Author Topic: Apostophy?  (Read 6111 times)

Apostophy?
« on: 03 April, 2012, 09:03:54 am »

Would it be possible to have this money offset against Johns payments?

Johns or John's?

There is no letter missing so I assume Johns.

Re: Apostophy?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:05:13 am »
The payments belong to John.

John's
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:06:17 am »
+1
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:06:25 am »
+1 John's

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:09:33 am »
The payments belong to John.

John's

Or more than one John:

Johns'

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:10:24 am »
And if we're being picky: Apostrophe.

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:11:00 am »
A number of countries have citizens.

"The countrie's citizens" or "The countrys' citizens" or "The countries' citizens" ?

As in, does this follow the format of "The children's money" where children is the plural so the apostrophe comes before the final 's', because 'countries' is a non-standard plural of 'country' ?
Rust never sleeps

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:14:49 am »
One country's citizens. Several countries' citizens.

It's not whether the plural is regular, it's whether it ends in an S. If it does, the possessive apostrophe follows the S.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:24:43 am »

Would it be possible to have this money offset against Johns payments?

Johns or John's?

There is no letter missing so I assume Johns.

A Gerry Rafferty song has come to my aid:

Can I have my money back, money back, money back?
Can I have my money back, please sir?

Thanks all.

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:50:57 am »

It's not whether the plural is regular, it's whether it ends in an S. If it does, the possessive apostrophe follows the S.

Thank you !  I don't know why I bother with Google and Wikipedia sometimes, when yacf is ever present.
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2012, 09:59:37 am »
There are letters missing.  In full, it would have said '...John his money...'.  So an apostrophe is correct.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:04:48 am »

Thank you !  I don't know why I bother with Google and Wikipedia sometimes, when yacf is ever present.

strictly, ever-present!

This has been a good thread!  Nice touch from clarion about "his", which is what I was taught, too.   And that early Gerry Rafferty song is a great one.

Edit:  perhaps we could accept the word "apostrophy" to describe the greengrocer's (or greengrocers'!) art of using unnecessary apostrophes, e.g. banana's?

Do I hear, "Ye's"?

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:43:49 am »
How about 'catapostrophy' ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
 :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:55:42 am »
Maybe the money is being offset against payments towards some new Johns, in which case the apostrophe would be unnecessary.

Would deliberately leaving out or misusing the apostrophe as an act of grammatical rebellion be a case of apostrophe apostasy?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2012, 10:59:19 am »
Maybe the money is being offset against payments towards some new Johns, in which case the apostrophe would be unnecessary.

Would deliberately leaving out or misusing the apostrophe as an act of grammatical rebellion be a case of apostrophe apostasy?

d.

Just realised, after all these posts, that the thread title has no "r"!  This has given me apostrophe apostasy apoplexy.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:04:41 am »

As in St James's Square.

Just to complicate things.......
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:09:13 am »
This one might run...

I say and write, "St. James's Square," like you.  An increasing number use "St. James' Square", which is wrong.  It's possibly because it is slightly more difficult to say, but this sort of thing is being perpetrated increasingly by the broadcasting media.

« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:45:05 am »
I was always taught that if it is a human "possessive" use the apostrophe always comes after the "s"
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2012, 11:48:26 am »
St James' Park is now written as Sports Direct Arena.

Sad but true.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2012, 12:04:39 pm »
An increasing number use "St. James' Square", which is wrong.  It's possibly because it is slightly more difficult to say, but this sort of thing is being perpetrated increasingly by the broadcasting media.

St James Park (Exeter)
St James' Park (Newcastle)
St James's Park (London)

All are equally "correct" in the appropriate context. Except the Newcastle one, for the reasons already mentioned.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Apostrophe?
« Reply #21 on: 03 April, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
I say and write, "St. James's Square," like you. 

He didn't.

As in St James's Square.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #22 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »
There are letters missing.  In full, it would have said '...John his money...'.  So an apostrophe is correct.
This has been a good thread!  Nice touch from clarion about "his", which is what I was taught, too.   And that early Gerry Rafferty song is a great one.

That is what I was taught at school too, but it's not in fact correct.  The possessive 's' is the last vestige of English as a highly inflected language.

The Old English 'stone' would look like this:

Nom.  stan (pl. stanas)

Acc. stan (pl. stanas)

Gen. stanes (pl. stana)

Dat. stane (pl. stanum)

We now just use "stone" for everything including the dative - EXCEPT the genitive which still takes an 's' ending.  The varied plural endings have been eroded and we just use the nominative 'stones' for all cases.

If we're talking about a stone containing blood, i.e. the stone's blood, it's got nothing to do with "the stone his blood" as we were all taught at school, it's a leftover ending from Anglo-Saxon.

/public service announcement

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:54:59 pm »
How interesting!  Thanks for that. 

Dammit though, you've now given me a noun endings earworm.  puella puellam puellae ...

« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2012, 02:09:24 pm »

That is what I was taught at school too, but it's not in fact correct.  The possessive 's' is the last vestige of English as a highly inflected language.

The Old English 'stone' would look like this:

Nom.  stan (pl. stanas)

Acc. stan (pl. stanas)

Gen. stanes (pl. stana)

Dat. stane (pl. stanum)

We now just use "stone" for everything including the dative - EXCEPT the genitive which still takes an 's' ending.  The varied plural endings have been eroded and we just use the nominative 'stones' for all cases.

If we're talking about a stone containing blood, i.e. the stone's blood, it's got nothing to do with "the stone his blood" as we were all taught at school, it's a leftover ending from Anglo-Saxon.

/public service announcement

I'm a bit (ok, very) rusty, but German's similar - it's the 's' of the genetive case too (but without the apostrophe)
http://german.about.com/library/blcase_gen.htm

I've never heard of the 'his' thing, but then again I don't remember being taught any grammar until learning French/German..