Author Topic: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE  (Read 35860 times)

Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE
« on: 04 August, 2012, 05:46:12 pm »
I cannot get the Conti tyres onto the rims.   Would be a nightmare on the road. 

Don't know what to do now.   :(

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Rigida Chrina - BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2012, 05:52:07 pm »
1.  Try a few more times.  The tyre beads may stretch a bit.

or 2.  Look up tips on this forum for fitting Marathon Plus tyres and try the same methods with your Contis (which work by the roadside as well as at home).

or 3.  Get Vittoria tyres.

or 4.  Resort to a bit of the old ultra-violence.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

PH

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »
I haven't used Contis for some time (no particular reason) but I use Marathons (straight no plus).  I had a Rigida Chrina for a back wheel last year and was able to get Marathons on with no levers, from new.  I know I'm a Northerner and therefore hard but I have arthritic hands.  I looked at the Spa video a couple of years back and it was really helpful.  I think it's too early to bin your rims, PB.

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:14:46 pm »
This is a major PITA with what are otherwise very good value rims. I managed to get michelin tyres on them with a lot of sweat and levers with an indent that hooks under the bead. Panaracer paselas were a lot easier. The VAR levers look like the way to go - they are a lot cheaper than the difference in price between chrinas and the equivalent in another brand.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:16:52 pm »
Just persist, and push the bead into the middle of the rim as you go round.  You get there eventually.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »
Another vote for keep trying!

What contis are you using?

I ride a dynohub wheel with a chrina - I use conti 4 seasons and don't find the rim overly offensive (there are many worse combinations (mainly anything with Scwalbe Marathon on the sidewall!)).

I can not fault the chrina wheel I have - it is a great rim.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:34:36 pm »
Sorry guys for those who say keep trying but two hours, grazed knuckles, pinched blood blisters and a cut in the top of my left thumb have made me lose my sense of humour big time.

That anybody can produce a rim which is so unfit for purpose beggars belief.  However technically good it may be, it is utter shite if you cannot use it easily.   Mlle PB would simply not be able to deal with an issue at roadside, as in fact I wouldn't with this rim.

This is the first time I've ever encountered anything this bad.   It is the worst rim for getting a tyre on/off by a very long way indeed.   I knew that it was going to be trouble when I almost couldn't pull the first bead over the rim, let alone try to get the second bead over.

VAR levers and the like are a great idea but they simply shouldn't be necessary.   I will be writing to Rigida with some very very strong words of dissatisfaction.

I will then take the as yet unshod front wheel with me around bike shops and try various tyres until I find something that goes on relatively easily.

« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »
The "tyre-vs-rim combo" thread had OLD Chrinas as really easy, but recent ones tougher. I think you've just confirmed this! :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »
I find conti tyres to have some of the smallest circ beads of any manufacturer.

On rims that I can fit a michelin tyre to without needing levers, I need 3 levers and swearing to fit a conti.

The Chrina rim has high sidewalls. It is hell fitting many tyres.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

PH

« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:08:23 pm »
Another thought - What tape are you using?  If it's cloth, you might try swapping it with plastic, it'll probably get you a couple of extra mm with the bead in the well.
You're right that tools shouldn't be needed, but I've never come across a combination of narrow* tyre and rim that a VAR lever couldn't easily cope with and I've fitted a few for people ready to give up.

*I haven't tried it on any tyre over 30mm, I can see theres a limit to how wide it'll go.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:54:51 pm »
Put it on as far as you can and leave near a radiator (or an Aga is suitable, I am reliably informed) overnight.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:57:24 pm »
Apologies in advance if you're already using the correct method for fitting tyres, but most people get it badly wrong. This is how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

On a brutally tight rim you can use a third toe strap to 'walk' the bead along the rim, a couple of inches at a time. One slight improvement is to use the heel of the palm to lift the bead rather than the thumb as shown, as it allows you to apply much more force without stressing your hands. Mine are ruined with RSI, but I have no real difficulty even with very tricky tyre-rim pairings.

Failing that, there's a list of tyres in order of bead size on these very forums. Contis are rated as amongst the tightest tyres to fit.

« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:10:36 pm »
Put it on as far as you can and leave near a radiator (or an Aga is suitable, I am reliably informed) overnight.

What would you have me do 30 miles from anywhere when it is cold and pissing it down?     :D

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:12:22 pm »
Hmmm...

I see that we've had this discussion previously.

I was seething nearly as much as you PB. I eventually managed to get a Rubino Pro on but wouldn't fancy the prospect of trying to do so at the side of the road with cold wet hands. I haven't used the wheel yet, having got the tyre on I thought I'd leave it a while before seeing if it's eased at all before risking it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2012, 10:00:02 pm »

What would you have me do 30 miles from anywhere when it is cold and pissing it down?     :D

Once a tyre has been on a first time, it'll go on easier the next...
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:27:45 pm »
You are a true optimist. 

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2012, 08:25:20 pm »
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2012, 10:01:16 pm »
If they are folding bead, they will stretch a bit.

I could only fit the Durano Plus with innner tube on my Chrina rim after I'd fitted it and taken it off a few times sans inner tube.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20 on: 05 August, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »
Possibly trying another tyre is the answer (annoying if you have  favourite tyre model you don't want to switch from). I have these rims, and I've used Specialized armadillo, and Bontrager hardcase, both in 23mm width. They're tight, but not that bad. I have also used a Pedro's tyre lever, which is awesome, and very cheap from Parker International. I think I broke a tyre lever or two previously (just normal plastic ones with metal insides), but the pushing the bead down and occasional use of the Pedro's lever makes my tyres quite manageable to fit.

I like the idea that in the event of a rapid deflation, my tyres will stay in place rather than roll off the rim before I can stop.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:58:33 am »
Vittoria tyres, is my suggestion.  Rubino Pro for a decent compromise between speed and practicality, for example.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2012, 06:34:49 am »
Pity then that we talk of compromise when we should be talking of quality.   

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #23 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:47:06 am »
As you know I am not highly skilled at mechanical feats but I've never had fraustration like the OP reports.  I have used Chrinas with M+ and Contis.

As I've said before, since I learnt the shoe trick I've not had any trouble with fitting any tyre to any rim

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:04:49 am »
1. Talc the tube well.  It really helps with the last bit.

2. Try thinner rim tape as has been suggested.

3.  If all else fails, fit the tyre without the tube using tyre levers a couple of times.  This will stretch the bead a little.  Then try again with the tube.

4. Don't worry too much about changing a tube on the road.  Many tyres are tight when new (Vredestein Fortezzas are a struggle on most rims) but can easily be fitted and removed without the aid of tools once they've been sitting, inflated, on a rim for a couple of weeks.

EDIT: I see mrcharly has already suggested 3 and 4, so I'm completely redundant here  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.