Author Topic: Pentax DA 50mm 1.8 lens  (Read 1244 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Pentax DA 50mm 1.8 lens
« on: 25 February, 2015, 01:01:49 pm »
I'm on the lookout for a faster lens for my K200d, which is an APS sensor sized camera.

I've stumbled across the Pentax 50mm 1.8 which looks ideal for my needs/budget and got a good write up in AP.

I can see them on Ebay with a Buy It Now of 90 quid, sold by accessory world.  Is there a catch? Is it going to be a grey import? Should I worry?

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Pentax DA 50mm 1.8 lens
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2015, 03:08:01 pm »
My guess is grey import without a valid warranty.

Official Pentax dealer SRS Microsystems with good customer service has it for £99 + £2.99 postage:
   www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/lenses/pentax-lenses/pentax-k-mount-lenses/pentax-smc-da-50mm-f1-8-lens.html

Must admit, the lens is new to me.  I haven't been keeping up with Pentax.  Wonder how it compares with the ancient 50 mm lenses?  Will be a lot lighter, at least.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2015, 04:20:19 pm »
It looks like Pentax's answer to Canon's "Nifty Fifty" (or "Plastic Fantastic")

I have the Canon and it makes a really nice "close" portrait lens (80mm equivalent).
It's pin sharp when stopped down a bit and not too bad wide open (where pin-sharpness isn't usually what I'm looking for anyway).

John Lewis sell the Pentax for <£100 with 2 year guarantee.
For the price it's hard to see where you'd go wrong.  It will feel a bit cheap perhaps.....but it is cheap.

Ideally I'd like something to cover the"long" end of portraits, maybe the 70-200 f2.8, but they are in a whole other price bracket. 

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2015, 02:05:55 pm »
So I was in Burgess Hill today for work, and managed a diversion to Park Cameras.  Got one, £99.00. It's so tiny, so light. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)