01$'.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2022, 10:35:22 am »
Gosh, I've never heard of a yubikey but it must be something really important seeing how many times QG has mentioned it. But if it were really so important, surely she'd explain what it is? Quixotic Geek couldn't possibly be doing that geeky thing of assuming everyone, all the users of passwords and pins and fingerprints and everything else, is equally geeky, could she? Oh, she is. Well, I'll have to look it up for myself then. Oh look, there's a Wikipedia page:
The YubiKey is a hardware authentication device manufactured by Yubico to protect access to computers, networks, and online services that supports...

On my phone I hold it up and the NFC interface of the phone interacts with it. Or I can plug it into the USB-C port of my phone.

The thing is it is smaller than a key. My main yubikey sits on the bunch of keys alongside my house keys. I have another that is always plugged into my laptop.

No solution is perfect. What happens if you use fingerprints and cut or burn your finger? What happens if you use facial recognition, but get stung by a bee and your face swells? what happens if you forget a password? Everything has some disadvantage. IMHO, yubikeys are a least worst solution.

I agree with much of what you said, but why is google authenticator a problem? I know that SMS can be socially engineered (by phoning the network provider and pretending to be the user), but Authenticator is basically the same as one of those RSA security key things - you need a password/biometric thing to get at it, and it changes every minute, and for every login attempt, so even a successful phishing page won't get you enough data to correctly log into the real page.
I ask because at a previous job I wrote the 2fa integration for our service to use Authenticator (was previously password only, so at least somewhat better).

It can be MITM'd[1]. If you enter it into a phishing site, it will likely allow the attacker to login. Esp as most systems allow you to stay logged in for ages. The Yubikey is very hard to MITM.

Not a fan of yubikey, because it is a small physical object that can be lost.

2FA, via an app, is a better solution. Someone tries to connect to a secure system, the system alerts the app. What happens next varies. The app asks some version of 'Are you trying to log in?', and to be able to answer you have to be able to unlock the device and respond. Sure, a phone could be cloned, but that is getting into serious system penetration territory.

A phone is a big physical thing that can be lost, and is very expensive to boot.

My housemate lost his phone earlier this year. He couldn't buy another. Why? Cos to make the credit card purchase, he needed to do 2FA. What was his second factor? his phone. He couldn't get into his password manager. Why? Cos it used his phone for 2FA.

Yes a yubikey can be lost, same as I can lose my housekeys. *BUT* they are 50 euro each, so a lot easier to replace, and there's no reason not to have 2, one on your key ring, and one as a backup in your place you keep important documents (you do have a fire safe right?)

Where do passwords fail?
When the password is used once in a blue moon - people either forget, or use the same password for everything.
Over-complex requirements, making it very hard to remember.
Banning common word combinations (a very secure password method is to use a book - pick random page and lines down the page, use the first x words on that line. You can then record the page and line number in some way - but not the book.)

A lot of system designers use really shit password policies thinking they make things more secure, when they just make the system harder to use.

Stands to reason to use an existing device or a bit of you. People don't want to remember passwords,

As detailed up above, writing them down is legitimately ok if done properly.

don't want to faff around with password managers,

Most people use a password manager without thinking of it. Everytime they hit save password in their browser.

don't want to change their password every 13 days,

As detailed above, time limiting passwords goes against NIST best practice and is frankly a stupid idea.

and don't want to include a hieroglyph.

I'm assuming you didn't read my post explaining that this is a stupid requirement and that it's not needed to make passwords secure.

These are solutions optimally solved by using a single password everywhere or writing them down on post-its (and hey, I have passwords on my office whiteboard – because, as Jaded says, they're not critical and anyone reading the board wouldn't have a clue what they are for, but hey, if you want go update Jira for me, have a ball).

I love it when companies do this. Cos once you have one access you'd be amazed at what sort of side ways movement is possible. But sure, stick it on the white board if that helps.

Sure, if you're in the security services or somesuch, have a chip implanted up your arse and use butt-authentification. I don't need that for Netflix.

May I suggest a nice cup of tea? Maybe a nap? You seem really fucking grumpy today, more so than usual.

Password security is a bit like inventing a 25kg house key and then complaining people leave their doors open. Yes, I'm sure you can buy a key trolley to wheel it around for you, but that discounts human behaviour (the same flaw that means if you ask someone their password, they'll tell you).

Except it isn't. There's a lot of people who implement passwords *REALLY* badly. But a password, if done properly is secure, and easy to use. The issue isn't passwords, the issue is poor implementation. Finger prints don't solve this, face scans don't solve this, they just introduce new ways to fail.

Not often I disagree with you, Ian, but I utterly disagree with you.

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Sure, there are lot of people who only use passwords to access personal stuff - and they probably already do it all via fingerprint on their phone.

Using that for everything, including work (the military, government?) is ridiculous. You are taking something that needs secure access and removing the access control management from the organisation.

This is why I really like yubikeys. I can manage them, centrally for my whole organisation. They are harder to MITM. And they provide strong cryptographic authentication. Really like them.

Well, that was my comment (and Jaded's) about security being fit for purpose, I think access to my Jira boards or Netflix account is an entirely different security paradigm to Nuclear Command Code System v3463.5656.432 (someone should change the password to that, I'm sure Trump reset it to 'Password01$'.

Yes and no. From your point of view being able to use "mypassword1" as your netflix password is very simple for you. But for the organisation it's very annoying if someone guesses that password, and takes over your account. They now have to spend money on support recovering your account for you. You are not the only player in this game. Security is for everyone.

J

[1] Man in the middle attack.
--

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #39 on: 12 May, 2022, 11:00:38 am »
2FA is a pain in the wossname when person A is trying to do online Stuffs on behalf of person B, especially if their ICBM coordinates are a hundred miles apart.  The only plus point is that doing anything over the phone is exactly 28.648 times worse.  Unless the thing hangs up without being asked, in which case it is infinitely worse.  Last weekend we were trying to set up online banking for Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)’s current account.  It did not go well.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #40 on: 12 May, 2022, 11:36:03 am »

A phone is a big physical thing that can be lost, and is very expensive to boot.

My housemate lost his phone earlier this year. He couldn't buy another. Why? Cos to make the credit card purchase, he needed to do 2FA. What was his second factor? his phone. He couldn't get into his password manager. Why? Cos it used his phone for 2FA.

Yes a yubikey can be lost, same as I can lose my housekeys. *BUT* they are 50 euro each, so a lot easier to replace, and there's no reason not to have 2, one on your key ring, and one as a backup in your place you keep important documents (you do have a fire safe right?)

I had exactly this problem when I lost my phone.

Two problems, actually. Some systems required 2FA via SMS (yes, I know, but not my employers). Replacing the phone needed 2FA on the phone . . . I spent hours trying to get around this. Best part of a half day, solid.

Point taken about low cost of yubikey. I suspect my employers allow precisely one per person though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #41 on: 12 May, 2022, 12:01:20 pm »
Does yubikey need to be connected to the device you are logging in on? I know of several employers who block usb ports for example - are they unable to retain that and use yubikey?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 13 May, 2022, 09:47:39 pm »
Does yubikey need to be connected to the device you are logging in on? I know of several employers who block usb ports for example - are they unable to retain that and use yubikey?

It can use the NFC interface if your device supports it. Else yes, you need to plug it into the USB port.

If your employer is using a software block, you can allow the specific usb device. If your employer is using the good ole hot glue approach, you can glue in place a Yubikey 5 Nano, or Nano 5C...

J
--

« Reply #43 on: 14 May, 2022, 08:52:42 am »

It can use the NFC interface if your device supports it. Else yes, you need to plug it into the USB port.

If your employer is using a software block, you can allow the specific usb device. If your employer is using the good ole hot glue approach, you can glue in place a Yubikey 5 Nano, or Nano 5C...

J
NFC? I reckon they were blocking USB ports because they were regarded as newfangled technology!  ;D
The particular circumstance I'm thinking of also (not my work) needs a many to many relationship between users and machines, so it sounds like the USB approach is the only viable one.

« Reply #44 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:30:08 am »
I have had to reset my password every 60 days at the last 2 companies I have worked at.  Given Microsoft released advice saying this was an "ancient and obsolete mitigation of very low value" several years ago, I'm not sure anyone in corporate IT is going to be paying any attention.
Reference: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/06/microsoft-says-mandatory-password-changing-is-ancient-and-obsolete/

Corporate IT at my place removed the password changing requirement several years ago, based on exactly that argument.

But we also have biometrics. The system puts up a time-limited QR code, phone scans it, phone does biometrics (fingerprint/face according to phone), system lets you in. So the password is fairly pointless (until you lose your phone) as you have to be physically present at the login screen. When trying to access anything sensitive (eg payslips or elevated linux session) it pings your phone and you have to scan face/fingerprint again. Which guards against leaving your screen unlocked while you go to the lavatory.

This is somewhat similar to what's mentioned in the OP. It does not require leaking of biometrics (they all stay local to the phone). But it does require a straightforward method of recovery on losing a phone.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:33:40 am »
Ours is 60 days and they have just introduced ridiculous password complexity rules that mean even hard passwords, generated using utilities for that purpose, don't make the grade.

So they will be written down and kept near the computer. It may increase security against password guessing, but not against someone having a snoop around your desk.  Also, no-one will lock their computer (at home or when unsupervised) when walking away, because it will be too much of a PITA to put the password back in.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #46 on: 15 May, 2022, 12:03:41 pm »
they have just introduced ridiculous password complexity rules that mean even hard passwords, generated using utilities for that purpose, don't make the grade.

This really winds me up. Stupid rules different to everyone else's stupid rules, clearly made up by some useless tech manager who's slept through a two-hour security course.

Even worse are the "can't contain character x" rules, apparently based on some misguided Bobby Tables fear that a " or ; or space, etc means something special in some database language - err, surely you're not storing my actual password in a database are you? See QG's explanation above. The incoming password should be treated as simply a series of bytes and one-way encrypted. Allowing me to use any character available increases the security, not reduces it.

Then you've got the rules applied to "Memorable Questions". So my mother's maiden name can't be O'Brian or my grandfather's first name can't have fewer than 5 letters? Let me go back and change my parents for you.

Or the ones that not only ask for a password but also a memorable word. "Your memorable word must contain one of these special characters @£$%$^&". Eh? That's not a memorable word, it's another password.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #47 on: 15 May, 2022, 12:13:26 pm »
Then you've got the rules applied to "Memorable Questions". So my mother's maiden name can't be O'Brian or my grandfather's first name can't have fewer than 5 letters? Let me go back and change my parents for you.
I first heard of this problem, where O'Brian has to be entered as Obrian, in the context of... one of the largest banks in Ireland.  :facepalm: And it was even worse than this because they had two parallel systems, one of which could accept O'Brian, the other one insisting on Obrian.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #48 on: 15 May, 2022, 12:21:22 pm »
I'm sure the security services are all in favour of biometrics! There was a scene in a film where someone gouged out someone else's eye to gain entry to somewhere.

I don't like 2FA either, as that depends on your phone or email and they could stop working at any time. And there is no law that everyone must have a phone or email address. The more these things are kept separate, the better. I have managed to avoid it on online banking as the bank don't have my email or phone number, I use a card reader. The only 2FA I have to use is Paypal but I'm planning to take all money out of there, I only have a Paypal account because of Ebay and don't use it for anything else.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:46:42 pm »
I'm sure the security services are all in favour of biometrics! There was a scene in a film where someone gouged out someone else's eye to gain entry to somewhere.

Most modern systems should be able to do a sign of life check on this so that amputating a finger should not work.

But given the DC at work can only successfully scan my scar covered fingers about one time in ten, i am not sure how much I trust it attached to me or not.

I don't like 2FA either, as that depends on your phone or email and they could stop working at any time. And there is no law that everyone must have a phone or email address. The more these things are kept separate, the better. I have managed to avoid it on online banking as the bank don't have my email or phone number, I use a card reader. The only 2FA I have to use is Paypal but I'm planning to take all money out of there, I only have a Paypal account because of Ebay and don't use it for anything else.

2Fa doesn't mean it depends on your phone or email. *AN* implementation of 2FA can be based on your phone, or it can be based on an email. But it could also be a yubikey, or a card reader like your bank uses. 2FA is a concept, not a specific implementation. I even have a shell script that can produce 2FA codes the same way google authenticator app does.

I really detest using SMS for 2FA. A friend lives in a house which has no mobile signal. So everytime he wants to use paypal, he has to walk 200m up the road to get signal... SMS also has no QOS guarantee. Often the 2FA code sent by SMS is time limited to 5 mins or so, and I often see text's taking longer than 5 mins to arrive.

J
--